U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,240,764 times

Advertisements

Hi all: Thanks for the good wishes. I am climbing the walls here, trying not to do anything that will disrupt the recovery. But yesterday, the small grass yard in the back of my house was soooo long, I just had to take the weed wacker/trimmer out there and cut it down. I felt so good yesterday that I thought the recovery was all over ! 10 days post op. Dreamer. Today I am paying the price. Back on the couch. Back on the pain pills. Back being BORED to DEATH. Lord have mercy. Cannot imagine being couped up in the house like this forever. There just is nothing one can do except have patience. I win the award for stupidity of the year. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 02:55 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
Hey, you had to find out, right?

Barb, can we send you anything? Here's a hug!

Try some ice if you don't like the pain meds.

Can you send out for a massage? Pedicure? Heck, I would be living large. Hire me a few 'assistants'.

Out-call Massage services in Phoenix, Arizona By A Magic Touch Mobile Massage <--they do manis and pedis, too!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM

9,664 posts, read 11,118,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If it's 91 now, what will it be in July/Aug?
It will be a little hotter and a little more humid; there will be more heat strokes.

Quote:
Coyote opera?
That's what we call it; they practice diligently.

Sometimes they bark rather than howl. A few years ago I was awakened in the middle of the night to the sound of a coyote puppy barking coming in through my open bedroom window. A second or so later I heard the enraged barking of two dogs who had been sawing logs up to that moment. The coyote puppy was directly under the window of their sanctum sanctorum. I knew just why he or she was there.

The coyote family had undoubtedly had a good night of hunting and had headed home to sleep. However, the little one had undoubtedly wanted to play, After receiving a few snarls and chomps for his effort, he thought, ''I've smelled those coyotes in that funny looking den that has a human living with them. Maybe they'll play with me.''

Young coyotes can be very curious. More than one back country hiker has been joined by one on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG speaking of wildlife, at breakfast DH looked out the window and there was our fox, standing on the path. It's the first time I've seen 'Foxy' in broad daylight. He's beautiful. Big bushy tail, reddish colored. Of course DH started yelling and with the window cracked he took off up the road.

We had a pair a few years ago, which Dh diligently tried to shoot many times. They ran off and are probably still laughing.
Why would he want to hurt them or even chase them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi all: Thanks for the good wishes. I am climbing the walls here, trying not to do anything that will disrupt the recovery. But yesterday, the small grass yard in the back of my house was soooo long, I just had to take the weed wacker/trimmer out there and cut it down. I felt so good yesterday that I thought the recovery was all over ! 10 days post op. Dreamer. Today I am paying the price. Back on the couch. Back on the pain pills. Back being BORED to DEATH. Lord have mercy. Cannot imagine being couped up in the house like this forever. There just is nothing one can do except have patience. I win the award for stupidity of the year. LOL
Aren't you the one with the furnace filter on your roof? Perhaps you can change it in another week.

I'm allowed to joke about it because I've had both of my hips replaced.

What I hate about the pain pills is the constipation. The best treatment for diarrhea is Paregoric, opium dissolved in alcohol. Drug addicts used to soak a cigarette in it, then let the cigarette dry. They would then smoke it. Many states didn't require a prescription for a small amount, only a signature in Illinois. Can you imagine the constipation?

Now, for those who value their privacy, here's something scary. I clicked on a youtube video that I found in a search and received the following message; the warning was on a sinister black backgrounfd that I couldn't copy.

YouTube Privacy Warning

YouTube (owned by Google) does not let you watch videos anonymously. As such, watching YouTube videos here will be tracked by YouTube/Google.Remember my choice (this can be changed in Settings)

I use an anonymous search engine for two reasons. Privacy is, of course, one, but it's not the more important. An anonymous search engine does not tailor results based on stored information. Anyone who searches a given term receives the same results. It's a better and uncluttered search.

There's an easy test to prove it to yourself. First, search something, anything, on your regular search engine. Then, perform the same search on DuckDuckGo. You'll be amazed by the results of this experiment.

Google is not your friend.

https://duckduckgo.com/

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 03-28-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 03:42 PM

HiW, at the time we had barn cats and a family of raccoons. Dh has never killed an animal, nor could he unless it was endangering a life here on the ranch. If the SHTF we'll have to barter for meat, unless I grow some big stones rather quickly.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,141,323 times
Thank you HiW! I just tried duckduckgo. Amazing! I had no idea . . . it's going to be my "go-to" from now on.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 AM

8,314 posts, read 12,068,488 times
Quote:
If it's 91 now, what will it be in July/Aug?
On average? About 90. In fact, I don't believe that there is any one day where the average high is above 91.

Not what you were expecting, right?

People are surprised to learn that Miami doesn't get exceedingly hot like many areas of the country in the dog days of summer. I'm not even sure if it has ever officially hit 100 here.

What happens is that the humidity increases during the summer months; the temps, not so much.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
On average? About 90. In fact, I don't believe that there is any one day where the average high is above 91.

Not what you were expecting, right?

People are surprised to learn that Miami doesn't get exceedingly hot like many areas of the country in the dog days of summer. I'm not even sure if it has ever officially hit 100 here.

What happens is that the humidity increases during the summer months; the temps, not so much.
Doesn't seem a whole lot different than the hot/humid summer in the North.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 AM

8,314 posts, read 12,068,488 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem a whole lot different than the hot/humid summer in the North.
Exactly!

I spent 25 years in the D.C. metro area and I can state unequivocally that summer (especially August) in D.C. is worse than Miami. It routinely hits 100+ in D.C. in July & August with humidity that is just as high as Florida. And relief in the form of jumping into the ocean is 3+ hours away, usually in bumper-to-bumper weekend traffic, as opposed to a short drive (or in my case, merely walking out the back gate of our building).

Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Exactly!

I spent 25 years in the D.C. metro area and I can state unequivocally that summer (especially August) in D.C. is worse than Miami. It routinely hits 100+ in D.C. in July & August with humidity that is just as high as Florida. And relief in the form of jumping into the ocean is 3+ hours away, usually in bumper-to-bumper weekend traffic, as opposed to a short drive (or in my case, merely walking out the back gate of our building).
In my 20s I actually fainted in some park in DC one horrible summer. We were there for the aeorospace museum with kids. I vowed never to go there again in July.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 AM

I can attest to those summers. Two years ago we had weeks on end that were hotter and more humid here than mom was in Miami. And the bugs! Much worse here.

On that cheery note, it's a balmy 10F this morning. Dad was reporting 50 yesterday in Hilton Head. Mom reported 70's, good soup weather, she made calbasa squash bisque.

I'm leaning towards a no rice paella, I have shrimp, mussels and chicken.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement