U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The long one! Going home, we cross over to 95 and in SC get over to 81 all the way to 84. 81 is so beautiful in the spring through Virginia, I love those rolling mountains. It's a hundred miles more going that way but so much easier than 95 and trying to time it right going by DC to NYC. The restaurants and rest stops on 95 are wall to wall people. We did it once the first time down in one car, there's no way we could keep together, safely, in two cars. We travel with pets too which makes for a many more stops along the way.
Very wise, very wise.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Good stories. CC, at least he is willing to do things (problem is he doesn't know HOW.) The dishwasher event sounds like an episode from I Love Lucy.

Cutters, lol. THAT was funny.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
My story is also a swimming story.

My dad took us to the local pool when we were kids (I was 5). I wasn't terribly fond of it, so I mostly just waded and waited (dad was under orders from mom to get us all out of the house). My older sister had just learned to swim, and decided that I would automagically learn to swim if she simply pulled me into the deeper water.

Well, I had no clue! So I just bobbed around, until some guy realized something was wrong just about the time I would have run out of breath, and carried me over so I could hang onto the side of the pool and get myself back to the shallows.

So after that, I refused to believe that I could swim. I stayed in water no higher than my waist. It wasn't until I was 8 years old that a wise camp counselor gathered us (not a small group!) who were convinced that we could not swim. Or even float. She brought us to waist high water, and persuaded us just to lie down on the water surface. It would feel good on that hot day, and if after all, if we found we truly couldn't float then we could simply stand up.

Lo and behold! I really could float. And if I could float, I could swim.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:45 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
oddstray, what a good story. Your sister probably thought she was helping; maybe that's what someone did to her!

I remember a family friend from Europe who told us that when he was a boy, the uncle just threw them off a dock. Literally, sink or swim. Makes me wonder who rescued them, did they sink or did they swim.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:42 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
I learned to swim at camp. My bikini bottoms are still in the St. John's River outside of Jacksonville, FL. Thank heavens for towels! And it was a Catholic camp

Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
81 is so beautiful in the spring through Virginia, I love those rolling mountains.
I'll be taking a road trip, probably on the 28th of this month from Floyd up I-81 to Jefferson, MD. My two dogs will be going along since I have to bring them to meet the two new senior black labs that I applied to adopt. They are a bonded pair of sisters, named Bluebell (who goes by Bella) and Daisy. They were owner surrendered several months ago and both have been on diets since they need some serious weight loss. Assuming that all the dogs get along they will come home with me at that time. Good thing I have a Suburban or I'd have to ask a friend to also drive up in her car but I know that I can fit all of them in my vehicle.

It's about a 4.5 hour drive each way, plus pit stops for all of us. The first senior black lab that I adopted I went up to Harrisburg, PA to get and that was a 6 hour drive. Of course I didn't need to take my gang with me and only had the one dog for the return trip. I may see if a friend can come with me, just for the company and a little help with the dogs when we hit the rest stop.

If you'd like to see some pictures of them here's the link to the rescue's webpage. They are the second pair down. How could I not fall in love with those beautiful faces.

Pairs

Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'll be taking a road trip, probably on the 28th of this month from Floyd up I-81 to Jefferson, MD. My two dogs will be going along since I have to bring them to meet the two new senior black labs that I applied to adopt. They are a bonded pair of sisters, named Bluebell (who goes by Bella) and Daisy. They were owner surrendered several months ago and both have been on diets since they need some serious weight loss. Assuming that all the dogs get along they will come home with me at that time. Good thing I have a Suburban or I'd have to ask a friend to also drive up in her car but I know that I can fit all of them in my vehicle.

It's about a 4.5 hour drive each way, plus pit stops for all of us. The first senior black lab that I adopted I went up to Harrisburg, PA to get and that was a 6 hour drive. Of course I didn't need to take my gang with me and only had the one dog for the return trip. I may see if a friend can come with me, just for the company and a little help with the dogs when we hit the rest stop.

If you'd like to see some pictures of them here's the link to the rescue's webpage. They are the second pair down. How could I not fall in love with those beautiful faces.

Pairs

They are wonderful and so are you!!

Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Calling Brokensky! Just tried to DM you and got the following message:

"brokensky has exceeded their (sic) stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Now maybe that's on purpose, and if so I have no complaint, but if not I thought you might like to know.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Zugor, you are earning your wings. After all of those fosters I'm sure they will love their forever home.

It's a brisk 4F here on the Cub ranch. Brrrrrr

ETA Hey, Zug, just went on sale; down doggie vests!!!!!!!!

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Last edited by CCc girl; 03-19-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Zugor, you are earning your wings. After all of those fosters I'm sure they will love their forever home.

It's a brisk 4F here on the Cub ranch. Brrrrrr

ETA Hey, Zug, just went on sale; down doggie vests!!!!!!!!

Racer Dog Vest - For the Pet * Home - RalphLauren.com
When Labrador Retrievers start needing down vests you'll know were having a new ice age!

Monty dog: "Oh, look, snow - let's run up the hill, flop down and slide down on our backs, head first and then let's run up and do it again til we're shivering with the cold and wet."

Frannie dog: "'Yes, yes, yes. Whoopee!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement