U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 04:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times

Advertisements

Oh, of all coincidences...! I just looked out my front window and see that the landscaping truck is parked in front of his house right now. I can read the name of the landscaper on the truck door and quickly looked them up online, seems like a reputable company. DH leans toward doing this, I lean away. Would my drawing up a "contract" be considered legal if he signs it? Would it be reasonable to ask to see the contractor's license and insurance? I'm still on the fence.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:43 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
NO. I don't even own a recliner.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:15 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
negirl, call your insurance agent tomorrow, IMO.

Barb, so you're not confined to rest now?

OT

Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh, of all coincidences...! I just looked out my front window and see that the landscaping truck is parked in front of his house right now. I can read the name of the landscaper on the truck door and quickly looked them up online, seems like a reputable company. DH leans toward doing this, I lean away. Would my drawing up a "contract" be considered legal if he signs it? Would it be reasonable to ask to see the contractor's license and insurance? I'm still on the fence.
I don't know about the legalities. When I had my house we had a lot of huge trees taken down. We always used a reputable company. They really knew what they were doing and no one was ever hurt. They took what was left of the trees, sawed them into pieces and put them into a chipper and made mulch out of them and hauled it away.

One time another guy took down a couple of smaller trees--he was licensed and bonded too--and he let us keep the wood for our fireplace.

None of them seemed to have any problem, no one was injured. The only thing that worried me was the chance of the tree falling on the house! But they truly knew what they were doing and that never happened.

I guess I wouldn't get involved, firewood or no firewood. If your neighbors really wanted to be nice, they would give you the firewood for putting up with all the noise and commotion. (But what do I know?)

Old 04-08-2015, 02:04 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Call out to AZDesertBrat!

You haven't posted for awhile ... how's the new home coming along???
Hi! I haven't posted for a while because I haven't had a phone or the internet since Mar. 23rd! Got home from work that day and it was all turned off. Supposed to be turned on at the new place but wasn't. They said it was... Rescheduled for yesterday, stayed home all day, nobody showed up and they said they couldn't gain access! Nobody showed up! My brother tore them a new one and we still couldn't get it done till NEXT week! Am I mad?? Oh boy, you know it! I brought my CP tower over to my brother's today so I can get caught up on my banking and bills...some are late because of the phone company!...and see what's happening here real quick.

Other than that?? Things are good! It took two full days to get moved. I cannot believe how much 'stuff' I had in that little place! It's still a little surreal but me and the cats are adjusting. Those poor guys got a little traumatized I think but they are doing well. I got my hours back at work too so have been working more...thankfully!

I am finding out the flaws of the place but nothing that would be a deal breaker. I had thought about painting right away till I realized how high my ceilings are and I don't even own a ladder! I need a ladder just to change light bulbs! lol

I just wanted to pop in and see what's going on. Good to see everyone still around and doing well. I'll be back in a week...I hope! If the phone company messes up again I may be calling for donations for bail! lol

Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Scene: AZ DesertBrat in new place:

"Hum, lets see - how 'bout I move that piece over there and , no wait, that won't work, put it back where it started. Oh, I know, if I put this piece over here and then move that one....... "

She's having too much fun playing house.
I admit I've been doing a lot of that! lol With no phone or internet I have not had any excuses to put anything off so things have come together fairly quickly. Still have a few more things to get but that's coming. First I have to pay off ALL the expenses associated with this venture but I'm almost there! It's been fun but also frustrating because of the phone company. I didn't have TV for three days either and, boy, is that place quiet! I've watched a lot of TV lately...yawn.

Be back in a week, I hope, or I'll know the reasons why!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM

Good luck, AZ! Just remember that it often takes a full year (and then some!) to settle into a new place completely, physically and psychologically. Give yourself plenty of leeway and a happy hour every eve. It will all get done in due time!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Hi! I haven't posted for a while because I haven't had a phone or the internet since Mar. 23rd! l
Glad you found a way to check in - sounds like everything is s.n.a.f.u. for moving house!

Signed the checks and mailed the taxes today. Sigh.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 PM

I just finished watching Million Dollar Baby. Beautiful film. Clint Eastwood and Hillary Swank at their best. The end was controversial; I think it seemed right. If you haven't seen it check it out.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:16 PM

Earlier today we took the snow shovels off the front porch and put them, along with our windshield snow brushes and scrapers, into their spring hiding place in the garage.

Guess what we have here tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement