U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Your points are not without merit. I've thought about what you said for years. I do believe that if we make it a point to eat the flesh only of animals who were raised humanely it's perfectly OK to use byproducts. The same would apply to mink if people ate them.

I do my best to eat very little meat but I feed meat to my cat and dogs every day. I'm not trying to sooth myself or exhibit piety. I'm simply trying to cut as best I can the needless killing of animals. Sometime when you were planning on steak or chicken have a vegan meal instead; some recipes provide surprisingly pleasant results. Think how you feel about it afterwards. If you can't bear the thought of vegan even with extra oil have a dish using cheese or eggs.

My marinara sauce is vegan; it's the best marinara sauce I've ever had.
Yes, I have thought about it, too . . . and I do eat vegan several times a week (had a lovely meatless curry and some huumus this past weekend) but not for any enlightened philosophical reason . . . I do it b/c it is my way of limiting my meat intake b/c the average diet simply has too much meat in it. In the summer, I actually prefer veggies only b/c it seems my system digests that better than meat in warmer weather.

Now, if I believed all animals are sentient and have a soul, I would probably feel differently about killing ANY animal for ANY reason. But some are simply destructive and I don't mind whacking a squirrel or rat or mouse or possum if they are intruding on my space and being destructive. I have learned to live semi-happily with the suburban deer that feed on my property 2 x a day but I often think about what nice venison that one buck would make . . . . . . if only I didn't live inside the city limits, lololol.

Just being honest here . . .

I have raised my own cattle and hogs and sent them to slaughter. It was so upsetting, I gave up farming. If I were to farm again, I would own only dairy cows and goats (for milk and cheese).

Yet, I love my filet mignon and bacon.

Go figure.

As T. S. Eliot said: "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, (I contain multitudes). <with apologies to Eliot if I misquoted>

I don't have a problem eating meat; I just don't want to feel I have a personal relationship with the animal that happens to be on my plate on any given night.

I do not approve of testing cosmetics on animals as they might endure lingering pain and suffering.

We euthanize millions of dogs and cats annually. It sickens me to the core. It seems to me all the fur discussion is misplaced . . . if we were truly concerned about animals dying, then it seems we should be focusing on domesticated animals who have no purpose in life but being our companions and loving us! Now, that is a crime and immoral . . . allowing animals to procreate indiscriminately when their guaranteed fate is being nuked at the local animal shelter.

But killing animals to eat? Or to keep us warm? Or for our shoes?

It is what mankind has done for hundreds of thousands of years and I do not consider it uncivilized behavior. Wearing fur should not stir misplaced moral outrage. Save that for the dogs and cats who we invited into our huts and caves a millenia ago, sealing their dependency for eons to come.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, I have thought about it, too . . . and I do eat vegan several times a week (had a lovely meatless curry and some huumus this past weekend) but not for any enlightened philosophical reason . . . I do it b/c it is my way of limiting my meat intake b/c the average diet simply has too much meat in it. In the summer, I actually prefer veggies only b/c it seems my system digests that better than meat in warmer weather.

Now, if I believed all animals are sentient and have a soul, I would probably feel differently about killing ANY animal for ANY reason. But some are simply destructive and I don't mind whacking a squirrel or rat or mouse or possum if they are intruding on my space and being destructive. I have learned to live semi-happily with the suburban deer that feed on my property 2 x a day but I often think about what nice venison that one buck would make . . . . . . if only I didn't live inside the city limits, lololol.

Just being honest here . . .

I have raised my own cattle and hogs and sent them to slaughter. It was so upsetting, I gave up farming. If I were to farm again, I would own only dairy cows and goats (for milk and cheese).

Yet, I love my filet mignon and bacon.

Go figure.

As T. S. Eliot said: "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, (I contain multitudes). <with apologies to Eliot if I misquoted>

I don't have a problem eating meat; I just don't want to feel I have a personal relationship with the animal that happens to be on my plate on any given night.

I do not approve of testing cosmetics on animals as they might endure lingering pain and suffering.

We euthanize millions of dogs and cats annually. It sickens me to the core. It seems to me all the fur discussion is misplaced . . . if we were truly concerned about animals dying, then it seems we should be focusing on domesticated animals who have no purpose in life but being our companions and loving us! Now, that is a crime and immoral . . . allowing animals to procreate indiscriminately when their guaranteed fate is being nuked at the local animal shelter.

But killing animals to eat? Or to keep us warm? Or for our shoes?

It is what mankind has done for hundreds of thousands of years and I do not consider it uncivilized behavior. Wearing fur should not stir misplaced moral outrage. Save that for the dogs and cats who we invited into our huts and caves a millenia ago, sealing their dependency for eons to come.
All animals except sessile sea creatures are sentient. There's plenty of evidence for that. I believe that all creatures have souls and that they will be with the good people in Heaven. Obviously, I can't prove it but unless we're dealing with an evil god I can't understand why it wouldn't be true.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Woke up this morning, cold and snow. I wandered to the kitchen and got my coffee, then looked outside the front door. Made a fire in the fireplace and biscuits and gravy for breakfast, took my time eating and reading the paper. It's so nice to be retired and not fight traffic on days like this. It's nice to be retired any day!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Woke up this morning, cold and snow. I wandered to the kitchen and got my coffee, then looked outside the front door. Made a fire in the fireplace and biscuits and gravy for breakfast, took my time eating and reading the paper. It's so nice to be retired and not fight traffic on days like this. It's nice to be retired any day!
Nice post. Today I went with my sister to see the movie Quartet (so-so), had lunch first in a nice restaurant, coffee after, and home to a nice toasty wood stove. I thought it was Sat. or Sun., but got reminded that it's a weekday. Feels like a strange but good dream.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Nice post. Today I went with my sister to see the movie Quartet (so-so), had lunch first in a nice restaurant, coffee after, and home to a nice toasty wood stove. I thought it was Sat. or Sun., but got reminded that it's a weekday. Feels like a strange but good dream.
Sounds lkie a nice day

Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Speaking of the new rash of movies for "seniors," my MD sis just told me about this one:

Robot and Frank Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon Movie HD - YouTube

I wonder about how hot robots will be in assisting seniors. Sure beats the cost of human nursing care.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Robots and seniors--sounds like a great idea for a movie. Looking forward to seeing that one.

I just saw Hope Springs and to my surprise I liked it quite a bit. Enough to think it deserves to be on an award list. I was expecting the typical Hollywood sappy look at seniors going to therapy, but it was surprisingly realistic. And it was nice to see Steve Carrell in a serious role. I was impressed by his facial reactions as the therapist who is listening and trying to guide without judging (or laughing).

Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Speaking of the new rash of movies for "seniors," my MD sis just told me about this one:

Robot and Frank Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon Movie HD - YouTube

I wonder about how hot robots will be in assisting seniors. Sure beats the cost of human nursing care.
That movie is on my Netflix queue thingy, should get it next week. Looks like a nice movie. I'm sure in the far future there will be common place robots. Let's just hope they're not like SkyNet.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Here's an eye opening report:

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM
mlb

3,320 posts, read 2,937,058 times
Not surprised at all by this.

I read the TIME article - worth reading. "Non-profit" hospital that manage to pay their executives in the millions.

Spare me.

It's all corporate health now - except for public hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement