U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
706 posts, read 808,797 times
Reputation: 834

Advertisements

[quote=NYgal2NC;39519384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
NYgal2NC: Wishing you a wonderful journey to NC. We retired to Greenville, SC, about 16 months ago. We love it here. There is always something to do, and it is quite affordable. We moved here from OK. Our son and daughter-in-law live here so that was the draw. With that said, we realize they may not always be here, but, we plan to stay. There is a huge network of Senior Activities for little or no cost. If that is not your thing, there are many other activities in the Arts, Music, etc. Have you ever considered Greenville, SC?


When I started my search/research, Greenville, SC was suggested to me on this site. It sounds as though you have many fun things to do there. And I think SC could be more financially friendly.

After stewing over it for a day or two, I realized that I really liked the area I am going to and since I'm in my early 70s, I don't really relish the thought of doing another move after this one. I will probably make a road trip at some point to visit Greenville and other places. I've read some other posts about people's uncertainty as to where to go. I don't want that. I want to get there, get settled in, and get on with my life.

But I thank you for your suggestion and information and glad you have found it to be good for you.
I understand completely. You have a wonderful attitude. I have no doubt you are going to enjoy NC very much.

Marie

 
Old 05-07-2015, 06:58 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
jean_ji, owning a boat up here is crazy. It's like a sunroof, you can only use it four months out of the year! Especially a sailboat, sooo much work. You could bring it with you, but it's probably cheaper to sell in NY and replace in FL.

NYgal, stick to your guns. NY is no place to age in place IMO.

Blessings to us all, look to the future.
 
Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
[quote=NYgal2NC;39519384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
After stewing over it for a day or two, I realized that I really liked the area I am going to and since I'm in my early 70s, I don't really relish the thought of doing another move after this one. I will probably make a road trip at some point to visit Greenville and other places. I've read some other posts about people's uncertainty as to where to go. I don't want that. I want to get there, get settled in, and get on with my life.
Here's something neat I remember from research on NC, it took me a while to bring it back to memory.

Second Spring Arts - Home

There's also something about a NC center for senior creativity IIRC.
 
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Default Thank you

[quote=newenglandgirl;39521345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

Here's something neat I remember from research on NC, it took me a while to bring it back to memory.

Second Spring Arts - Home

There's also something about a NC center for senior creativity IIRC.

I am wishing I lived there now!!

I visited the site you gave me and I believe it will be a fun thing to do. Tho I am not an artist or a writer, I enjoy looking at other people's work. Might be fun to volunteer there too.

I will have to check out NC center for senior creativity IIRC.

Great information.
 
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
IIRC = if I remember correctly

NC seems big on the arts and senior creativity. You don't have to be an artist to get involved. They probably have lots of music events too.
 
Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Default Funny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
IIRC = if I remember correctly

NC seems big on the arts and senior creativity. You don't have to be an artist to get involved. They probably have lots of music events too.
Guess I better get with it on these abbreviations!

I love music. All kinds. No rap/hip-hop tho.
 
Old 05-07-2015, 02:04 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Guess I better get with it on these abbreviations!

I love music. All kinds. No rap/hip-hop tho.
I am an NC native . . . and will be glad to provide any info.

I haven't posted much lately - in the middle of downsizing and moving - but I do check this forum several times a week.

What part of NC will be your new home?
 
Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I am an NC native . . . and will be glad to provide any info.

I haven't posted much lately - in the middle of downsizing and moving - but I do check this forum several times a week.

What part of NC will be your new home?
That is so nice of you, thank you!

I am moving to Winston-Salem, NC at end of August/first of September 2015.

I'm leaving this Saturday 5/9 to visit and look at an apartment I am interested in. Ever hear of The Hunt Club on Echo Glen Drive? A video of them looks promising. I have an appt to check them out when I'm there.

Thanks again.
 
Old 05-07-2015, 03:40 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Looking for Fill-In Grandma

NC CONCEAL CARRY CERTIFICATE ++PLUS++ MAY 30th

LIVE A LIFE THAT CHANGES A COMMUNITY

A HELPFUL HAND!! Providing Certified Senior Living

$300 move in special for FEMALE
 
Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Shepherd's Center of Greater Winston-Salem

City of Winston-Salem | Seniors

Winston-Salem growth comes with wave of senior citizens | myfox8.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top