U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times

Advertisements

Demolition deck lumber, two huge truckloads, taken away today along with some crap in the basement by a nice local guy with license and insurance, for $375. A lot better than the $600$800 I was quoted, and much cheaper than a Dumpster. We gave each other the high five after that got done, we are DONE with demolition (and hauling away) on this house!!!

Now to rebuild the deck, do some more landscaping, replace gutters, finish the kitchen, stain the stairway, and we are DONE and then ready to contemplate what's next....stay here, or plan some kind of alternative.

Anyone else wondering what to do in the next one/two to five years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,240,764 times
Oh Neg: When someone is certifiable, it means they are in need of mental health treatment. Now do you get it????

Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Oh Neg: When someone is certifiable, it means they are in need of mental health treatment. Now do you get it????
I've been certifiable, then, since about age 20. It's only gotten worse with the passing decades. Soon I will no longer be responsible for anything. I've got my music tapes and paints ready for that day.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
negirl, much better price! Nice work on the lumber!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,133,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Demolition deck lumber, two huge truckloads, taken away today along with some crap in the basement by a nice local guy with license and insurance, for $375. A lot better than the $600$800 I was quoted, and much cheaper than a Dumpster. We gave each other the high five after that got done, we are DONE with demolition (and hauling away) on this house!!!

Now to rebuild the deck, do some more landscaping, replace gutters, finish the kitchen, stain the stairway, and we are DONE and then ready to contemplate what's next....stay here, or plan some kind of alternative.

Anyone else wondering what to do in the next one/two to five years?
I've started my wondering and planning and even visited 2 potential future locations.

Takes me a long time to make decisions

Took 3 years to find the place I'm in now.
Before that took me 2 years to find the land and another 2 to find a builder/plan I liked.

Now I'm off to do the same thing for the next move.
I'm thinking 2 lots (1/4 acre) and a new build inside the city limits this time.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
I have a package coming to FL and I made sure it would be shipped here before our mail is forwarded to NY. Even with the best laid plans and communications, it was shipped to NY. It will most likely be traversing up and down the Eastern seaboard for a few weeks now until it finds me.

After getting over my disappointment, I was talking to a friend and said it seems the more I try to make things go the way I want, they don't. There is probably a lesson in there. My friend asked me if maybe the Universe is telling me who is boss. I thought about it and replied "No, it's more like life is random and to think otherwise is vanity."

Planning our retirement is a good thing, but I need to heed the above conversation.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:35 AM

old Yiddish proverb: Man makes plans and God laughs.............

Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
CCc girl: I have always felt that if I kept running into "walls" with a plan, there was a message in that it wasn't meant to be. I also found the sooner I accepted that, the more peaceful I became and another door opens.

I like a saying I recently heard: When God shuts one door, He opens another. But it sure is hell in the hallway!

Hang in there. Things will work out.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM

Thanks you NYgal. I am the same way. If _________(insert deity of choice) meant it to be he will remove all obstacles preventing me from getting there. However, that does not mean to give up hope. It means keep your hopes high.

One of my mom's fav songs from kiddiehood.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-bD0ZG5_2w

Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
Default Hope

Never ever give up hope!! That's what keeps us going!!

I loved that song, too. Frank was pretty good. Loved watching the kids.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement