U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 04:18 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I want to thank all of you who encouraged me to not back down when dealing with my lawyer. Just received a voice message (couldn't get to the phone in time) & he is issuing a check without the final on it & sending copies of the checks they mailed out. I'd asked for a full accounting so we'll see what he sends. Thanks again.
Good for you! I hope this all works out in your favor!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 PM

39 posts, read 31,338 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Good for you! I hope this all works out in your favor!
Thanks Deelighted No amount of money will replace my back or loss of mobility, but I know I wouldn't have even gotten this far without a lawyer but I refuse to let him take me for a ride. If necessary I will consult with anther lawyer. I did not realize that my brother's neighbor had a large law firm. I'm sure he would help me if I needed help.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
This is the last time I am trying to post this and My crappy laptop (HP) is going to be replaced by a tablet really soon. I am on my 5th and have lost everything on this one recently, even after putting $245 into a new keyboard and hard drive at Data Doctors (ripoff). Daughter has a 7" Samsung that is nice but I want something bigger. Probably 10". Am DONE with laptops.

BTW: Thanks for asking about the hip. I HAVE RECOVERED !!! It was the Psoas muscle that needed rest and recup. Started on Aleve and stopped trying to do so much. Sorry for the underline. The computer wants to dothis so Iwill just let it. Neverbuy an HP.
My laptop is on its last leg. I have a Compaq. They're not made anymore. Going to look into a Levedo. Heard they're decent. Hopefully it will make until all the back to school sales start.

Glad you're doing better.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:47 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
How d o I start a thread. One neighbor is on SSI because she was claimed disabled due to a series of strokes. They told her she had to stay on it, even though she is now 65. What advice could she be given. I did tell her that I was on SSDI & SSI took me on for only one month, then dispelled me because I made too much through SSDI. HELP! I do not want to ever give inaccurate information.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 AM

There's a "start a new thread" button near the top of each thread's page.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:49 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
There's a "start a new thread" button near the top of each thread's page.
Thank you.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Stage 2 of moving countdown . . . they will be here in the next 15 minutes or so.

What is so sad - I am having a lot moved but there is still so much left to pack up (belongings, not furniture - furniture is down to only a few pieces in each room).

And the garage . . . heavens.

Can't get a painter in here . . . have contacted half a dozen, three of which even showed up to do estimates, and only one ever bothered to provide the estimate! And it is $1000 more than my budget can handle. Of course, he added some items like gutters . . . we are only talking windows to be painted. Trying to find out if the other guy that came last week is going to actually give me a bid or not.

I have assessed my situation. I evidently checked into Hotel California back in 2002 . . . and there's no way out.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Can't get a painter in here . . . have contacted half a dozen, three of which even showed up to do estimates, and only one ever bothered to provide the estimate! And it is $1000 more than my budget can handle. Of course, he added some items like gutters . . . we are only talking windows to be painted. Trying to find out if the other guy that came last week is going to actually give me a bid or not.

I have assessed my situation. I evidently checked into Hotel California back in 2002 . . . and there's no way out.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Are there any college students or teenagers in your area that could do the painting? You may have to supervise them, but they should not be budget busters. Just a thought - take with a grain of salt

Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Are there any college students or teenagers in your area that could do the painting? You may have to supervise them, but they should not be budget busters. Just a thought - take with a grain of salt
We have an organization in my town called Hire A Vet. They have guys that can, and will, do anything around a home/yard. Even guys who will come and just do small handyman type things and guys who can advise you for landscaping, painting, etc. and do it, if you want them to. I'm not sure how much they charge but it depends on if it's by the job or by the hour. I expect handyman work would be by the hour and house painting would be by the job? I've been sorely tempted to call them but, so far, I've been lucky to have good people help me out here and there.

Right now I have my own painting 'dilemma'. When I bought this house, and thought about painting all the rooms, I did NOT take into consideration how BIG and TALL they are! lol Lots of square footage and 10 foot tall in some areas. Even with a ladder they are hard for me to reach and I've found out that being that high on a ladder makes me reallllly nervous! Yesterday I did a nutty thing. Set up the ladder, climbed up and leaned forward a little to see if I could reach the top of the wall and THUNK! Got hit in the back of the head by the ceiling fan. Good thing I was leaning over or I'd have got whacked upside the head! And it wasn't going very fast, thank goodness. Still have a bit of a goose egg and lesson learned! So, anyway, I think I needs me a little help. lol

Hmmmm...maybe my friend at work was right...I got no business going up and down ladders! lol Naw, I'll be okay. Just got to remember to check those fans!!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Is anyone else here put off by the current emergence of movies aimed at aging boomers? The latest to hit my local theater is I'll See You in My Dreams. Looking at the trailer, the acting seems poor and the plot clichéd. Even the Second Best Marigold Hotel put me off. On Golden Pond was enough. I'll bet we'll be treated to more before long, all with a slight twist of the same theme, aging, self-image, second and third chance at love, etc. Why can't older actors just be in really good movies that are not aimed at their age group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement