U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,420,386 times

Advertisements

o_c, is t really down? It sounds way too decorated to be what comes to mind as the traditional, lumpy but wonderful ones are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM

20,111 posts, read 20,227,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
o_c, is t really down? It sounds way too decorated to be what comes to mind as the traditional, lumpy but wonderful ones are.
I never mentioned down in the first place...or the second. LOL
I just said 'comforter', which, if searched for, includes down, poly, cotton and , as some complained, filling so flat as to be a big fat........er....exaggeration.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,420,386 times
Aha, so it's a pretty comforter. No worries there, wash away! My mom has two lightweight down ones and she uses them year round......in Miami, no less.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,467,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I never mentioned down in the first place...or the second. LOL
I just said 'comforter', which, if searched for, includes down, poly, cotton and , as some complained, filling so flat as to be a big fat........er....exaggeration.
I know what you are talking about - I have these on my beds also. They are rolled down to the end of the bed at night so they don't get beat up and that's when the duvet covered down comforter comes out - to cover at night. One is very "pretty" but that is covered up with the rather plain duvet.

I was reading that you can make yarn balls to use in the dryer rather than tennis balls etc... These are usually made with wool yarn and don't give off the chemicals that the rubber balls do when heated.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Default Awwwwwwwww

This is the way it's suppose to be:

Husband and Wife Die Holding Hands Within Hours of Each Other After 67 Years of Marriage

Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Aha, so it's a pretty comforter. No worries there, wash away! My mom has two lightweight down ones and she uses them year round......in Miami, no less.

My original question was about those that bought these pretty ones, reviewed that they were so nice to lay on. If you are sleeping on one instead of sheets, washing would be ( at least in my house) frequent.
Believe me, though, if I didn't fold mine out of the way, here in Florida, I'd be a lot more apt to sleep on it than under it!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,158,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I know what you are talking about - I have these on my beds also. They are rolled down to the end of the bed at night so they don't get beat up and that's when the duvet covered down comforter comes out - to cover at night. One is very "pretty" but that is covered up with the rather plain duvet.
Duvets don't have to be plain. It is very easy to make a duvet out of any kind of washable fabric. There are so many pretty patterns and colors in cotton and blends. You basically sew up one huge "envelope" (after preshrinking) and leave one end open with a few ties. Shopping for the fabric is fun.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Duvets don't have to be plain. It is very easy to make a duvet out of any kind of washable fabric. There are so many pretty patterns and colors in cotton and blends. You basically sew up one huge "envelope" (after preshrinking) and leave one end open with a few ties. Shopping for the fabric is fun.
But, just a for instance, why would somebody buy something like this.....
Amazon.com - Geneva Home Fashion 7-Piece Ella Pinch Pleat Comforter Set, King, Taupe -

or this..........

Amazon.com - Hallmart Collectibles Bella Donna King 7 Piece Comforter Bed In A Bag Set -

and then put it in a duvet?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,158,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
But, just a for instance, why would somebody buy something like this.....
Amazon.com - Geneva Home Fashion 7-Piece Ella Pinch Pleat Comforter Set, King, Taupe -

or this..........

Amazon.com - Hallmart Collectibles Bella Donna King 7 Piece Comforter Bed In A Bag Set -

and then put it in a duvet?
If you have a washer big enough to wash it (does something that bulky ever get really clean in a wash ), or don't mind sending it out to be washed, no big deal.

So I'm not sure what you're asking. The tag will give the cleaning instructions, it's either wash or dry clean (if you don't mind the chemicals).

ETA: I checked back and see that all you asked is if people sleep on their comforters. Sorry about the cleaning advice.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, I know. I have made all mine using sheets & Velcro. They are for protection only so I don't have to dry clean them as often. I washed a down comforter once and all the feathers & down stuck together so it was flat as a pancake. isn't the maximum width of fabric 60"? I'd have to measure that's wide enough. I have a antique 4 poster bed - it's high so I use queen sheets for the duvet.

P.S. I wouldn't sleep "on" a down comforter. Ick - you'd be cleaning it all the time even if you covered it - but why bother with all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement