U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times

Advertisements

Another movie recommendation ...
PG13, some drugs, some violence, no nudity.

Across the Universe
"In 1966 Jude, a young shipyard worker from Liverpool, enlists in the Merchant Navy and jumps ship in New Jersey hoping to find his American G.I. father, whom he has never met..."

You have to love the 1960's and Beatles music - the plot is centered on the songs, and there's over 30 of them.
There are characters named Lucy, Jude, Max, JoJo, Sadie, Prudence, Martha, Mr. Kite, Rita.
There's a rooftop concert. There's a Janis Joplin and a Jimi Hendrix character. There's a magic bus ride. There's Kool-aid There's a few dance numbers (the draft board!!), mostly 50/50 talking and singing.

I had fun just looking for clues, while singing along last night. And there was Joe Cocker, singing one of my favorite songs! Then I found Bono in another cameo, LOL.

It's not for everyone, it's definitely ... quirky.
I loved it. I've watched it sober, now I'm gonna watch it under the influence

Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just read this on CNN:

Trapped man, 85, wrote goodbye note before rescue This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

SENIORS>this is an excellent case for ALWAYS carrying a charged cell phone when we leave the house, and preferably in our pocket where we can reach it in an emergency. Also a big bottle of water and some snacks that will not melt in the car...every time we go out. Ya never know what can happen on any given day!

(I also carry a first aid kit, blanket, scissors within the car)
Wow, that blew me away. Thank God he was found.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Rest in Peace, B.B. King.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I keep checking to see if NYgal2NC has posted about visiting Winston Salem.

I don't know why I assumed that she was making a short trip over the weekend to find an apartment. Maybe she was planning to stay a lot longer than the weekend.

I am soooo curious how she feels about it now that she has actually visited.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,238,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I keep checking to see if NYgal2NC has posted about visiting Winston Salem.

I don't know why I assumed that she was making a short trip over the weekend to find an apartment. Maybe she was planning to stay a lot longer than the weekend.

I am soooo curious how she feels about it now that she has actually visited.
Me too I'm not ready for retirement yet but have been following her posts. I've never been to WS, but it seems to have the same low cost of living that I am accustomed to in Iowa. I really like Knoxville-TN and would think WS would have some of the same amenities yet the location would be better, i.e. mountains AND ocean nearby, and not as crowded.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
I thought she said she was going for a week? Maybe not.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I thought she said she was going for a week? Maybe not.
You are probably right - which would mean she would be back this weekend. Maybe we will hear from her sometime after Saturday.

BTW - hope you are doing well PhxBarb! (((hugs)))

Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Me too I'm not ready for retirement yet but have been following her posts. I've never been to WS, but it seems to have the same low cost of living that I am accustomed to in Iowa. I really like Knoxville-TN and would think WS would have some of the same amenities yet the location would be better, i.e. mountains AND ocean nearby, and not as crowded.
I hope you will get to visit NC and check things out. There are so many nice communities near larger towns/cities . . . and dozens of small towns that are great places to retire.

It is typically going to be more expensive to live in any of the larger cities in NC than in a smaller community, and there are amazing free or low cost amenities in small towns all across the state, but again, that depends on what you are interested in. We have some smaller towns that are developing into really nice havens for artists, for example, something that has surprised me over the last 10 years.

And, smaller towns mean less traffic, lower property taxes (typically - and something to consider if you are buying a home or townhouse/condo). Also, senior services are handled not only on a county basis but on a regional basis (through the states Councils on Aging). Many small towns also have a decent bus service, too, so if driving is not in the cards . . . and walkability is awful in most of the larger cities in NC. Smaller towns are often very walkable (depending on what part of town you choose to live in, of course).

A lot of different criteria to think about, besides the obvious ones (such as cost of housing).

The first thing I suggest is to look at a crime map, as that can tell a lot about the area. Things are not as easy to decipher on the surface here in this part of the country. An area can look "nice" during the day and at night, be high crime. Hard for folks to understand this but it is a fact.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Thanks for the concern, Umbria. After finally getting over a 16 month battle with a sinus infection I am not worried. Seeing the ENT regularly now.

There should be a meetup for you NC bound .

Old 05-15-2015, 05:46 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Brokensky: Thanks for the good wishes. Not exactly how I thought this would turn out, so far.

After a week away, I usually take a whole day or 2 to regroup, relax and do laundry. Might happen so we may not hear any report for awhile, but I am also hoping to hear good stuff from her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement