U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Am I understanding this: the lawyer got you $40,000 but you owe him $50,000 so you still need another $10,000 for the lawyer?

I hope I'm missing something here.
The lawyer got the entire $50,000 from her insurance & $100,000 from my insurance. So, if I read the chack correctly, he will get $51k plus & I will get $31k plus & the rest will be in "trust" until the final rendering of the bills. I don't want to insinuate that he is misleading in his estimates, but it is puzzling to me.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 AM

16,598 posts, read 10,549,444 times
Sounds like it would be good to ask your lawyer. Not to attack, just to understand.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:56 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
^ +1

Trust your instincts, NY2 gal, they are correct 80% of the time, or so I've heard.......

Old 05-24-2015, 03:52 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
I don't know that I'd call it intuition, but one of my roommates gave me some good apartment-hunting advice (this applied especially when moving in with roommates, but I'd guess it applies generally). He said, if you go into a place and feel like you've just come home, you can stop looking. You'll be happy there. On the other hand, if you go into a place and feel uncomfortable, keep looking. You'll almost certainly not be happy there.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:14 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I don't know that I'd call it intuition, but one of my roommates gave me some good apartment-hunting advice (this applied especially when moving in with roommates, but I'd guess it applies generally). He said, if you go into a place and feel like you've just come home, you can stop looking. You'll be happy there. On the other hand, if you go into a place and feel uncomfortable, keep looking. You'll almost certainly not be happy there.
That is really great advice. When I was visiting W-S a couple of weeks ago I went apartment hunting. When I was being shown one, I had an instant "connect" feeling with it. But because I am who I am, I thought I had to keep looking "for something bigger and better." So a few days later I found one like that. But then it was going to cost me a lot more money. But I paid for the application, left with a fistful of information, and drove home feeling good. After I got home I started to really think about how that extra expense was going to affect me. Then I started to think about the one I felt connection with. Changed my mind and am signing up to move into the one I can afford and I feel quite peaceful about it.
Wow, so good to pay attention to how we feel about something.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:07 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Very true. I wrote void on the check and asked for an accounting of the monies. This is one survey from customer service that would flunk.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 AM

Great news NYgal! So excited for you.

Don't take any crap, meo. Give 'em hell!

I am getting less worried and looking forward to the move. DH is really relieved that daughter and BF can do the big haul. He felt so much better yesterday.

So good that we completely dismantled the tractor that we've been working on for the last two months. All the good parts are clean and ready to go up on ebay.

One of his buddies stopped up on his Harley and visited for awhile, It was nice to see DH feeling good.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Great news NYgal! So excited for you.

Don't take any crap, meo. Give 'em hell!

I am getting less worried and looking forward to the move. DH is really relieved that daughter and BF can do the big haul. He felt so much better yesterday.

So good that we completely dismantled the tractor that we've been working on for the last two months. All the good parts are clean and ready to go up on ebay.

One of his buddies stopped up on his Harley and visited for awhile, It was nice to see DH feeling good.
Hi! I haven't been around much lately, obviously, but have managed to read here every day. Gads, but all of you are so busy these days! Moving, starting a new life and dealing with health issues too. I'm glad your dh is feeling better and hope that continues.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's pretty much how I felt when I was looking for a house to buy. Of all the ones I looked at THIS one is the one I felt the most comfortable in from the get go. Just pulling into the driveway I thought the house was so cute and liked it. Once I got inside I was, at least, smart enough to not let paint colors...or lack of it!...and furnishings block my visions for the place. I'm still happy with my choice and working on making it 'my own'.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Thanks, ADB. I apprec iate all of the well wishes and support here.

So excited for your new place! We want pictures!

Off to tidy up the living room. My dad is coming Monday to drive a car down for us. I am going to load it to the gills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement