U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
' I am a Mackerel Snapper after all.'

???translation please. You are delicious? I knew that

and define very old, bartender. You poured the wine at the last supper?

I kill myself I'm so funny.......it's not my fault, I was a 90 year old cynical hag at the age of 19 when I met Mickaleen Oge Flynn, the DH. He's funnier than heck.
It means the person is a Roman Catholic. They acquired that sobriquet because they did not eat meat on Friday.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:32 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
' I am a Mackerel Snapper after all.'

???translation please. You are delicious? I knew that

and define very old, bartender. You poured the wine at the last supper?

I kill myself I'm so funny.......it's not my fault, I was a 90 year old cynical hag at the age of 19 when I met Mickaleen Oge Flynn, the DH. He's funnier than heck.
HIW beat me to it but, yes. Mackerel Snappers are Catholics so-called because of the pre-Vatican II requirement to eat fish or just veggies on Fridays. As for the last supper, someone else beat me to it. One of my sandals broke and slowed me down. Those were the days of simple cocktails and mixed drinks compared to today's ever changing designer libations.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Oh, such memories - milk in glass bottles, with a bit of cream at the top of each one, plus he delivered butter and eggs and cheese too. The Entenman's truck with fresh pastries, the knife grinder who came around every month or so and the ice cream man on summer afternoons.

My folks had a record player for those old 78's and it not only played them you could cut your own records on it - the blank discs were red vinyl and both my parents were decent pianists/singers. Dad was the church organist and choirmaster (that's how they met) and I loved listening to those old recordings of them singing together. I have no idea what happened to that machine and those old records. I can only hope that it didn't simply end up at the dump, that someone has it and enjoys it.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It means the person is a Roman Catholic. They acquired that sobriquet because they did not eat meat on Friday.
I have never heard of that. Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
HIW beat me to it but, yes. Mackerel Snappers are Catholics so-called because of the pre-Vatican II requirement to eat fish or just veggies on Fridays. As for the last supper, someone else beat me to it. One of my sandals broke and slowed me down. Those were the days of simple cocktails and mixed drinks compared to today's ever changing designer libations.
Hahaha I still say yer not that old, I'll lie and you can swear to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Oh, such memories - milk in glass bottles, with a bit of cream at the top of each one, plus he delivered butter and eggs and cheese too. The Entenman's truck with fresh pastries, the knife grinder who came around every month or so and the ice cream man on summer afternoons.

My folks had a record player for those old 78's and it not only played them you could cut your own records on it - the blank discs were red vinyl and both my parents were decent pianists/singers. Dad was the church organist and choirmaster (that's how they met) and I loved listening to those old recordings of them singing together. I have no idea what happened to that machine and those old records. I can only hope that it didn't simply end up at the dump, that someone has it and enjoys it.
^^^THAT is a way cool story about your folks and the records!

8F this morning; blech!

PhxBarb, check in!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
I don't want to start a new thread on this, just a quick chat among seniors...

In parts of my region, this year electric cost has jumped up 29%! Thankfully the sudden hike did not affect us b/c we have a private town electric provider. It has freaked out many people needless to say.

We've been to several home shows recently and got a fair amt of info on solar energy provided by companies that pay for and install the equipment in your home, and you pay them (by contract) for your energy usage. Apparently you pay nothing for the equipment. They say your energy savings is average 30%. Several friends are on the bandwagon with getting free home consultations. We've hesitated, seeking more firsthand info. Has anyone here had this kind of contract?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
I considered it last fall but decided against it and am glad I did not go for it since it would have used up so much of my savings. Here is what I wrote about it over in the Green Living forum on a thread about going with solar. I would have only saved about $600.00 a year out of a total cost of around $2,000 so it would have taken a long time just to pay back the initial investment.

There is a current effort for Floyd County residents to go solar:

http://www.vasun.org/wp-content/uplo...et_final-2.pdf

A 5 kW system costs $17,500 installed. There there is a 30% federal tax credit which is $5,250.

I met with the guy today and I have just about the perfect situation. The 48' garage faces due south and there is no blockage/shading from trees or other buildings. I have an all electric house with a heat pump and whole house A/C (although I don't use the A/C very much, many days not at all, others for a few hours to cool the house just a bit withe the t-stat set at 75F). My location has 187 nights a year on average when the temp drops below 40 degrees, at which point the aux. system kicks in and that consumes lots of juice even though in winter I set the t-stat at 62F during the day and 55 at night.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:24 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Happy Monday CCc and everyone else too. I made it and now have to sit on my rear for the next few weeks and let it heal. The first meds were not strong enough and we had to go get an upgrade. Still trying not to take it unless absolutely needed. Promotes very bad interior slowdown of the plumbing system.

Thanks for the "stories". Am spending time watching season 3 of House of Cards. Is this really the way they do stuff in Washington? What a bunch of idiots. JMHO

Old 03-23-2015, 03:35 PM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
WHEW! Finally moved off page 666 in this forum.
I'm only on page 167. You need to change your settings to allow you to see more posts per page (40 posts max) so that you don't have to continually click through pages.

Quote:
I have never heard of that. Weird!
I've been married to a Roman Catholic for 36 years (actually we just celebrated the 40th anniversary of our first date earlier this month) and I had never heard of that term either until I encountered it here on C/D a little while back.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I remember hearing it back in early grade school.
And after my parents heard me say it, I remember being taken by the ear and being told, "That is not acceptable language for your friend's religion."

Old 03-23-2015, 05:21 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I remember hearing it back in early grade school.
And after my parents heard me say it, I remember being taken by the ear and being told, "That is not acceptable language for your friend's religion."
I've only heard it a few times and usually in the first person as in, "I'm a mackerel snapper.''

I remember a family gathering and a conversation about names for members of one particular race. Our group spanned several generstions and we must have thought of thirty different names. We were finally all laughing so hard that we could barely speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement