U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times

Advertisements

Is a hide out space common for that area?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Is a hide out space common for that area?

I think a lot of states that are prone to tornadoes have hideout places. Usually basement, but some newer homes are built to withstand certain strengths of them. Remember how Oklahoma was hit last year? An entire school was hit and some kids died in it. Awful. Not much we can do about Mother Nature except learn to protect ourselves.

My late sister's daughter and family live in Weston, FL, home to many hurricanes, and their home is built tight. They do have a room in the middle of the house that is where they would go if it got hit really bad. I was there during hurricane Wilma. I had always wanted to "see" a hurricane (yes, I'm a bit whacko when it comes to weather extremes). My niece's husband opened the door while we were in the eye of the hurricane.... wow. Can't get over the ferocity of it.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
[quote=CCc girl;39860410] Wow, that sucks. Is Carrier still one of the biggest employers in the area, or are they funnelling them out of state like so many other companies thanks to out state government??

Back in the mid to late 1980s Carrier was bought out by United Technologies Inc. At that time they reassured us there would be no layoffs. Ha. We weren't stupid. After the first year, the layoffs/terminations began. A company that employed in 1960 over 7,000 people in Syracuse, NY is now down to (guesstimate) under 300 in Syracuse. A lot of the manufacturing buildings were torn down, equipment sold or salvaged. No manufacturing or warehousing is in Syracuse anymore. In late 1980s mfg. started heading to Mexico, Brazil, etc. I am pretty sure that work is being done in many other places (NOT the US). I believe the plant/offices in Tyler have been shut down, too, as other satellites within US.

General Electric (Lockheed Martin) is pretty downsized now, too. They did a lot of military stuff and now wait to be awarded contracts. Not sure how they are doing right now. My late sister worked there.

Lots of New York state people have headed south in search of jobs and better economy.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:05 PM

The GE plant in Hudson Falls closed. No one will say it but it's a smackdown to New York State for them making GE dredge the Hudson for PCB's, even though the EPA confirmed that the river was healing itself and didn't need it.

They are also laying off upper tier workers from the headquarters in Schenectady.

Beech Nut packed up and moved a few years ago. Remington just laid off a bunch last year and opened a new plant in Alabama, another smackdown to Cuomo's Safe Act. Maytag left a few years ago, too.

It cracks me up, those start up NY commercials touting that NY state is 'open for business'.

Just thinking about all that lit a fire under my tush to get outta here......whew!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:13 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,208,052 times
We need a week or so of dry sunny weather so that the farmers can get the hay cut and dried and baled. However the forecast is not looking good for that. I've been keeping busy with both yard and house work. I do need to dig out as many of the small thistle plants that are sprouting up in the back yard as possible.

Don't know if I'd mentioned that I sprained my right ankle last week but I finally broke down and went to see my foot doc and he said that it could take 6 to 8 months for the swelling to completely go away with a sprain of this type. So I can't wear my heavy leather hiking/work boots with my new orthotics. If I had been wearing them the day I did this I might not have had such a bad injury but I was lazy and opted for my light weight running shoes. Live and learn.

Rearranged some things in my kitchen and it now functions a bit better and as a result I am fixing better meals. It also helps that with more and tastier fruits and veggies becoming available I'm eating healthier and have even lost a few pounds.

One of the cats is doing an excellent job of catching mice out in the pasture and yard. I've seen her with one every day for the past 6 days. No matter how far out in the pasture she captures them she always brings them back to the porch to consume but does not share with the old cat. She is getting fat though because she also comes in and eats both dry and canned food.

Well, that's all the news from SwVA. Hope you are all having an enjoyable start to summer and that life is good.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
I turned the heat on yesterday morning, it was rainy and 64 degrees in the house. The cat who likes to ignore me couldn't get close enough, she was seeking warmth. My faithful walking companion, the dog, has developed a limp with one of his forelegs, I suspect arthritis and have a vet appt. later today to make sure nothing else is going on. There is a warm up coming and the heat is off again.

We started getting haircuts at a Great Clips chain in FL. $14 but with a once a year offer of up to ten cuts, it's $9.99 with a loaded card. We both have been happy with them. I don't color or perm my hair and just require a good cut. I always thought they would be sub par, but I was desperate for a haircut when we went to FL and was pleasantly surprised the first time there.. Online check in, quick in and out with no shampoo. So coming back to NY this year I went to a Great Clips here. My longtime hairdresser here does the shampoo, cut and blow dry for $30 and doesn't do a dry cut. It always looks nice but I go home and wash my hair after to get rid of all the short hairs. And it's no better than what I get at great Clips. It's one more change I've made since retiring. It's like tossing out things with memories, but it was time to move on and drop the guilt. It only took me two years to make the break.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:52 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,649,675 times
At the park, the method DH uses to fight thistles is to cut the main stem and put a drop of Round-Up on what's left. It's impossible to dig them up. And, you have to keep at it because the first time you do this it won't kill the plant.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 AM

1,958 posts, read 1,028,803 times
I had a special spring loaded tool for getting thistles. You slipped the tines under the rosette and stepped on the back end. No bending. After a good rain, it would bring the whole root out of my red clay soil.

those were the good old days

Hope everyone heals up and gets the weather they want. I enjoy reading your news.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Zugor, sorry to hear about that ankle. Mine is still swollen a tad and it's been years. Heal soon!

I hear you, jean_ji, heat was on yesterday, too. 40's that morning.

Running the rinse cycle on the dishwasher with vinegar, I'm sick of that hard water white film on my glasses!

Weeding, LMAO, what's that? You all would be horrified at my flower beds.....

DH is bummed b/c we can't take our backhoe to the new place. Not allowed unless real construction going on with a building permit. We were going to include it with the sale of the house........

Mail call BBL!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I'm sure hairy women were all the rage back in the cave days
Possibly, but not likely. More hair means more fleas.

Here's an interesting article about the ancient Egyptians.

History Undressed: Historical Methods of Hair Removal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement