U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-14-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Let's all post our college majors. I majored in animal husbandry. That is, until they caught me at it.
Before graduating from high school I was told emphatically by my mother that I would NOT go to college, that I would take secretarial courses and become a secretary as my older sister did (she also got the same message from Mom). So that's what I did, graduated H.S., got a job, married, had children, lived a dull, unloving life, divorced, took classes, got an A.S. degree in humanities. After losing my good job, took classes to become medical transcription. 14 years later, downsized (again!).

Oh, and let's not forget --- college of hard knocks. LOL

 
Old 06-14-2015, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Reputation: 11779
ER: This is one joke that passed me by. What the heck are you saying here? You were a husband to an animal? Or ???
 
Old 06-14-2015, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
ER: This is one joke that passed me by. What the heck are you saying here? You were a husband to an animal? Or ???
It was a sexual reference, obviously. One of those "jokes" that sinks to the carpet.
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Let's all post our college majors. I majored in animal husbandry. That is, until they caught me at it.
LOL..Shame on you!

My parents told me that college was not in my future, that I'd just "get married and have a house full of kids" so that's what I did. I didn't make it to college till I was in my early 30s. I majored in Psychology. I didn't graduate, unfortunately, but still managed to finish three years with a 3.8 GPA. All while working full time, raising four kids and taking care of all the things a 'good housewife' does. Good thing I had a lot of energy!
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
LOL..Shame on you!

My parents told me that college was not in my future, that I'd just "get married and have a house full of kids" so that's what I did. I didn't make it to college till I was in my early 30s. I majored in Psychology. I didn't graduate, unfortunately, but still managed to finish three years with a 3.8 GPA. All while working full time, raising four kids and taking care of all the things a 'good housewife' does. Good thing I had a lot of energy!
Sounds like your mother and my mother could be related! Just kidding. Mine wanted my middle sister to take secretarial classes and then go to work after graduation. The implication was so that she could then get an apartment and have Mom move in with her. (So she could get away from our abusive father).

Then when it was my turn, I wanted to go to college but Mom said no, you will do what your sister did in the hopes I would followup with the apartment (I did not.... got married instead).

College came later in life for me, too. Can't remember my GPA but did pretty well and received an Associates degree in Humanities.
 
Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Sounds like your mother and my mother could be related! Just kidding. Mine wanted my middle sister to take secretarial classes and then go to work after graduation. The implication was so that she could then get an apartment and have Mom move in with her. (So she could get away from our abusive father).

Then when it was my turn, I wanted to go to college but Mom said no, you will do what your sister did in the hopes I would followup with the apartment (I did not.... got married instead).

College came later in life for me, too. Can't remember my GPA but did pretty well and received an Associates degree in Humanities.
Neither of my parents were very gung ho about any of their kids going to college. My dad did and he was the first in his family to do so. My mom was from Australia and over there a kids school years were done at age 14 1/2, at which time they went to work in one of the local factories. So no college in her family either but they all did very well in life. It may not be that way now but was back 'in the day'. I will say that my parents were extremely proud of me going to school and thought it was just great. In later years they actually apologized for saying what they did and for not letting me do what I wanted to do...go to college and become a nurse. One time when we were talking about it the bottom line was "there's no money for college". I told my dad I would be happy to join the military and go to school on the GI Bill like he did. He about came unglued! Women did NOT belong in the military and they were all "sluts". Hmmmm, okay.

I'm actually glad I went later in life because, being the kid I was...raised strict, very little freedoms or decision making on my own...I would probably have been more into the fun, partying and 'boys'. By the time I did get to go I was more than ready and serious about it. So, it didn't turn out to be a 'bad' thing, not going as a youngster. I could probably still get my degree but over the years the interest has waned and I've got other plans for my old age. I have taken various classes at our local community college over the years but not for any future ambitions. Just because I was interested and wanted to learn. I took a Creative Writing class at one point and aced it! But I never put it to good use either. I have a couple of books in me but I'm lazy, don't believe in myself enough and have 'other stuff' going on.
 
Old 06-14-2015, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
AZDesertBrat: Sounds as though you are in a pretty good spot now. I did some writing for a class I took and got an A on all of them. Of course they were papers on things I was intimately familiar with:
Alcoholics (parents and sisters); Divorce (one sister and me); and good grief, can't remember the third. I've been told a few times I could write, thought about taking classes, etc. Never acted on any of it. It's getting that first paragraph written......... that is the hardest for me.
 
Old 06-14-2015, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
AZDesertBrat: Sounds as though you are in a pretty good spot now. I did some writing for a class I took and got an A on all of them. Of course they were papers on things I was intimately familiar with:
Alcoholics (parents and sisters); Divorce (one sister and me); and good grief, can't remember the third. I've been told a few times I could write, thought about taking classes, etc. Never acted on any of it. It's getting that first paragraph written......... that is the hardest for me.
They say you should write about what you know the best. I wrote the first chapter of one of my books in that writing class. I still have it. I wanted to write about my great grandparents. Lord knows I know enough about them 'to write a book'. lol It would have been mostly about my great grandmother and her three kids and how they made it in life. Fiction based on fact. I have a good outline and the first chapter...that's it.
 
Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
They say you should write about what you know the best. I wrote the first chapter of one of my books in that writing class. I still have it. I wanted to write about my great grandparents. Lord knows I know enough about them 'to write a book'. lol It would have been mostly about my great grandmother and her three kids and how they made it in life. Fiction based on fact. I have a good outline and the first chapter...that's it.
I think that would be a pretty interesting book. Hope one day you are able to complete it. I'd like to read it!
 
Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Can't sleep . . . and before I shut my computer down . . . thought I would share what I am watching on Netflix - "Wallender." (I think that is the spelling. May be Wallander)

I highly recommend it!

Have a good week ahead! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top