Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times

Advertisements

OMG I was standing in line at the grocery store and saw on a tabloid cover that Di had passed, I couldn't contain myself.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Isn't that pretty old news? Princess Diana passed in 1998, right????????

Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Some folks never get over royalty and celebs, lol.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It was the question from Gandalara that prompted the memory.

"Ever get upset over the death of a celebrity and wonder where the heck did that come from?"

Old 03-02-2015, 06:34 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
IWhen I read that Leonard Nimoy passed away & then read about his accomplshments, my first bought was, "He lived a full life." When a person does what they set out to do, they deserve that final rest, at least that's how I see it.
With both Dianna & Robin, it was sad because it couldn't have been an easy death and it was unexpected. After a certain age, I think we see what the outcome will be.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
Hi everyone. I have so missed the daily contact but, I'm not really in Fergus Falls, it's the closest town. We really live in the middle of nowhere. The closest tower is 5 miles away & our machines get slower & slower as the month progesses. So, to preserve our useage, I either have to get up early or stay up late. We get free time from 2am to 8am. I just can't stay up until 2 very often, & also tend to sleep in. So, don't get here often.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
DH saw our one neighbor who lives down the street yesterday morning while walking our dog. She takes her dog out three times a day for long walks. I would put her age in the late 70's to early 80's. She told DH she is going back to Chicago tomorrow to live with family, her house will probably be sold and she doesn't know if she will be back. DH said she was matter of fact about it but subdued.

That makes me sad, I love seeing her every day and I know she loves it here. I don't know the reason for her moving, but wish she didn't have to go until after Chicago thaws out. I hope being with family will make that not matter at all for her. I'll stop by later today to say my goodbyes.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
DH saw our one neighbor who lives down the street yesterday morning while walking our dog. She takes her dog out three times a day for long walks. I would put her age in the late 70's to early 80's. She told DH she is going back to Chicago tomorrow to live with family, her house will probably be sold and she doesn't know if she will be back. DH said she was matter of fact about it but subdued.

That makes me sad, I love seeing her every day and I know she loves it here. I don't know the reason for her moving, but wish she didn't have to go until after Chicago thaws out. I hope being with family will make that not matter at all for her. I'll stop by later today to say my goodbyes.
This is the sad reality with many elders in moving away to a nice climate. As age advances, being with some kind of family seems to make the most sense, though I wonder why the family couldn't wait a month to have her come back. Rough time up north right now. It's into March and we have mountains of snow, frigid temps and wind, probably much the same in the Windy City.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times
meo, I can relate. Our internet use is not restricted, but we are in the boonies. Town pop. 650.

j_j, sad for your nice neighbor. It doesn't sound like it's her choice, IMO.

Hugs, all, it's a baalmy 29F and the winds are howling. Hope all are warm and safe.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
Seeing her walk the dog daily didn't clue me into the possibility of obvious problems, so I was caught off guard. The woman across the street from her lost her son two years ago and her husband before that. I see her out on her walker with her home aide and I wouldn't be surprised to see her moving from her home at any point. She's the one who told me all the roads in these neighborhoods were crushed shell 30 years ago before they paved them.

These cycles of life happen, but they still make me sad. In NY, I lost three neighbors I loved 15 years ago: The Commodore, Farmer and BagAss. Yes that's what names they were known by, I always side stepped calling BagAss by by his moniker when I could. They all had great stories to tell and were sweet, retired guys usually looking to get away from their wives for a while, so their stories could get long.

I've always like older people and listening to them, there's a lot to learn and sometimes for me the lesson has simply been patience. I'm still working on accepting change though.

One day, sooner than I expect, I'll be running out of older people to listen to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.