U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 PM

8,320 posts, read 12,073,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Happy Anniversary, mmob! {{{hugs}}} What exotic locale are you at now?
That depends. How exotic of a locale do you consider Los Angeles?

We flew in to LAX yesterday afternoon from the Outback of Australia. We had a three-hour flight to Melbourne, then a 2hr layover before catching our 14hr 45min flight here. What's interesting is that we left Melbourne at 5:45pm Wednesday afternoon and arrived in Los Angeles at 1:00pm that same day. IOW, we arrived in LA almost 5hrs before we took off from Melbourne.

Sort of like being in the Twilight Zone. DooDooDooDoo... DooDooDooDoo...

Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,124,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
We've still had a really mild winter. We're not like those New England and New York people. They're tough and they can take it no matter how cold and snowy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Eh, we're not tough, we're trapped! {{{{{{{HiW}}}}}}}

People in Florida brag that everything is air-conditioned. But you have heated houses, cars, stores, & c. Who brags about that? The only difference is that northerners don't need to justify a place that's miserable for eight months. Bragging weather is window open weather.

Westerners in hot desert seem to take it for what it is. There's a golf tournament at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley every summer. I've hiked in the Superstitions in the summer. Dry heat really is easier.

You can stay warm outside in New York in the winter, but they sure can't stay cool outside in the Florida summer. Take a trip to Stowe next winter; you might end up moving in a different direction.

I have a client who's fourth generation on a farm in northern Vermont. As far as she's concerned, it's paradise. There's cross country skiing right out the door.

I might get that two or three days every winter.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

8,320 posts, read 12,073,472 times
nm

Old 03-05-2015, 01:25 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,150,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People in Florida brag that everything is air-conditioned. But you have heated houses, cars, stores, & c. Who brags about that? The only difference is that northerners don't need to justify a place that's miserable for eight months. Bragging weather is window open weather.

Westerners in hot desert seem to take it for what it is. There's a golf tournament at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley every summer. I've hiked in the Superstitions in the summer. Dry heat really is easier.

You can stay warm outside in New York in the winter, but they sure can't stay cool outside in the Florida summer. Take a trip to Stowe next winter; you might end up moving in a different direction.

I have a client who's fourth generation on a farm in northern Vermont. As far as she's concerned, it's paradise. There's cross country skiing right out the door.

I might get that two or three days every winter.
LOL..what do you say about Texas then ? We only have a 3 month span for winter.

Texas weather: hot, really hot, damn hot, winter

I'll take the warm weather for 8-10 months a year any day.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Nope, your memory is only partially correct (or partially faulty as the case may be).

I retired March 3, 2010, hopped on a plane to Vegas @ 4:45pm (iirc) that afternoon, and joined my wife who had moved into our new house a couple of weeks earlier on Valentine's Day.
That's it no more effort at CD nostalgia on my part.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,356,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I can't wait either! To me, it's worth losing an hour of sleep to have more light at the end of the day.
When you're retired, you go to bed and get out of bed when you want to.
I haven't lost an hour yet

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,150,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ain't it the truth. The time change doesn't mean as much to me now that I'm retired.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We just got back from a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Rode with the top down. Lots of bikes. Pedal and motor. My husband commented that people come here from all parts of the country to do this drive-- that we can do every day. In fact it is our preferred route to Fresh Market. We are feeling thankful.
What has your winter in Asheville been like in terms of ice, snow and cold? Is it appreciably different from the Northeast?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Amen, sistah I do like it lighter later.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times
Default Excellent service from the Calif. state taxing authority

Today I received my Calif. state tax refund (electronically deposited into my checking account), eight calendar days after the electronic filing was acknowledged as received. Not too shabby in my opinion. The federal refund should be along shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement