U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times

Advertisements

One for your Netflix list ...

Greenfingers
From 2000, with Clive Owen and Helen Mirren
"When Colin Briggs is placed in an experimental program to finish off his prison sentence, all he wants is peace and quiet. After his wise, elderly roommate Fergus introduces him to gardening ..."

Still trying to figure out why it's rated R. Occasional bad language?
I will watch Helen Mirren in anything, and had never heard of it.
British quiet comedy. I liked it
And now I see it's loosely based on a true story!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Default Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
One for your Netflix list ...

Greenfingers
From 2000, with Clive Owen and Helen Mirren
"When Colin Briggs is placed in an experimental program to finish off his prison sentence, all he wants is peace and quiet. After his wise, elderly roommate Fergus introduces him to gardening ..."

Still trying to figure out why it's rated R. Occasional bad language?
I will watch Helen Mirren in anything, and had never heard of it.
British quiet comedy. I liked it
And now I see it's loosely based on a true story!
I don't recall that movie at all. But if Helen is in it, yes, I'll have to get it. She is a fine actress. Did you see her in those two movies with Bruce Willis, John Malkovich (sp?) etc.? .... comedy/some violence..... she did well in that, too.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 PM

CCc girl: What great links!! Thank you. I am SO excited about moving. I know I will love it there.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:05 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
That is so nice of you, thank you!

I am moving to Winston-Salem, NC at end of August/first of September 2015.

I'm leaving this Saturday 5/9 to visit and look at an apartment I am interested in. Ever hear of The Hunt Club on Echo Glen Drive? A video of them looks promising. I have an appt to check them out when I'm there.

Thanks again.
Oh my! That is just hours away! How exciting!

That should be a decent area - and should be convenient for you. I believe that area is Oldtown.

I wouldn't venture north of the area you are looking in. Better to be where you are, or west of where you are looking, and down towards the University. Of course, a young demographic around the university . . . but better that than being in a high crime area. Definitely do NOT go east of 52.

Something that may take some getting used to is that nice areas can be very close to a bad area, and it is very spotty as to what may be a not-so-good place to be as opposed to being in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Here is a crime map and this will give you some insight on where you do not want to be.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

To be honest, I haven't spent much time in Winston recently. I have only been there to shop in the last few years - and to visit (briefly) Old Salem, which I love. I hope you will get to visit there at Christmas. It is a wonderful day trip.

I wouldn't worry a lot about furniture. There are so many ways to get wonderful used furniture in this part of NC. Just check out Craigslist and you will see what I mean. :-)

Good healthcare in the region! And you will find that the university offers many low cost or free events. Some nice parks, too!

I don't feel like I helped very much! But if you have specific questions, I will certainly try to pass on what I know or find you a resource.

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 06:31 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 PM

BTW - you will be in Forsyth County. Here is a good list of resources in that county for seniors:

Aging Services of Forsyth County

And here is the premier agency for seniors in the region:

Piedmont Triad Regional Council : Area Agency on Aging

You will likely be interested in the Parks and Recreation, too!

City of Winston-Salem | Recreation & Parks

Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 PM

Default so much to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
BTW - you will be in Forsyth County. Here is a good list of resources in that county for seniors:

Aging Services of Forsyth County

And here is the premier agency for seniors in the region:

Piedmont Triad Regional Council : Area Agency on Aging

You will likely be interested in the Parks and Recreation, too!

City of Winston-Salem | Recreation & Parks

You may not think you are helping, but believe me, you are. I have found a lot of people on this forum have been so nice and so helpful. Renews faith in people!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You may not think you are helping, but believe me, you are. I have found a lot of people on this forum have been so nice and so helpful. Renews faith in people!
I hope so . . . moving is an adventure and we want it to be a good adventure, not one fraught with unexpected situations. I just wish I had more to offer as far as places to look for rentals.

Have you posted on the NC board - http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...em-high-point/

There may be folks there who could give you real specifics on apartment complexes to visit.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Default Me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I hope so . . . moving is an adventure and we want it to be a good adventure, not one fraught with unexpected situations. I just wish I had more to offer as far as places to look for rentals.

Have you posted on the NC board - http://www.city-data.com/forum/greensboro-winston-salem-high-point/

There may be folks there who could give you real specifics on apartment complexes to visit.

Yes, have looked at NC, triad, general moving issues boards and have learned something from each of those boards. People are quite willing to help! Regarding apartments and areas of W-S they consider best, west of 52 and northwest have been recommended. So I am focusing on those areas. The Hunt Club falls into that category. If I am not mistaken, you do not live in W-S now. Perhaps your worries are based on an earlier impression? Or we might have different ways of looking at things?

I am limited by how much I can afford. I have seen in the apartment guide book many apartments (saw them online, too) that are quite lovely but not in my price range. I have to stick to what I can afford. I am a very cautious person. I have lived in the Syracuse area a long, long time and a lot of this area is not wonderful. Shootings, stabbings, you name it, it's in the paper every day. So I am familiar with it and have good street sense. I know what I am interested in and plan to focus on that. I am a bit of a homebody, too.

I like the mountains and plan to visit them often. And an occasional trip to the beach will be fun.

22 years ago I moved to Tyler, TX in the middle of a horrible blizzard. My son came up to "help" me move. It was a huge mistake. Should have done it by myself.

I may be up in age but my lifetime of experience has prepared me. Please do not worry.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, have looked at NC, triad, general moving issues boards and have learned something from each of those boards. People are quite willing to help! Regarding apartments and areas of W-S they consider best, west of 52 and northwest have been recommended. So I am focusing on those areas. The Hunt Club falls into that category. If I am not mistaken, you do not live in W-S now. Perhaps your worries are based on an earlier impression? Or we might have different ways of looking at things?

I am limited by how much I can afford. I have seen in the apartment guide book many apartments (saw them online, too) that are quite lovely but not in my price range. I have to stick to what I can afford. I am a very cautious person. I have lived in the Syracuse area a long, long time and a lot of this area is not wonderful. Shootings, stabbings, you name it, it's in the paper every day. So I am familiar with it and have good street sense. I know what I am interested in and plan to focus on that. I am a bit of a homebody, too.

I like the mountains and plan to visit them often. And an occasional trip to the beach will be fun.

22 years ago I moved to Tyler, TX in the middle of a horrible blizzard. My son came up to "help" me move. It was a huge mistake. Should have done it by myself.

I may be up in age but my lifetime of experience has prepared me. Please do not worry.
So glad you have found good advice!

Maybe I didn't explain it well but I totally agree with what you say others have advised as far as the area to look in. I meant exactly what you said - west of 52 and in the NW quadrant. So it sounds like we all agree on that being a good target area.

I hope you will have a great trip to NC this weekend!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Eh, NYgal, I doubt W-S is any more riskier than Syracuse crime wise.

Sppsrently the area is a hotbed for seniors, so you won't be lonely for long!

There should be lots of rentals available coming up due to school letting out for summer. Have you considered a roommate?

Def stop in at the senior centers. You might connect with someone who can give you the lay of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement