U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 04:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

😊REDUCED..DINETTE SET / WROUGHT IRON AND WOOD

contemporary black leather furniture set (loveseat, sofa, chair)

Dixie French Provincial Canopy Bed and Desk/Vanity

Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Eh, NYgal, I doubt W-S is any more riskier than Syracuse crime wise.

Sppsrently the area is a hotbed for seniors, so you won't be lonely for long!

There should be lots of rentals available coming up due to school letting out for summer. Have you considered a roommate?

Def stop in at the senior centers. You might connect with someone who can give you the lay of the land.

CCc girl, you are definitely a great support. You have given me some great ideas to think about and I can't wait to get there so I can start doing "things" and meeting new people.

I'm not too good with roommates..... lived alone too long. I've talked to some friends up here and they pretty much agree with that. We have gotten pretty well used to our privacy, etc. After I check out the apartment I'm going to look at Tuesday I will have an idea of what is out there in my price range. It sounds like a good place, I saw a video of it and it appeared nice. There are many affordable apartments in that area I am interested in.

While I have not met you (and a few others on this forum), I feel I have already met some friends.

Need to find Willie Nelson's song.... "On the road again....."

Old 05-08-2015, 06:43 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Default Furniture

These are beautiful! I especially like the dining set. The price is unbelievably perfect and the idea they would deliver is great, too.

Something to think about, for sure.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 PM

214 posts, read 195,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
NYgal2NC: Wishing you a wonderful journey to NC. We retired to Greenville, SC, about 16 months ago. We love it here. There is always something to do, and it is quite affordable. We moved here from OK. Our son and daughter-in-law live here so that was the draw. With that said, we realize they may not always be here, but, we plan to stay. There is a huge network of Senior Activities for little or no cost. If that is not your thing, there are many other activities in the Arts, Music, etc. Have you ever considered Greenville, SC?

SUSMUSIC: We LOVE the Sarasota area. In fact, we just came back from spending a week in Longboat Key. Unfortunately, FL is not in our budget to live full time, but, we do love to visit.

Marie
That sounds great, and I am happy you love it there in South Carolina. We all need to find where we will be the most happy. There are areas of Sarasota that are very expensive. I managed to find an apartment that was reasonable. They are difficult to find and many of them have waiting lists. Best of luck with all that you do in SC.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 PM

214 posts, read 195,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
SUSMUSIC: Thank you for your post. You have a great attitude. I liked Sarasota when I visited many years ago. However, in doing a COL comparison, FL is really expensive to live in now.

There are some things going on here that at times get to me more than they should and I get a little spastic about it. Unfortunately, it affects the good stuff, too.

I'm divorced 32+ years and doing OK. I know some gals who have a new guy/husband almost right away but that didn't happen for me. It took me maybe 20+ years to even consider it might be nice to remarry. Well, now it's 32+ and I'm still single. Maybe I should just pay attention to what is happening in my life and enjoy it! There is plenty of discovery and excitement in moving to a new state with new places to visit, new things to do, new people to meet. I am honestly looking forward to it. Making new friends has never been a problem for me but learning to know who the real friends from the just acquaintances are can be a problem. I need to smarten up on that subject.

I am retired for 9 years, not a lot of money but doing OK, can't imagine going to work again (ugh).

Thanks again, you have been very helpful to me.

You're very welcome. It sounds like you have a great attitude and you are moving in a positive direction. It is definitely harder to move and make changes when you are single. I agree, that often it is not the best thing to re-marry right away. I know of a few situations where the second marriages did not work out so well. (My ex-husband is a prime example.)

I am sure you will do fine when you re-locate to a new state. I know I have to remind myself that it takes some time to adjust to a new area, learn your way around, join activities, and make friends. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:36 PM

NYgal, that dinette set is so cute.

I tend to be a little cheerleady, but I'm a glass half full type gal, so there ya go.

My point in posting the links isn't really to lead you to buy stuff, but to consider the wonderful new opportunities that aait you if you will only let them find you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMZoy3rrlM

Old 05-09-2015, 07:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
You would be a great shoestring interior decorator~~~

Old 05-10-2015, 03:58 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
We arrived back in NY yesterday afternoon after an uneventful drive. Everything we brought back is put away, groceries bought and the pets have found their favorite spots once again.

The neighbors are happy to see us back, the policeman on patrol greeted us, we met a boat club member in the grocery store who filled us in on all the news and the pizza shops owner was happy to see us back too.

Yard work this morning to tidy up, to pull the maple tree seedlings and sweep up the things birch tree drops and that we are tracking into the house.

This is the life we lead in our parallel universe.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Just stopping by to say hi to everyone on this somewhat overcast but warm Sunday morning and to wish a happy Mothers Day to all.

I've been enjoying the many posts about moving/traveling that some of you are engaged in.

The two newly adopted old dogs are doing well, continuing to loose weight with the help of lots of green beans in their diets. Both have more medical issues than the rescue told me about but there was little in the vet records either about the level of the problems. One has rather severe allergies and will undergo testing in early July after she has been off the steroids for a 8 weeks. Unfortunately the allergy to whatever went undiagnosed and treated for so long that it had a major impact on her ears and she should have both ear canals removed which is a pretty big ticket surgery.

On a happy note I finally had my new sink installed. I lived with a porcelain double bowl style for 9 years and now have a single bowl stainless that comes with a smaller insert bowl, a large colendar and even a nice bamboo cutting board that all fit on the rim. I can't say that I suddenly LOVE doing dishes but my kitchen has never been tidier.

Nygal2NC I periodically head "down the mountain" to W-S to do a big Costco shop and although I haven't seen much of the area it does strike me as a pretty good place and in the winter I sometimes think that I might have been happier in that area but when I head down in the summer and feel the difference in temps from up up here on the Blue Ridge Plateau I know that I'd have a hard time coping with the heat.

With a chance of thunderstorm this afternoon I'd best get out and do some mowing this morning - the grass grows so fast. The ride on mower makes quick work of the broad expanses but there are hundred and hundreds of feet of edging around the fences, etc that take a lot of work, even with a good Stihl trimmer.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Yikes, Zug, I was getting worried about you. Glad to hear from you and doggies are okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You would be a great shoestring interior decorator~~~
Eek, negirl, I've always thought I was a total fail at decorating, thanks for the compliment. My secret esire is to have my interior similar to Robin's Nest, the estate on Magnum P.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We arrived back in NY yesterday afternoon after an uneventful drive. Everything we brought back is put away, groceries bought and the pets have found their favorite spots once again.

The neighbors are happy to see us back, the policeman on patrol greeted us, we met a boat club member in the grocery store who filled us in on all the news and the pizza shops owner was happy to see us back too.

Yard work this morning to tidy up, to pull the maple tree seedlings and sweep up the things birch tree drops and that we are tracking into the house.

This is the life we lead in our parallel universe.
Treasure every moment..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhQOvvV45w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement