U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,351,370 times

Advertisements

Mayo is easy to make in a blender. You can choose your own oil and use organic eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,133,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am not vegan. Check the source of the chicken feed if you want to know how "healthy" the eggs are, it's a no-brainer.
My chickens get Purina Layena as well as Purina scratch.
They also get table scraps (not meat though).
And I give them watermelon in the summer and hot oats in the winter

And when they are past their prime they get to live out a full retirement.

Truly fresh eggs have a hard shell and a deep almost orange yolk.
They are nearly impossible to peel as hard boiled eggs.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:59 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,353,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Check the source of the chicken feed if you want to know how "healthy" the eggs are, it's a no-brainer.
Ah yes.
As someone who ran an egg processing plant with multi-million dollar sales per year, surrounded by over 750K chickens for over 20 years ... and a member of the California Egg Commision ... and a member of the American Egg Board and a member of the United Egg Producers ... I think I know.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,763,332 times
If it's any help, Hellmann's/Best Foods is/are made with eggs from free-range chickens.

And, yes. Truly fresh eggs are almost impossible to peel when hard-boiled. But they sure make great fried eggs with those stand-up, orange yolks. My wife loves them. Me? I'm not overly fond of eating premature chickens.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ah yes.
As someone who ran an egg processing plant with multi-million dollar sales per year, surrounded by over 750K chickens for over 20 years ... and a member of the California Egg Commision ... and a member of the American Egg Board and a member of the United Egg Producers ... I think I know.
Were they eggs from organic feed, free-range? Just curious.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My chickens get Purina Layena as well as Purina scratch.
They also get table scraps (not meat though).
And I give them watermelon in the summer and hot oats in the winter

And when they are past their prime they get to live out a full retirement..
With a pension? Pulling our leg about the hot oatmeal?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Mayo is easy to make in a blender. You can choose your own oil and use organic eggs.
I've tried that and could never get the consistency right. A friend makes it with a wire whisk and it comes out great.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
A year ago she swore in a DM that she was a vegetarian who ate fish. A few weeks ago, however, she slipped up and posted her plans to make chicken soup. When confronted, she stated that she was a vegetarian who ate chicken.

The correct adjective to describe her is not vegetarian; it is sanctimonious.
Vegans eat a plant based/grain diet. I posted on 6-15-14 that I'm mostly vegan but eat some fish. You missed the mostly. Occasionally I make beef and chicken broths. I make a great chicken soup put up in jars for my family, who are not vegan or vegetarian. I have never said others should or need to eat the way I do, so your adjective is a bit out of line. Flattered that you follow my posts!

Old 03-21-2015, 05:29 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
Zugor, glad to hear the 'Burby is not serious. My Sierra eats a left front hub about every five years.

We did lose the brakes on both rigs (mine is a 2005, his a 2004) to New York weather, the brake lines had to be replaced. ALL of them. Runs about a thousand dollars per rig. But they will go another ten years. His will retire to hay and farm duties, and I will trade out of mine into a Yukon when we move.

HappyTexan, I'm with you on butter and eggs, Amen to that. Looking forward to raising our own or buying local when we move. I buy from our neighbor when his are producing but with a family of five they don't have much surplus.

Happy first full day of Spring, y'all!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 AM

5,427 posts, read 6,642,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If it's any help, Hellmann's/Best Foods is/are made with eggs from free-range chickens.

ahh yes, every good southern girl knows Hellmann's is the best unless you make your own from fresh. Never got into Miracle Whip or Duke's but they have their fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement