U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 PM

2,912 posts, read 4,693,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Let's start a mayonnaise thread.
For some reason, this scene from An Officer and a Gentleman popped into my head after reading your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuTS_WNw5w

Old 03-20-2015, 05:10 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,120,017 times
Quote:
Sorry to rain on anyone's mayo parade, but Hellman's has genetically modified (GMO) ingredients and eggs from chickens not all that healthy. If you can find it, get organic non-GMO mayo (Trader Joe's has a good one).

Hellmann’s Attacks Upstart Non-GMO Company With Lawsuit Claiming Their Product Is ‘Not Real Mayo’
Hellman's didn't change..America did.
The same ingredients only there's not much choice now with regards to GMO which has permeated society. Soybeans alone are about 92% GMO which leaves only the niche players to use non GMO soybeans.

Crops are grown in open fields. Winds blow. It's all contaminated now with GMO if you ask me.

I've tried other brands and none compare to Hellmann's so I'm sticking with that.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,524,808 times
Quote:
Sorry to rain on anyone's mayo parade, but Hellman's has genetically modified (GMO) ingredients and eggs from chickens not all that healthy. If you can find it, get organic non-GMO mayo (Trader Joe's has a good one).

Hellmann’s Attacks Upstart Non-GMO Company With Lawsuit Claiming Their Product Is ‘Not Real Mayo’
Whoopty-doodle.
Two companies arguing over a name.
GMO? Doesn't bother me a bit.
And where in that article did it say "eggs from chickens not all that healthy"??
Your vegan politics are showing.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,120,017 times
The government has reversed itself on eggs. They are now healthy. And so is butter.
Glad I didn't listen to them cause I like eggs and butter and never gave them up.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:21 PM

3,430 posts, read 5,306,157 times
Brought my Suburban in to the shop on Monday morning because the light on the dash for the ABS came on. I didn't seem to have any problem with the brakes but it's not something to wait and see. The shop has always been a busy one but since the biggest shop in town burned down a couple of months ago my garage is extra busy, there is almost no parking left and they have room for 40 or 50 vehicles all around the 6 bay building. Late Wednesday afternoon they called to ask what I needed done because D doesn't bother to write work orders when they come in, thinking he can keep it all in his head.

It was just the idiot light, not the brakes but I did need a new headlight, new wiper blades and they also fixed a dome light button that was broken and it resulted in the light being on non-stop. I had to pull the fuse to shut it off.

I got the 'burb back this afternoon. As usual they brought it to the house since I'm just a mile away and then I drove the mechanic back and paid the bill, a whopping 88 bucks for parts and labor. I think that the hourly labor rate is still less than half what I'd been used to in the Bay Area ten years ago.

When I got home I noticed something next to the walkway to the side door, thought it was a torn and curled up bit of tan plastic grocery bag but on closer inspection realized it was a snake skin, about 2 ft. long and an inch around. YIKES!

Got a couple of neighborhood teens to help me get the 6' x 10' modular chain link dog run panel that I use as a gate across the back of the driveway back on its hinge pins. I think it must have been that bad old goat Zugor pushing against it, maybe got a horn stuck in the links and then lifted his head.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,411,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hellman's didn't change..America did.
The same ingredients only there's not much choice now with regards to GMO which has permeated society. Soybeans alone are about 92% GMO which leaves only the niche players to use non GMO soybeans.

Crops are grown in open fields. Winds blow. It's all contaminated now with GMO if you ask me.

I've tried other brands and none compare to Hellmann's so I'm sticking with that.
On my death certificate: cause of death: overdose of Hellman's. lol

Old 03-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The government has reversed itself on eggs. They are now healthy. And so is butter.
Glad I didn't listen to them cause I like eggs and butter and never gave them up.
Depends on what kind of eggs, organic/freerange or not. Same with butter.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Whoopty-doodle.
And where in that article did it say "eggs from chickens not all that healthy"??
I am not vegan. Check the source of the chicken feed if you want to know how "healthy" the eggs are, it's a no-brainer.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Not sure I would take any government recommendation...

Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 PM

9,864 posts, read 11,431,439 times
Quote:

Unilever, the great food giant and parent of Hellman's/Best Foods, sued the makers of Just Mayo because of fraudulent advertising whiich could harm both makers and consumers of legitimate mayonnaise. It contains no egg yolk which is required to label a product mayonnaise. If an outfit did this in France the principals would have landed in prison.

They would have had to call it a mayonnaise substitute; in fact, they call it nothing. There was apparently an agreement with Unilever. It's nothing more than a vegetable spread.

Apparently you don't believe that consumers are entitled to honest advertising. We prefer real mayonnaise. We love the businesses that serve us honestly.

Hampton Creek | Just Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Whoopty-doodle.
A year ago she swore in a DM that she was a vegetarian who ate fish. A few weeks ago, however, she slipped up and posted her plans to make chicken soup. When confronted, she stated that she was a vegetarian who ate chicken.

The correct adjective to describe her is not vegetarian; it is sanctimonious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement