Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Spring has clearly sprung in good old New England! Everything's out in bloom and greenery. Last eve I was struck by the need to go out for a walk, something I could not feel safe doing in suburbia or rural. I took one dog over to the college campus and had a lovely walk in the dark (lit by path lamps) around the pond. The stars were absolutely clear (Venus outstanding) and a huge orange full moon. The students were out roaming around, chumming with friends, in their shorts and sandals. Some intoxicating fragrance floating through the air, like pre-lilac or linden. Oh to be young again and thinking about your next date (um, chemistry final).
Awesome and uplifting!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Spring has clearly sprung in good old New England! Everything's out in bloom and greenery. Last eve I was struck by the need to go out for a walk, something I could not feel safe doing in suburbia or rural. I took one dog over to the college campus and had a lovely walk in the dark (lit by path lamps) around the pond. The stars were absolutely clear (Venus outstanding) and a huge orange full moon. The students were out roaming around, chumming with friends, in their shorts and sandals. Some intoxicating fragrance floating through the air, like pre-lilac or linden. Oh to be young again and thinking about your next date (um, chemistry final).
if you do find yourself in "suburbia or rural", this is how you do it: when you see headlights in rural areas at night, you step off the road and hunker down and close your eyes. Have the dog hunker, too. In suburbia, if you feel threatened, turn into the nearest drive/ walk as if you were going home. I prefer to also hunker in suburbia if their is sufficient landscaping.

I'm glad your weather has improved.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Good morning! It's good to hear there's been such a huge improvement in your weather. Should give you some good energy!

It's starting to heat up here. Phoenix has already hit their first 100 degree day and about 90 here, when that happens. Right now we are getting some much needed rain which makes the weed pulling a lot easier! lol I turned the AC on once. Came home from work late and it felt hot and 'sticky' so turned it on long enough to cool off before I went to bed. Otherwise haven't used any heat or cooling since I moved in.

It's green here too. I have a Mulberry tree that is just huge. It shades 2/3 of the front of my house. I still haven't planted any flowers. Been too busy...and short of cash!...to get it done.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Sounds wonderful, negirl. I am amazed, last week we were hoping for highs of 60F and it's already there now. I have the windows open! Yesterday it was barely 40F at this time.
I wish I could open some windows around here! The people who owned this house must have been really paranoid because every single window in the house has a 'lock' on it. I'm surprised they didn't put bars on the windows! They also had ADT alarm system, and it's still here. I've threatened to take a hammer to it if it goes off one.more.time at 2 AM. Even took the battery out and it still beeps. Need to call them and ask what they want done with it because I don't want/need it. I AM going to get those window locks removed. Oh yeah, my exterior doors are steel and it takes four keys to open two doors (storm screen and regular doors) on each side of the house. I'm having them all rekeyed so two keys will work on ALL the locks. The neighborhood really isn't THAT bad! lol

Old 05-05-2015, 12:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Not a lot of sleep last night, tired today. Starting to feel the fear about moving away from here but determined to stay on track and not let it dictate what I do.

Have some days that feel lonely..... then I think about moving where I don't know anyone ..... wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

Anyone out there go through these feelings?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Tons of people, check out the General Moving Issues threads.

NYgal, just think of the cost of living should be enough to cheer you!

I know how you feel, though. Looking at the old apple tree budding, the things we built here, happy times. 'Look to the future.' -Jase Robertson. I think of that when I'm feeling low.

AZDBrat, you might want to inform your homeowners' insurance you have ADT and see if it makes a difference in your rates before you trash the alarm system.

Or maybe the previous homeowners were making meth in the big building out back.....LOL

It is truly a glorious day. DH got a good nights sleep, and got dressed and out to the workshop!!!!!!! He was tinkering in the shop, pushing manure around with the backhoe. He even got into the 'hoe himself without a ladder. That hasn't happened in a YEAR.

Now we're really thinking the chiro isn't good for him. Seriously, he hasn't lifted his right leg that high in over a year.

It's been four weeks since he got pneumonia. He hasn't been out since then.

Hallelujah! Amen.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM

CCc girl: You wrote the nicest post, very cheery. Thanks! I feel like that most of the time.

In my research regarding COL, being a renter and not a home buyer, my COL in NC will be about the same as here in NY. When I first realized that a while ago, I had a little hiccup about it but after a while I calmed down and said to myself....... I like it there, it's pleasing to my eyes, there are new things to experience and see there. Just go. Money isn't everything. And I am doing pretty well at maintaining that mindset.

I had a dr. appt. this morning and told him how often I am so fatigued I want to sleep all day and also about some pain I had. So he sent me to a lab for some bloodwork. It will probably come back negative. I think it could be more of an emotional thing. My sister is in Hospice with lung cancer, our other sister died in 1999 from lung cancer, and I'm the "last one." My family situation is in terrible shape. Not much, if any, communication with my kids or my ill sister's daughter. I'm pretty well just sick of it. It has felt like running into a brick wall with them. I finally decided that it was time to stop doing that and make my own life and forget the rest. So that's pretty much what I am attempting to do here. But I'm plum out of energy.

So it sounds like I'm having a pity party and need to get over myself. Working on it.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:29 PM

Oops, CCc girl: It is wonderful news to hear about your husband. Sounds like it has been a long haul for you both. That alone can drag you down. But you are sounding good. I hope it continues.

I have had experience with chiropractors..... not all of them are alike. I have had super good and I've had really lousy. Good luck with all of that.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Not a lot of sleep last night, tired today. Starting to feel the fear about moving away from here but determined to stay on track and not let it dictate what I do.

Have some days that feel lonely..... then I think about moving where I don't know anyone ..... wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

Anyone out there go through these feelings?
My son, when he lived in NC, would call me and say "Mom, the Carolinas are calling!" Just keep thinking that good thought.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=78O6--THTF0

Old 05-05-2015, 07:30 PM

newenglandgirl:

That was nice.... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement