U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not to change the subject, but something just "came back" to me today about our generation...the generation of the multi-volume Encyclopedia! Our childhoods were in the era of "every child needs a good set." These were expensive for many families, only my middle-class wealthy friends at school had them and were the envy of those who didn't. It's hard to believe, though we did, that kids opened these real books to look up anything and everything for our class assignments...or we had to trek to the library where the AXYZ set was under "reference" and could not be checked out. Slaving away over a B volume.... Do they make book encyclopedia anymore?? Does anyone still own a set?
Did not have them when I was a kid but did buy a whole set for my kids. I think I used them more. Some interesting reading, I thought. Have no idea where they are now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
NYgal2NC - So sorry about your beloved Mimsy crossing that Rainbow bridge....how old is the "new" kitty? My daughter and SIL had a similar naming experience - they found a stray while sitting in the rocking chairs on the front porch of a Cracker Barrel [after dinner] and named the cat Cracker.
My new kitty is about the same age as Mimsy was when I got her 1 to 2 years old. When they get strays in from the streets they have no way of knowing the actual age. Think they go by teeth, overall condition of the cat.

Cracker is a cute name!

Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Check out these clickable links to feed stray cats and dogs for free, just click!!!!!!!!!

click to give food today

And boos to that horrible poster suggesting you took less than top notch care of your furchild, NY2gal, I really had to bite my tongue, er, fingers.........

Oooh, negirl, we had a beautiful set of Brittanicas.......

I could not believe what that poster said, either. I put him/her on ignore so don't know what else he is saying, but then don't really care. Nothing helpful.

On Facebook, there is a site that keeps coming up with a place to click for free food to go for animals. Must be the same site. Great idea!!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
NY2gal, I cannot tell you how many night I sat in front of my pc looking at cat pics, sobbing, for years, yes, years. It does get better, trust me.

BION I am convinced that person was female.

What ye cast out returneth three times.........

Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
For the lovely people who comforted me in the loss of my Mimsy.

I was crying almost all the time. Decided that had to stop. So I went to the SPCA today. They have 330 cats for adoption. A couple of generics and quite a few little "kids". And plenty in between.

Hard to choose. But I picked one out. Her name is Tessa but since I found her on Wednesday her name is Wendy. I'll get her Saturday.
I've been crying so much today about my cat. I am so happy you found your new friend. My cat is at my brothers as I could not have him in my new apartment. I've been there quite a few times but my cat would not come out. Today he did & practically jumped into my arms. He'd started a long time ago to kiss me back when I kissed him & he did that & just relaxed in my arms. I hated to leave him & I'm sure he was confused. I just wish I could have him here. Miss him so much.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
Quote:
Not to change the subject, but something just "came back" to me today about our generation...the generation of the multi-volume Encyclopedia! Our childhoods were in the era of "every child needs a good set." These were expensive for many families, only my middle-class wealthy friends at school had them and were the envy of those who didn't. It's hard to believe, though we did, that kids opened these real books to look up anything and everything for our class assignments...or we had to trek to the library where the AXYZ set was under "reference" and could not be checked out. Slaving away over a B volume.... Do they make book encyclopedia anymore?? Does anyone still own a set?
My parents had a set. Can't remember off the top of my head what they were. I think my son still has them. We had a Bible Encyclopedia. My sister has that set.

My wife is going on a road trip with my SIL and MIL tomorrow through Sun. That means I'll be alone and unsupervised. The possibilities are endless.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 AM

4,528 posts, read 4,819,135 times
Quote:

Oh, Neg, thanks for the trip down memory lane!! My grandparents gave us a set and we all had such fun going through them. Wonderful times!

Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Oh, Neg, thanks for the trip down memory lane!! My grandparents gave us a set and we all had such fun going through them. Wonderful times!
I remember when I worked at the city library when I was in h.s. The kids would come in after school and fight over a particular volume - must've all had the same assignment, lol.

I also well remember having to look up news articles on microfilm, cranking the shiny brown film through the machine till you finally found the article you were looking for and then pushing a button for a paper copy. And then rewinding (remember that sound?) the roll and putting it back in its case in its alphabetized drawer and paying 5 cents.

Also the spooky "stacks" down in the basement where you hunted for your publication and pulled it out from the stacks of others. One day in 1963 I was working down in the dimly lit stacks returning items to their shelves when I suddenly heard screams from the floor above me. We had a "flasher" in our library back then and I thought maybe this guy was pulling some act with the patrons. I ran upstairs and people were sobbing and hugging. The president had been shot.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:12 AM

8,761 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
My parents bought a set of encyclopedias when I was about ten. I don't recall the name but I used them through high school. They included a bunch of other books like hobby/craft books and at least half a dozen 'classic' books for kids. I remember Treasure Island, Heidi, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer and a few others. My dad's standard reply whenever I'd ask about something was, "Look it up!".

Old 06-25-2015, 07:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My parents bought a set of encyclopedias when I was about ten. I don't recall the name but I used them through high school. They included a bunch of other books like hobby/craft books and at least half a dozen 'classic' books for kids. I remember Treasure Island, Heidi, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer and a few others. My dad's standard reply whenever I'd ask about something was, "Look it up!".
I love that they were hardbound and their covers textured. You got the feeling that the information in those volumes was never going to change. We were probably reading a lot of entries that were woefully outdated, till the next edition years later came along. Somehow we managed to get educated in the days before e-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement