U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 12:02 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times

Advertisements

[quote=jean_ji;38655311]Seeing her walk the dog daily didn't clue me into the possibility of obvious problems, so I was caught off guard. The woman across the street from her lost her son two years ago and her husband before that. I see her out on her walker with her home aide and I wouldn't be surprised to see her moving from her home at any point. She's the one who told me all the roads in these neighborhoods were crushed shell 30 years ago before they paved them.

These cycles of life happen, but they still make me sad. In NY, I lost three neighbors I loved 15 years ago: The Commodore, Farmer and BagAss. Yes that's what names they were known by, I always side stepped calling BagAss by by his moniker when I could. They all had great stories to tell and were sweet, retired guys usually looking to get away from their wives for a while, so their stories could get long.

I've always like older people and listening to them, there's a lot to learn and sometimes for me the lesson has simply been patience. I'm still working on accepting change though.

One day, sooner than I expect, I'll be running out of older people to listen to.[/quote]

Maybe this is why people start talking to themselves - somebody old to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
LOL Umb; thankfully we have C-D forums!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is the sad reality with many elders in moving away to a nice climate. As age advances, being with some kind of family seems to make the most sense, though I wonder why the family couldn't wait a month to have her come back. Rough time up north right now. It's into March and we have mountains of snow, frigid temps and wind, probably much the same in the Windy City.
Our "nice climate" has been detoured. We have rain and snow advisories through mid-week. After over 24 hours of rain, and more coming, the two rivers here...the Verde and Oak Creek...are about to flood. They are telling people where they can get sandbags. We do have some big floods here once in a while. It snowed in Sedona this morning but, of course, it didn't last. All I know is it is cold, windy and really wet here. I'm glad I'm off the next two days and don't have to go anywhere if I don't want to.

You know, I really think you ought to come out to Arizona, just once. In Feb. preferably. I think that's about our most perfect month of the entire year.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 AM

OMG Brat, flooding and snow? Start digging the moat..........

Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG Brat, flooding and snow? Start digging the moat..........
LOL...it's starting to feel that way! I drove by the house I'm buying yesterday. What a mess! The entire property is one big muddy mess. That's why I can't wait to get in there and get some ground cover going. Yikes! I see lots and lots of rock in my future! lol Fortunately it's the best time of year to plant and get things done.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
[quote=Umbria;38656862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

One day, sooner than I expect, I'll be running out of older people to listen to.[/quote]

I always defer to my higher, older self.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:48 AM

hmmmmmmmmm, old and high, LOL

Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,351,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
After over 24 hours of rain,
I got it before you, and now you have clear skies and sunshine on its way

Did ya hear Huntington Beach got hit with so much hail that it looked like snow? The surfers were snowboarding, LOL ... Slideshow of pictures

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I got it before you, and now you have clear skies and sunshine on its way

Did ya hear Huntington Beach got hit with so much hail that it looked like snow? The surfers were snowboarding, LOL ... Slideshow of pictures
Skies aren't totally clear but I can see some blue up there! No rain today but things are still really wet. No flooding! My brother posted a neat pic of Sedona snow on Facebook from yesterday. He has such fantastic views from his house.

I saw the hail on the news this morning. Very strange for SoCal. This weather just gets more and more puzzling.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:35 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,205,973 times
Some wacky weather here too. Today a high of 60 or maybe better, with around half an inch of rain. Tomorrow it's only expected to reach 30 degrees with 3 to 5 inches of snow and ice and then temps will drop down to an overnight low of just 7 degrees. What are the poor trees and shrubs supposed to "think"?
Looking at the long range forecast it does appear that we are through the worst of winter and can look forward to some milder spring days coming soon. Yeah! I am so ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement