U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yes, but "Church ain't out 'til the fat lady sings"!
I thought it was the "Opera isn't over until the fat lady sings!"

Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Officer Clark, do you use canola oil? Heard somewhere it leads to easily bruising.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
"Saving Mr. Banks"

Good movie.
Thought I wasn't going to like it - Mrs. Travers is such an old biddy when the movie starts out.
But I was smiling at the end

Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, Bradley Whitford, Colin Farrell ... and Paul Giamatti's character is just great.
I enjoyed the movie as well, although as you may be aware, it wasn't really a completely factual account of what transpired. BTW, Paul Giamatti's character didn't exist in real life; it was included so that Emma Thompson could have someone in the movie to be nice/warm to.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Introducing a new topic ...

One thing I find very annoying about growing older is that fact (for me at least) things like cuts and bruises don't heal as fast as they used to.

Example: About three to three and a half months ago I accidentally brushed up beside the pedal of a bicycle. I scraped my leg just a few inches below the knee. No big deal ... it was sometime later I realized the skin was actually broken and there was a tiny bit of bleeding. The bleeding was insignificant and just one regular band-aid was sufficient. Coincidentally just two weeks later I banged the same leg into a slightly opened draw on my bedroom dresser in a different spot a few inches away from the two other bruises.

Now here it is more than three months later and the skin is still dark where the 'black and blue' bruises were.

Can anyone relate to my annoyance?

Is there a technique to make bruises disappear more quickly?
I certainly can relate. I like to garden and those bougs have big thorns which just touch my arms and I am "bleeding out." It looks like hemophilia but I know it's just old age. People ask what happened and I just say "my husband beats me." Ha ! Same with this hip. First time around, easy peasy. This time I am waiting for some relief. Only 18 months older but my goodness, what time does when you are older.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Barb, are you still recliner bound?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
I have a random question and don't know where else on CD to ask it.

My neighbor wants to take down a tree that sits exactly on our property line. He has determined that it's his, legally. We'd be happy to have it down as it casts shadows over our garden. He's asked us if we'd help pay for taking it down (a few hundred $) and if we did so we could have the cut-up trunk for cordwood.

Any idea of the legal ramification of my doing this? I worry about the possibility of a tree worker (my neighbor's buddy) getting injured on the property line, or on my property. I could ask if the guy is licensed and bonded, but would never really know if he is. Does it sound like possible liability? Is something in writing that I draw up sufficient, or do I have to pay a lawyer to write something up?

Feedback welcome.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:13 PM

16,598 posts, read 10,549,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

My neighbor wants to take down a tree that sits exactly on our property line. He has determined that it's his, legally. We'd be happy to have it down as it casts shadows over our garden. He's asked us if we'd help pay for taking it down (a few hundred $) and if we did so we could have the cut-up trunk for cordwood.

Any idea of the legal ramification of my doing this? I worry about the possibility of a tree worker (my neighbor's buddy) getting injured on the property line, or on my property. I could ask if the guy is licensed and bonded, but would never really know if he is. Does it sound like possible liability? Is something in writing that I draw up sufficient, or do I have to pay a lawyer to write something up?

Feedback welcome.
I'd call your insurance rep. Ask if he's covered.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:31 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Feedback welcome.
Decline your neighbor's kind and generous offer. His pal could still sue you, but his position would be far weaker. The firewood isn't worth the legal risk.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:33 PM

IMO sounds like the 'buddy' will be doing it for cash under the table, too risky.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
I'd tell your neighbor that you're concerned about liability, especially since it's his buddy instead of a licensed worker. If your neighbor can convince you that you're under no risk if you help pay for it then go ahead and help. He sounds like a good neighbor, and those are worth cultivating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement