U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 03:43 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Your brother digs for bottles in outhouse holes???
Don't knock it. My mother and my eldest aunt did it as well. They made some great finds. It's quite genteel, I assure you.

It's a branch of treasure hunting.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:50 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
The outhouse holes are filled in after all these years and are like digging in a compost pile, most are 50 years or older. I think part of the fun is just finding the site where they used to be. He's made some good finds, I think the best was a bottle worth $13,000. It's good exercise if nothing else. He'd love to visit me in NY before I leave, mainly to dig I think.. I feel Ike I'm on an archaeological dig every time I dig a hole to plant something. I've found bottles, old tools, etc. if people didn't throw things in the outhouse hole, they buried them in the yard apparently.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
I once had a dear friend in Boynton Beach, Florida, who liked looking for treasures in thrift stores. His favorite one was on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach. It seems impossible that there would be a thrift shop on Worth Ave. .... as unlikely as a thrift shop on Rodeo Drive or Commonwealth Avenue ... but it was there and rich Palm Beach ladies ran the place to benefit some charity or hospital. Any my friend found a small painting that looked very antique to his educated eye and he bought it for $30 or $40. It turned out to be work by a 17th Century Dutchman, a not very highly esteemed or admired painter in the time of Rembrandt and Vermeer, but a known one nonetheless. Even as a work by an inferior portraitist, it was authenticated by a NYC auction house and fetched several thousand dollars.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
YES!!! This is why I love going to Estate Sales and Goodwill. I keep thinking I will find something that is worth millions and will never worry about money again. But alas, my knowledge of antiques and treasures is limited. I took a "treasure" to Pawn Stars in Vegas last year. Turns out it was made in China and I deposited it in the Good will box soon as I got home.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:01 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
WOW Barb you have been to Gold and Silver Pawn????? You rock. How's the hip BTW??

Yeppers, Worth Ave. here I come, glorious thrifts in Palm Beach!

Over the years we found lots of bottles here. Horseshoes, too.

In fact, I pulled down another half dozen boxes out the attic, which has been renamed Treasure Island, yesterday. Lo and behold, there was the box filled with the old bottles that used to adorn my kitchen windowsill. Off to the consign lady they go.

WTH a bottle worth 13K? Tell that boy to buy a Lotto ticket!

Overcast and 69F. Windows open, I have the big oven filled with chicken, a meatloaf and a huge pan of cornbread.

It will be close to 80F starting tomorrow and I don't want to be stuck with no vittles on hand.If anyone collects old ice cream 'dippers'-the old time word for scoops; I have a few that don't sell. Would like them to go to someone who loves them. Just throwing that out there.

Blessed Sunday, all

Ladies, have you made the switch to the summer white handbag, or are you digging in your heels for the traditional Memorial Day? (I have a new one and I'm chafing at the bit to get her on. I can get away with it with the uber warm weather coming in.)

Old 05-03-2015, 02:21 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
I've found a few good buys in thrift shops, but no real treasures. About 3 or 4 years ago I went to one of those big thrift stores in southern Jersey that benefits Vietnam Veterans and I found a light weight 100% cashmere v-neck sweater from Saks Fifth Avenue. It was in brand new condition, bit it had a tiny hole in the back bottom where one of those plastic security tag was ... otherwise it was perfect. Cost me $5 or $6. In the store it would have been $150.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:30 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
WOW Barb you have been to Gold and Silver Pawn????? You rock. How's the hip BTW??

Yeppers, Worth Ave. here I come, glorious thrifts in Palm Beach!

Over the years we found lots of bottles here. Horseshoes, too.

In fact, I pulled down another half dozen boxes out the attic, which has been renamed Treasure Island, yesterday. Lo and behold, there was the box filled with the old bottles that used to adorn my kitchen windowsill. Off to the consign lady they go.

WTH a bottle worth 13K? Tell that boy to buy a Lotto ticket!

Overcast and 69F. Windows open, I have the big oven filled with chicken, a meatloaf and a huge pan of cornbread.

It will be close to 80F starting tomorrow and I don't want to be stuck with no vittles on hand.If anyone collects old ice cream 'dippers'-the old time word for scoops; I have a few that don't sell. Would like them to go to someone who loves them. Just throwing that out there.

Blessed Sunday, all

Ladies, have you made the switch to the summer white handbag, or are you digging in your heels for the traditional Memorial Day? (I have a new one and I'm chafing at the bit to get her on. I can get away with it with the uber warm weather coming in.)

Wow..... when is dinner?? I'll be right over!!!

Also, for me it's white pants/shorts. Wanna wear them now!!!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
CC: Pawn Stars ( the tv show) is so overrated. Is it even on anymore? I thought there would be more to the place but it's actually just a dumpy store with stuff all over and a line around the block to get in. Didn't see any of the "stars".

The hip is the same. No progress. Seeing the doc tomorrow to try to get some answers. Like, why didn't this side go the same way the other one did???

Old 05-03-2015, 10:48 PM

39 posts, read 31,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
CC: Pawn Stars ( the tv show) is so overrated. Is it even on anymore? I thought there would be more to the place but it's actually just a dumpy store with stuff all over and a line around the block to get in. Didn't see any of the "stars".

The hip is the same. No progress. Seeing the doc tomorrow to try to get some answers. Like, why didn't this side go the same way the other one did???
Barb, I hate that you're still having problems. Hope it gets better soon.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:23 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Wow..... when is dinner?? I'll be right over!!!

Also, for me it's white pants/shorts. Wanna wear them now!!!
LOL, girl, come on over, I always have vittles on hand, cold beer for guests, and a nice chaise lounge for an overnighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

We heard that about the store, the actual retail counter is very small and they devote another section just for filming. They are still on the air.

That is not good news about your hip, it's been quite a few weeks now! Not happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement