U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336

Advertisements

One of the great things about City-Data in general and about our Retirement Forum in particular is that we can learn about ourselves through the feedback we receive from others. This morning I learned that I am a "clueless bastard", but that I cannot "help myself". Self-knowledge is wonderful; I appreciate the insight.

But if I cannot "help myself", then how am I ever to improve? Oh dear, life is so complicated!

 
Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,958 posts, read 1,028,803 times
Reputation: 7259
you could start by learning better jokes.

at least part of your post is directed at me so I will answer.

I said that you couldn't "help yourself" meaning that you are who you are. You see things from your perspective/life experiences the same way that the person who posted and the rest of us do. It's what you (we) see as fact. If we (people other than yourself) don't like what you say, we can consider the source and move on.

The person who posted was obviously not in a place to do that. You apparently still do not get it.

"Oh dear" indeed
 
Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Good idea about the jokes. How about this one: Did you hear about the woman who, when she went to the beauty parlor, had to use the emergency entrance?
 
Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
Default Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
One of the great things about City-Data in general and about our Retirement Forum in particular is that we can learn about ourselves through the feedback we receive from others. This morning I learned that I am a "clueless bastard", but that I cannot "help myself". Self-knowledge is wonderful; I appreciate the insight.

But if I cannot "help myself", then how am I ever to improve? Oh dear, life is so complicated!
Oh my goodness, someone called you that?? How unfortunate for THEM!!

I think you're OK...... one thing I have learned over the years is that you just can't please everybody. So don't even try. Be yourself. There are people out there who will laugh with you.

However, I have not read all of your posts. If your humor was directed at a particular person and it was something snarky toward the other person, then I would have to say shame on you.

Let's try to keep these posts friendly, OK?? There is enough "crap" going on in the world today.
 
Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 AM
 
8,319 posts, read 12,071,104 times
Reputation: 18503
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Let's try to keep these posts friendly, OK?? There is enough "crap" going on in the world today.
There's a lot of crap here, too, although I think I'm using a different definition of crap than you are. I'm thinking of taking a break from C-D because some of the posts (and posters) that I read are so ridiculous, so mindless, that I can feel my brain cells shriveling up and dying just by virtue of having read their crap. (I'm not necessarily referring to Retirement Forum posts & posters as I read quite a few fora here.)

At the rate that I'm losing brain cells, pretty soon I won't be able to function in everyday life. As I lose my reasoning ability, the only activity left to me will be mindlessly watching reality TV or perhaps being a C-D moderator.

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 05-04-2015 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: typo
 
Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
Default Reasoning ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There's a lot of crap here, too, although I think I'm using a different definition of crap than you are. I'm thinking of taking a break from C-D because some of the posts (and posters) that I read are so ridiculous, so mindless, that I can feel my brain cells shriveling up and dying just by virtue of having read their crap. (I'm not necessarily referring to Retirement Forum posts & posters as I read quite a few fora here.)

At the rate that I'm losing brain cells, pretty soon I won't be able to function in everyday life. As I lose my reasoning ability, the only activity left to me will be mindlessly watching reality TV or perhaps being a C-D moderator.
Me thinks you have already lost your reasoning ability. No sympathy here.

Old saying ----- Take what you need and leave the rest. Maybe this will help you.

So rude of you to judge other people's postings as ridiculous. Some tolerance would be nice.
 
Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530
Aw, c'mon folks, life is too short. Take the high road. Keep it light. Life is heavy sometimes. Count your blessings.

Escort, you crack me up. I don't know what post you are referring to but, personally from what I've seen, you're not really the pot stirrer some make you out to be. JMHO.

Okay, okay, off of my share the love soapbox. Peace.
 
Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Escort, you crack me up. I don't know what post you are referring to but, personally from what I've seen, you're not really the pot stirrer some make you out to be.
 
Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
.......................

I said that you couldn't "help yourself" meaning that you are who you are. You see things from your perspective/life experiences the same way that the person who posted and the rest of us do. It's what you (we) see as fact. If we (people other than yourself) don't like what you say, we can consider the source and move on. ......................
The explanation which you gave me above is thoughtful and well expressed. I was wrong to treat it flippantly. I do understand where you were coming from, and I appreciate that you took the time to clarify your meaning.
 
Old 05-04-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Default Let's discuss reasoning ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Me thinks you have already lost your reasoning ability. No sympathy here.

Old saying ----- Take what you need and leave the rest. Maybe this will help you.

So rude of you to judge other people's postings as ridiculous. Some tolerance would be nice.

Although you were responding not to me, but to someone else, I just want to point out that some people's postings are ridiculous. MadMan's statement to that effect does not mean that he has lost his reasoning ability, in fact I take it to mean just the opposite. You may not care for his acerbic style, but he is one of the most factual, astute and analytical posters in this Retirement Forum. He tends to keep us all honest, and I speak as one who has been on the receiving end of his sharp tongue a time or two.

The irony of your plea for tolerance seems to escape you. In turn, I would ask you for some tolerance of the disagreement engendered by ManMan's post. Your post crosses the line at least as much as his did, and there is a further, separate irony, namely that you are accusing a poster who has an unusual degree of reasoning ability of having lost it. I speak to this issue from the standpoint of being familiar with MadMan's posts for the slightly more than five years which I have been on City-Data.

Let's separate having a sharp, acerbic tongue with having reasoning ability, because the two are really rather independent of each other. To say that you are irritated with Madman would be one thing, and a thing which I would understand, but you are just trading insult for insult without regard for accuracy. Think about it from as objective and as rational a standpoint as possible, trying to put aside style in favor of content.

I'm not arguing that style is unimportant, because it can be of prime importance in convincing people of our point of view, but to me content trumps style almost all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top