U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,657 posts, read 11,107,102 times
Reputation: 19431

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is anyone else here put off by the current emergence of movies aimed at aging boomers? The latest to hit my local theater is I'll See You in My Dreams. Looking at the trailer, the acting seems poor and the plot clichéd. Even the Second Best Marigold Hotel put me off. On Golden Pond was enough. I'll bet we'll be treated to more before long, all with a slight twist of the same theme, aging, self-image, second and third chance at love, etc. Why can't older actors just be in really good movies that are not aimed at their age group?
It's nothing new. Have you read Memento Mori? I can't recall how old I was when I read it, but it made the prospect of old age seem most grim. However, I do recommend it. Muriel Spark was a great author.

http://www.amazon.com/Memento-Mori-M...k+memento+mori
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,178 posts, read 9,231,808 times
Reputation: 11763
quote=newenglandgirl;39985604]Is anyone else here put off by the current emergence of movies aimed at aging boomers? The latest to hit my local theater is I'll See You in My Dreams. Looking at the trailer, the acting seems poor and the plot clichéd. Even the Second Best Marigold Hotel put me off. On Golden Pond was enough. I'll bet we'll be treated to more before long, all with a slight twist of the same theme, aging, self-image, second and third chance at love, etc. Why can't older actors just be in really good movies that are not aimed at their age group?[/quote]

Neg: I don't go to any of those movies. Ugh. I prefer fast moving drama, war movies, gangster movies and car chases and skip the lovey dovey stuff. I thought the first Marigold Hotel was awful and would never go see the second one. I won't be at the See You in My Dreams either. There have not been many good movies out since December.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,920,407 times
Reputation: 32336
"Nebraska" was about aging. The acting was top-notch and the plot was anything but conventional. A intelligent comedy with a serious side. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,154,208 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
quote=newenglandgirl;39985604]Is anyone else here put off by the current emergence of movies aimed at aging boomers? The latest to hit my local theater is I'll See You in My Dreams. Looking at the trailer, the acting seems poor and the plot clichéd. Even the Second Best Marigold Hotel put me off. On Golden Pond was enough. I'll bet we'll be treated to more before long, all with a slight twist of the same theme, aging, self-image, second and third chance at love, etc. Why can't older actors just be in really good movies that are not aimed at their age group?
Neg: I don't go to any of those movies. Ugh. I prefer fast moving drama, war movies, gangster movies and car chases and skip the lovey dovey stuff. I thought the first Marigold Hotel was awful and would never go see the second one. I won't be at the See You in My Dreams either. There have not been many good movies out since December.[/quote]

I'm with you! These gushy sentimental films about aging are starting to smell like "let's tap into the boomers at the box office." I'm going to re-see The Godfather.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,590,776 times
Reputation: 22437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
"Nebraska" was about aging. The acting was top-notch and the plot was anything but conventional. A intelligent comedy with a serious side. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Yes, worth seeing
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 AM
 
1,706 posts, read 1,265,189 times
Reputation: 4834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
"Nebraska" was about aging. The acting was top-notch and the plot was anything but conventional. A intelligent comedy with a serious side. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Thank you, I put this on my wish list.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 AM
 
1,706 posts, read 1,265,189 times
Reputation: 4834
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is anyone else here put off by the current emergence of movies aimed at aging boomers? The latest to hit my local theater is I'll See You in My Dreams. Looking at the trailer, the acting seems poor and the plot clichéd. Even the Second Best Marigold Hotel put me off. On Golden Pond was enough. I'll bet we'll be treated to more before long, all with a slight twist of the same theme, aging, self-image, second and third chance at love, etc. Why can't older actors just be in really good movies that are not aimed at their age group?
Yes, I agree. I would go to see an intelligent movie with interesting well developed older character/s. I get that Hollywood makes money off of movies like the Second Best Marigold Hotel, but I find it offensive that older characters are routinely reduced to the same old stereotypes. We are not all widows/widowers looking for a second-chance at love, or overflowing with boundless wisdom, cantankerous yet lovable, senile or befuddled, or lonely and just waiting for someone whether neighborhood kid, dog, or irascible librarian to show us the true meaning of life.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 08:20 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,093 posts, read 9,639,587 times
Reputation: 5879
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Yes, I agree. I would go to see an intelligent movie with interesting well developed older character/s. I get that Hollywood makes money off of movies like the Second Best Marigold Hotel, but I find it offensive that older characters are routinely reduced to the same old stereotypes. We are not all widows/widowers looking for a second-chance at love, or overflowing with boundless wisdom, cantankerous yet lovable, senile or befuddled, or lonely and just waiting for someone whether neighborhood kid, dog, or irascible librarian to show us the true meaning of life.
It's a comedy. Most comedies rely on stereotyping their characters regardless of age, so I didn't find the movie offensive.

If it had tried to be a drama and treated its characters like that, I would just have concluded that it was a poorly-made movie and wouldn't have wasted my time to watch it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,920,407 times
Reputation: 32336
Let's all post our college majors. I majored in animal husbandry. That is, until they caught me at it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 02:23 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,096 posts, read 3,569,242 times
Reputation: 10926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Let's all post our college majors. I majored in animal husbandry. That is, until they caught me at it.
I had to take boring bussiness classes. Wish I'd taken art & writing classes.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top