U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Reputation: 29100

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anyone who wants to hang out only with folks with the same point of view choose clubs, not forums.
Then clearly C-D is a "club" for the non-conflict adverse. I wonder where club soda rates.

 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:05 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530
Then debate club must be an oxymoron??? (kidding)
 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Reputation: 15595
To me "club soda" is Seltzer when it's either bottled or canned by some company like Canada Dry or Schweppes.

Real seltzer is freshly carbonated water and comes from a glass seltzer bottle with a metal nozzle that sprays it into your drinking glass or container. Any one remember ice cream sodas at the drug store counter, sweet shop, or luncheonette???

"Club soda" is what you ask for in a bar when you order a Scotch & Soda, or as a chaser.

It's a Northeastern 'Yankee' thing.

For those of you who are real old timers, it was called "two cents plain" or "fer two cents plain."
 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Reputation: 29100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
To me "club soda" is Seltzer when it's either bottled or canned by some company like Canada Dry or Schweppes.

Real seltzer is freshly carbonated water and comes from a glass seltzer bottle with a metal nozzle that sprays it into your drinking glass or container. Any one remember ice cream sodas at the drug store counter, sweet shop, or luncheonette???

"Club soda" is what you ask for in a bar when you order a Scotch & Soda, or as a chaser.

It's a Northeastern 'Yankee' thing.

For those of you who are real old timers, it was called "two cents plain" or "fer two cents plain."
Ain't THAT old but with New York parents I knew what a scotch and soda was. Enjoy them myself unless indulging in single malts.
 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Reputation: 29100
WHEW! Finally moved off page 666 in this forum.
 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Then debate club must be an oxymoron??? (kidding)
They are dedicated to the same thing, the rules of the game. Just like Cricket.
 
Old 03-22-2015, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Then clearly C-D is a "club" for the non-conflict adverse.
Whenever you have a forum you have debate and conflict, goes with the territory. What we are missing are great orators, lol.
 
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530
If you read the ingredients in seltzer and club soda they actually are different. I forget which one won out for me.

Clark, I wish I had been on CDF when I sold the clear seltzer bottle from Philly. It had a 1920's date on it. The engraving was beautiful. Nobody wanted it. I listed it several times before dropping the price to 9.99 just to be rid of it. They were highly valued before the crash.

Seltzer in the refillable bottles actually has an amazing history if you dig nostalgia. I learned a tad about it when I was researching a Vaseline green glass seltzer bottle from the turn of the century. Someone authored a book about his father or uncle the seltzer man, I'm sure there are more books on the subject.

Like the milkman who came to the door, a gem from the past.

Hey Curm, superstitious? Me too.

A little LOL for you, when I had the business the last four digits in our 800 number I chose was 2MOM which numbered out to 2666. Some folks did the big gulp when they saw that.

I'm sure there are plenty of skinheads out there with that 666 tat, so the beast to come had better choose something else. Hello Kitty maybe
 
Old 03-22-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Reputation: 29100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
If you read the ingredients in seltzer and club soda they actually are different. I forget which one won out for me.

Clark, I wish I had been on CDF when I sold the clear seltzer bottle from Philly. It had a 1920's date on it. The engraving was beautiful. Nobody wanted it. I listed it several times before dropping the price to 9.99 just to be rid of it. They were highly valued before the crash.

Seltzer in the refillable bottles actually has an amazing history if you dig nostalgia. I learned a tad about it when I was researching a Vaseline green glass seltzer bottle from the turn of the century. Someone authored a book about his father or uncle the seltzer man, I'm sure there are more books on the subject.

Like the milkman who came to the door, a gem from the past.

Hey Curm, superstitious? Me too.

A little LOL for you, when I had the business the last four digits in our 800 number I chose was 2MOM which numbered out to 2666. Some folks did the big gulp when they saw that.

I'm sure there are plenty of skinheads out there with that 666 tat, so the beast to come had better choose something else. Hello Kitty maybe
All that and the fact that soda water is high in sodium while seltzer water is not. Very old, former bartender here. Was still getting milk delivered by Carnation up until 1974 when we were transferred back east. A great loss few of our children remember.

I'm so glad I was born in the 40s, Fuller Brush Man and Good Humor Man et al, not to leave out Little Oscar.

Yep! Superstitious about that number. I am a Mackerel Snapper after all.
 
Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530
' I am a Mackerel Snapper after all.'

???translation please. You are delicious? I knew that

and define very old, bartender. You poured the wine at the last supper?

I kill myself I'm so funny.......it's not my fault, I was a 90 year old cynical hag at the age of 19 when I met Mickaleen Oge Flynn, the DH. He's funnier than heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top