U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 09:30 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times

Advertisements

I'll wait to stop smoothies until the tests come back. Still have to talk to my Dr about seeing a gastrinalogist. I keep forgetting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:40 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,140,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Someone else who's allergic to dairy?? Me too and I used to love it. I get bloated and congested, tired and with a migraine. Never even guessed until finally an allergist tested me for foods.

A new dr has me on sauerkraut for probiotics and no grains at all for now. Lots of meat, eggs, fruits, and vegetables. Also digestive enzymes. It's no fun having all these allergies and as you said, the diet is plain and boring. But it keeps you alive and that means a lot.
Sauerkraut? That's a new one, to me. I'll have to check it out. Your diet sounds just like mine. I've taken the enzymes for years, too. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 AM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Sauerkraut? That's a new one, to me. I'll have to check it out. Your diet sounds just like mine. I've taken the enzymes for years, too. Thanks for the tip!
My doctor said it had to be "real" sauerkraut. I guess there is some cheap junk that doesn't do the trick so you have to spend the money and get something authentic from some place like Whole Foods. Or you can make your own pickled food.

Yeh, same boring diet. We should have a party together.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 AM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My doctor said it had to be "real" sauerkraut. I guess there is some cheap junk that doesn't do the trick so you have to spend the money and get something authentic from some place like Whole Foods. Or you can make your own pickled food.

Yeh, same boring diet. We should have a party together.
Does your doctor have M.D. after his name?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Yum, sauerkraut, I love it Only unpasteurized has the probiotics. The real fermented stuff.

most sauerkraut sold in grocery stores is pasteurized and therefore contains no live probiotics. - See more at: 10 {Store-Bought} Sources of Probiotics | Whistle Pig Hollow

Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,140,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yum, sauerkraut, I love it Only unpasteurized has the probiotics. The real fermented stuff.

most sauerkraut sold in grocery stores is pasteurized and therefore contains no live probiotics. - See more at: 10 {Store-Bought} Sources of Probiotics | Whistle Pig Hollow
Yes, it's been used medicinally for centuries. A Google search brings up all sorts of interesting information. CCc girl, I even used sauerkraut juice (the real thing) on a case of scratches on one of my horses, at my vet's suggestion. We couldn't get it to clear up using the conventional meds that the vets prescribe, so he thought we might as well give it a try. Cleared it right up!

I've never given it a thought for gut issues, but I read that it's been used for stomach ulcers (human) in Europe for a long time. Worth a try!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 AM

Man, do I want a kraut dog right about now.......

movinon, thanks for the tip. Fortunaltely my horses don't muck up too often, I can't remember the last time I used Icthamol....

NE folk, is this going to be another cold and wet summer? I'm considering making some cornbread because it's so cool, DH is whining that he's cold......

Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
My old Bohemian/Czech grandmother taught me how to cook sauerkraut.

In a large pot, fry half a large onion in Crisco until golden. Add a can of sauerkraut. Add a half can of water with a teaspoon of sugar mixed into the sc can. Dump into pot. Sprinkle some caraway seed into the pot and cook for an hour or so and then let sit for a while. Better if cooked the day before.

Yummy with pork roast and dumplings and a bottle of beer !

Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My old Bohemian/Czech grandmother taught me how to cook sauerkraut.

In a large pot, fry half a large onion in Crisco until golden. Add a can of sauerkraut. Add a half can of water with a teaspoon of sugar mixed into the sc can. Dump into pot. Sprinkle some caraway seed into the pot and cook for an hour or so and then let sit for a while. Better if cooked the day before.

Yummy with pork roast and dumplings and a bottle of beer !
That sounds delicious! Going to write that recipe down. I've always used the kraut that comes in a plastic bag.... what is difference between kraut in bag vs can?

Love it but don't dare to eat too much of it. Keeps me in the sitting room for a while.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Canned gooods are 'cooked' for preserving. Chances are the bag is fermented and needs to be kept fresh via refridgeration.

I will have to check next time I'm at the market, which might be today, yay! Our small 'country' market in the 'burg, Tops Family markets, actually has a few good deals this week. Euro cukes, celery and radish bunches all 1.25, 80% ground beef 2.99 a pound.

I need grain for the horses and it's on the way, and since we're moving I have minimal goods in the fridge.

I have some salmon, 'canned' pop biscuits and a pan of homemade cornbread in the oven. DH will like waking up to that.

That salmon was a steal, USA wild cought 5.99 a pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement