U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:08 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530

Advertisements

Barb, how is the hip?

hugs, all

So excited, DH is over the pneumonia. Of course now he's hungover b/c we celebrated.........

 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 PM
 
1,594 posts, read 2,238,135 times
Reputation: 2791
Thank you brokensky for the valuable info. It sounds like i will have to make a trip out there someday and see for myself. I like the idea of a smaller town as long as it's near a city for medical, airport, and opportunities for volunteering/hobby classes. Thanks also for that crime link of the WS area you provided in an earlier post (I think that was from you). i would prefer a 2-bedroom condo in a safe area that is in my price range $90-110K. I see a few in Clemmons that could be a possibility.

Last edited by smpliving; 05-15-2015 at 07:40 PM..
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
Just got back from my trip to Winston-Salem, NC. Wow, Kind of tired tonight, just got in at about 7 p.m. Rt. 81 north and south bound were horrible...... like parking lots for a lot of the trip. So-called construction, many times did not see it tho.
Anyway, checked out several apartments. Even one out in Statesville (sp?) and could not believe the attitude of the girl behind the desk. I walked in and she just looked at me. I said I'm looking for a one-bedroom apartment..... she said she could not help me. What???? I wasn't looking to find one that day!! Some of the ice fell off her and I could talk to her a little bit. Decided against it tho it was a pretty place. Too far out for me. Then found one I really liked a lot. Filled out the application, etc. Got an email today telling me it failed. Darn it!! No explanation. I'm calling them tomorrow.
Not going to let that glitch mess up my dream!! I like it there.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:34 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Just got back from my trip to Winston-Salem, NC. Wow, Kind of tired tonight, just got in at about 7 p.m. Rt. 81 north and south bound were horrible...... like parking lots for a lot of the trip. So-called construction, many times did not see it tho.
Anyway, checked out several apartments. Even one out in Statesville (sp?) and could not believe the attitude of the girl behind the desk. I walked in and she just looked at me. I said I'm looking for a one-bedroom apartment..... she said she could not help me. What???? I wasn't looking to find one that day!! Some of the ice fell off her and I could talk to her a little bit. Decided against it tho it was a pretty place. Too far out for me. Then found one I really liked a lot. Filled out the application, etc. Got an email today telling me it failed. Darn it!! No explanation. I'm calling them tomorrow.
Not going to let that glitch mess up my dream!! I like it there.
The apartment you liked - was it in Statesville or Winston?

Statesville is in Iredell County and one of the fastest growing areas in the region is Mooresville, also in Iredell County. A lot of my friends are retirees from NY who have relocated to Mooresville.

I would highly recommend checking out the Mooresville area.

Just throwing that out there in case you don't find the right spot in Winston.
 
Old 05-16-2015, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
Default Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
The apartment you liked - was it in Statesville or Winston?

Statesville is in Iredell County and one of the fastest growing areas in the region is Mooresville, also in Iredell County. A lot of my friends are retirees from NY who have relocated to Mooresville.

I would highly recommend checking out the Mooresville area.

Just throwing that out there in case you don't find the right spot in Winston.
Thank you brokensky. There was an apartment that I had on my list in Mooresville but did not go to due to the fact I thought I had "found" one in Winston. I wanted to get back to Syracuse as soon as I could because a family member is dying and after conversation with Hospice, her condition didn't sound good.

Please tell me more about Mooresville. Grocery store, pharmacy, other shopping places? Will have to try to get there again soon.
 
Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530
NYgal, sorry to hear about your relative. Blessings and peace.
 
Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Reputation: 7530
DP90: Remodeled single home in the Mooresville Graded School District.
 
Old 05-16-2015, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
CCc girl: Thank you!

Loved that house in Mooresville. Going to look at that Mooresville apartment on line. Prefer apartment to house right now, tho.

My cat was so glad to see me last night. She was visited twice a day by my neighbor who fed her and cleaned her box. But I could tell she missed me a lot (as I did her) and can't leave her again. Will have to find a way to take her with me next time I go. Have had her for 10+ years and she does not like collars, harnesses, etc. If I ever get another cat, that will be one of the first lessons......wearing something like that. : = }
 
Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
TALKED TO SOMEONE AT THE APARTMENT COMPLEX IN W-S AND I WAS APPROVED. THAT EMAIL WENT OUT BEFORE THE FINAL THING WAS DONE. I'M SO EXCITED!!

brokensky: I did check apartments in Mooresville in a Google search and discovered most of them were well beyond my price range. But there were some that had definite possibilities. But since I now approved for Winston, I'll stick with that plan. BTW, the pictures of the town the search showed were very inviting. Looks like they are growing, as you mentioned.
 
Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
TALKED TO SOMEONE AT THE APARTMENT COMPLEX IN W-S AND I WAS APPROVED. THAT EMAIL WENT OUT BEFORE THE FINAL THING WAS DONE. I'M SO EXCITED!!

brokensky: I did check apartments in Mooresville in a Google search and discovered most of them were well beyond my price range. But there were some that had definite possibilities. But since I now approved for Winston, I'll stick with that plan. BTW, the pictures of the town the search showed were very inviting. Looks like they are growing, as you mentioned.
This is wonderful news! YAY! <doing celebration dance>

Yes, I think Mooresville is a terrific area. All the amenities and near the lake (if that is something you care about - can be nice to just be near the water for lunch now and then if nothing else).

My sister lives there and my parents retired to that area. And for some reason, folks from NY seem to really like the area! One of my closest friends is from NYC and has been in Mooresville nearly 10 years now and she is soooo happy there. And in her neighborhood, there are so many other lovely folks from NYC and Long Island (and upstate NY as well). They are getting new restaurants to meet the demand from New Yorkers who know what a really good bakery and pizza are all about, lol. That has made it wonderful for all of us!

The nice thing about being in Winston is - you can spend time checking out other areas, too. But you may find that you settle in and are in your perfect retirement spot. In any case, I am so very happy that your apartment was approved. Now, you can really make your plans.

I remember your mentioning your sick loved one. It is a difficult time, I am sure. I will be thinking about you. Please stay in touch when you have the time to post.

Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top