U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What a dull life we lead. We're merely staying put. But Spring has sprung and soon the dogwoods, redbuds and wild plums will be regaling us with color and the oaks and other deciduous trees will be leafing out. Our favorite time of the year is upon us replete with April showers a bit early but most welcome.

No drought here and the thousands of springs will continue to provide millions of gallons a day of fresh water while the rivers, streams and creeks will continue to flow. Life is good in these here Aux Arcs!
It's great to live in a place you love, I'm lucky to have two for now.

That's the reason I loved going through the Virginia mountains last year: deep luscious green backdrop with dogwood and redbud in abundance. It was such a cold year last year, it was late in coming. This year it will be gone by the time we go through. It's those memories that stay with me though, the ones I didn't expect and wasn't looking for.

The dogwood may still be in bloom when we return to NY along with forsythia, azalea and rhodendron. We live in the Hudson Highlands and spring is spectacular there too. We may miss the best of it though, each season is different. I'm happy as long as I can catch the garden before it gets out of hand, I have perennials to keep in line.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-17-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
Thanks, jean_ji, that's exactly the route I was planning on. Word up is to avoid DC at all costs, and with six cats, a parrot, and Dh who may need to stop at a moments notice I think it's the best way to go.

My haymonger is laying in tons of bales for a late spring, he says they may not make the first cut until well into June and he doesn't want to run out of it. I bet we have violets late like last year. Your blooms will be there.

AWWWWW Curm, here's to static, typical, no drama days...... I miss those up here. Oh, well, WTH; we had our good times here and look forward to more down south.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,240,764 times
Hey, thanks everyone for the good wishes. I will be okay, am sure.

My plans are "wait and see". As time passes, I realize I would miss my daughter's company alot if I moved. And, there isn't anything wrong with AZ, except for the sweltering heat in summer. It's been a marvelous winter, and even rained enough to keep me satisfied. The only big change is I got kicked off the senior property tax plan, cause my deceased mom left me a little annuity in her will. It put me $800 over the limit so my property taxes are going way up and I may look for a smaller home, somewhere.

Happy St. Pat's Day to Everyone !!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2015, 06:28 PM

Break a leg tomorrow Barb pun intended; you've done this before no sweat, I pray you sail through this one even better.

That stinks about your taxes, but it was a nice gift from mom.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK, so where is everyone??? No chat news or news about moving alone to another state? You all must be very busy. Now that the snow has abated, are you all outside enjoying spring or what? For me, I am getting ready for my next hip replacement on Wed. and can't wait to get it over with. Just hope it goes as well as the first one.

We all hope that it goes even better than the first one.

So come on folks ! I will need stuff to read and am counting on you all ! Help !
Ok, how about we tell you some stories from our lives. I'll start.

Once upon a time there were a bunch of kids who lived in many different places, came from all sorts of families and had interesting lives. After a few decades they happened to meet up at a place called City Data in the retirement forum.

One of them was me. Some of the recent posts teasing ER about having to endure CA weather had me remembering different places in CA that I enjoyed visiting. One of those places was Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park on a camping trip with some gal pals. Kim and I managed to go a day early and so it was just the two of us the first night. I had some freeze dried food meant for backpacking but brought it with me to try out. The best we could say about that dinner was "well, that was interesting".

The rest of our friends arrived the next day in two additional cars loaded with enough food to feed a small army. On Saturday morning we spent a long time fixing a sumptuous breakfast - eggs, sausage, home fried potatoes, french toast, fresh fruit etc. By the time we finished and were stuffed and had cleaned up it was about time to go up the road and explore the lighthouse at Point Sur.

After the guided tour the docent said we could take some time and have whatever snacks we'd brought along. Most of the other folks had simple stuff, an energy bar and a drink or some fruit. Not the six of us, we'd brought a huge spread, even though it had not been that long since breakfast we all chowed down with gusto. But we were young and so full of energy that we worked it off with a good long hike when we returned to camp.

Next story please:

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM

20,315 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Stories? Well, once upon a time there was a young married woman who took a road trip to Florida. Since her husband was a scuba diver, diving became the theme of the trip. Now this woman wasn't that good a swimmer and no one would ever get a scuba tank on her back!

Well, Cap'n Bob (or something) took a few folks out for a little diving trip in the Florida keys. While the others who were brave were donning their tanks and other apparatus, the intimidated young woman decided that she would accomplish this much: although she was afraid to wear a scuba tank, she put on goggles, snorkle and fins. The others had told her that beneath the water was a statue of Jesus Christ. Supposedly, his arm was out stretched so that a person doing a shallow 15' dive could actually touch it. For a 15' dive you didn't need a scuba tank.

So over the side --and sliding into a deep dive, the statue appeared to her. It seemed impossible to dive that deep but with determination, she did manage to keep going and finally touched his hand. That was all. The others did much more and stayed underwater for almost endless amounts of time. But for that one young woman, a meaningful goal had been met.

Next story?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 AM

5,101 posts, read 3,575,326 times
both those stories were marvelous Thank you for sharing.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:01 AM

Stories from the Cub ranch....

I have a Cub Cadet push mpwer that was only used one season in the barn. The entire outer fascia sheared off of its bolts. DH refuses to junk it b/c the motor is like new. The darn fascia is 300 bucks. You should have seen the look on his face when I complained of the rattling when I was mowing and he discovered the problem. The look of disbelief was incredible, it was like I had murdered a baby.

Not to be outdone, once when I was visiting my mom for ten days, DH heard a noise in the house. He retrieved his fathers old WWII German pistol from the closet. This gun has no safety, some sort of pin thingy to fire it or whatnot. Not being able to tell if it was loaded, he pointed the gun at our bed with eleven reclining cats on it.

Yep, you guessed it. BLAM! He shot our mattress. No cats were harmed in the event.

Oh, it gets better........

DH then decided to wash the dishes. He filled the dishwasher and put Palmolive in the dispenser cup. Later, horrified, he had to wrangle the shop vac down from the barn to chase the suds that were coming down the hallway, headed for the bedroom.

much better.....

He then thought it would be nice if he vacuumed before I came home. He took out the upright and began to clean. A loud squealing noise commenced and myriads of black smoke poured into the room. The vacuuming ceased.

All of this information was revealed to me on the phone about two days before I was to fly back. He sounded like the five year old who knocked the cookie jar off of the counter. It was all I could do to keep from letting him hear me laughing, the tears were rolling down my cheeks.

After assuring him that I would let him live for not shooting any cats and that I could probably fix the vacuum, I told him I loved him and said if he touched the washer and dryer he was a dead man.

I never visited my mother for more than seven days after that. He would diligently wash the one fork, knife, spoon and plate every night so no dishes would pile up in the dishwasher. And replacing the belt on a Panasonic upright was a piece of cake.

I sware to cod this is a true story. Whatever you do, don't ever think that a guy who can rebuild an engine or discuss how the data streams on a GM work can use your appliances.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
Hehe.

My DH is a jack of all trades and actually a master of a few. He knows how to repair anything in the house, but better yet he can and does use them all too.

He is not perfect however, this is my favorite story from our earlier days that keeps him humble.

We went canoeing with a group of friends on the Dowagiac River in Michigan. We hadn't been on this river with them, but the rest of them were familiar with it. Getting ready to launch, they went throught the check list and asked DH if he had any cutters with him. DH looked puzzled but said sure and went to the car to get them. The other guys had not brought the cutters and were relieved.

We took off and it was a beautiful day and a fun canoe trip, but near the end a sudden storm with thunder and lightening popped up and we went ashore on a wooded bank. The mosquitoes were awful under the trees. The guys asked DH for the cutters. Not cutters, but Cutter's mosquito spray. Oops. That explained Dh's puzzlement on why they would need wire cutters on a canoe trip. He was teased and always asked if he had the Cutter's every time we went canoeing with them thereafter.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 AM

^^^ too funny! Should have asked for Skin So Soft!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement