U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I love that they were hardbound and their covers textured. You got the feeling that the information in those volumes was never going to change. We were probably reading a lot of entries that were woefully outdated, till the next edition years later came along. Somehow we managed to get educated in the days before e-data.
I loved those books but then I was a book lover from age 4. I wish I still had them, if only for nostalgias sake. My youngest granddaughter has been completely homeschooled K-12 and the vast majority of it was online. My daughter did buy her a nice set of encyclopedias but I think she got them at a thrift store. Remember the annual updated books they sent out every year? I used to collect those in thrift stores and got each of my kids a book that covered their birth year. They really liked those.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 AM

1,352 posts, read 866,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My parents bought a set of encyclopedias when I was about ten. I don't recall the name but I used them through high school. They included a bunch of other books like hobby/craft books and at least half a dozen 'classic' books for kids. I remember Treasure Island, Heidi, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer and a few others. My dad's standard reply whenever I'd ask about something was, "Look it up!".
My parents must have purchased the same sets! Our 'classic' books had brown binders with some gold emboss on the top cover. Think the encyclopedia set was Brittanica. Also had another set of juvenile books with short stories, such as the now not politically correct "Little Black Sambo" and my favorite "How the Christmas Tree Got Its Lights." Think these books were called Family something? and had red covers embossed with fanciful creatures on the top cover.

We had a Funk & Wagnalls 2 volume set dictionary. When the TV show, Laugh In, used the line "Now look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls" we always chuckled And boy those volumes weighed a ton! We probably would have broken a toe if we had dropped one

Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
My parents must have purchased the same sets! Our 'classic' books had brown binders with some gold emboss on the top cover. Think the encyclopedia set was Brittanica. Also had another set of juvenile books with short stories, such as the now not politically correct "Little Black Sambo" and my favorite "How the Christmas Tree Got Its Lights." Think these books were called Family something? and had red covers embossed with fanciful creatures on the top cover.

We had a Funk & Wagnalls 2 volume set dictionary. When the TV show, Laugh In, used the line "Now look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls" we always chuckled And boy those volumes weighed a ton! We probably would have broken a toe if we had dropped one
Our set wasn't Brittanica but "Family something" sounds familiar. My parents sold them after I graduated and they moved out of state.

I remember Laugh In and their "Funk and Wagnalls" jokes. I liked that show a lot.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
I still have an enormous dictionary up in the attic. It has a nice lectern type stand. Once my cat was propping herself on the lectern and she turned a page like she was reading it!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:29 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
What is going on with the retirement thread? I just saw the JuJu thread was closed.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:48 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've been crying so much today about my cat. I am so happy you found your new friend. My cat is at my brothers as I could not have him in my new apartment. I've been there quite a few times but my cat would not come out. Today he did & practically jumped into my arms. He'd started a long time ago to kiss me back when I kissed him & he did that & just relaxed in my arms. I hated to leave him & I'm sure he was confused. I just wish I could have him here. Miss him so much.
Oh my gosh, my heart is breaking for you!! How terrible! Will you ever be able to get your kitty back? I can understand the loneliness you are feeling right now. Your kitty definitely remembered you when he jumped into your arms and gave you a kiss!! He misses you, too!

I stopped by the SPCA today to spend some time with my new gal and a woman was bringing back a kitten that was cuter than all get out. Well it seems he likes to jump and play..... what kittens do. I mentioned getting a senior cat but don't think that will happen. Sad for the kitten (who will no doubt have a new home before the weekend is out) and of course the lady who brought him back. Sad for her.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Today is looking so much better!! After a couple of appointments I had to keep I decided to stop by the SPCA and have a visit with my new gal. I had some treats for her and I believe we bonded today. She is so sweet. She licked my fingers so I guess she likes me, LOL. I sure like her.

Can't wait till Saturday!

Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,150,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
What is going on with the retirement thread? I just saw the JuJu thread was closed.
The juju thread must have self infected itself with bad juju.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,823,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

I was wondering the same thing. Seems strange.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The juju thread must have self infected itself with bad juju.
Ha! Well, there some bad juju happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement