U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 05:33 PM

39 posts, read 31,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Last night about 9:30 I made a quick trip to the Walmart Neighborhood Mkt, which is just a mile away. I only had a few things in the cart. They opened a new lane, because there was only one open "regular" lane and the customer service lane. So I went over to the newly opened land and was unloading my groceries, and a younger lady, 40-ish, appears behind me in line, and starts helping me unload the gallons of milk and OJ and apple juice. I guess I must have looked tired, perhaps?? So my order gets rung up and I pay for it....and by golly, the sweet lady behind me comes around in front of me and proceeds to load all my groceries into my cart!! I did thank her, very nicely, and told her I would be paying it forward. So I am still wondering if perhaps I was just too slow or if she was in a big hurry, or if my shortness made me seem less capable? Anyway, I thought that was very nice, and I did really appreciate her help!!
Another thing I thought of, I did help elders (guilt is a great motivator) & now, folks help me, sometimes to an extent I don't need. sometimes I just want to browse & this darn Minnesota Nice prevents me from telling them that. But, I just answered my own question. When I want to browse, I'll just smile & say I'm browsing.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Last night about 9:30 I made a quick trip to the Walmart Neighborhood Mkt, which is just a mile away. I only had a few things in the cart. They opened a new lane, because there was only one open "regular" lane and the customer service lane. So I went over to the newly opened land and was unloading my groceries, and a younger lady, 40-ish, appears behind me in line, and starts helping me unload the gallons of milk and OJ and apple juice. I guess I must have looked tired, perhaps?? So my order gets rung up and I pay for it....and by golly, the sweet lady behind me comes around in front of me and proceeds to load all my groceries into my cart!! I did thank her, very nicely, and told her I would be paying it forward. So I am still wondering if perhaps I was just too slow or if she was in a big hurry, or if my shortness made me seem less capable? Anyway, I thought that was very nice, and I did really appreciate her help!!
I read this the other day but didn't have time to reply. Just wanted to say that I see this kind of thing fairly often in my store. Not so much the putting bagged things in the cart but unloading onto the belt/counter. It happens most often when the older person is using an electric cart and has quite a bit of 'stuff'. People are kind and helpful most of the time and I haven't see ANYONE get really upset or mad if that older person seems to take a long time to pay, etc.. Once in a while someone will, and I can ALWAYS see it in their face. I'll just look at them, give a little smile and shrug.

Maybe you got lucky and this nice lady was just wanting to help. It always does my heart good to see people do kind things for others. Especially the elderly. Not meaning YOU when I say "elderly". lol Just thinking of my particular customers.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'm not a NE folk just a Midwest one but it sure is looking like a cold, wet summer I'm so tired of being cold, and though the temps have been barely reaching the 70's the humidity here has stayed consistently above 50% for over a month! Yesterday was 63 degrees with 65% humidity. Everything has a damp feel and no we don't have a dehumidifier

Of course my brother doesn't feel the cold like I do and he won't let me turn on the furnace - dang he's got every window open and a dang fan running constantly in his bedroom. Can't wait until I can get the h e double hockey pucks out of here!
You definitely need to get out here soonest! Right now is my favorite time of year. It might be sunny or cloudy in the AM around here but you can count on it clouding up more and more as the day goes on. In the early afternoon, usually, it'll rain like crazy with or without lightning and thunder, or it'll wait till evening and let loose. Either way I look forward to it. Yes it's humid when it rains but afterwards it cools way down and the humidity actually drops. It goes up and down all the time unlike other places where it just stays "up" 24/7. I've lived with that and it's pretty much miserable. We had a good rain about an hour ago, and short rain about 1 PM, but had a real storm yesterday. I have both front and back doors open and a decent coolish breeze is wafting through. Feels nice after the triple digits all last week. This time of year there is always 'some' humidity but only just enough to notice if you know how dry our "dry" feels otherwise. Oh, and the monsoons make our Valley a beautiful place to be/live too. The desert and mountains will be soooo green.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Default One more reason I like Walmart...

July 2nd was my 5th anniversary at Walmart. Didn't ever imagine myself being there this long but am glad that I am. Last week I got a Happy Anniversary card signed by all the management. That's not unusual because we get them for Christmas and our Birthdays too. Also nice Christmas presents. Anyway, one of the HR gals told me I need to come to the office because they also have a plaque, a five year pin and a new name badge for me. Now how many companies do that for employees? I've never worked for one before. They do this every five years. We have some employees who've been there almost since day one and have nearly 30 years in. I wonder what they do for them?? lol I've never asked. Oh yes, and my raise went into affect July 2nd as well and it's "more than usual" so yay for me! AND I got a really good quarterly bonus this time.

Do I love Walmart?? I think so....

Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
July 2nd was my 5th anniversary at Walmart. Didn't ever imagine myself being there this long but am glad that I am. Last week I got a Happy Anniversary card signed by all the management. That's not unusual because we get them for Christmas and our Birthdays too. Also nice Christmas presents. Anyway, one of the HR gals told me I need to come to the office because they also have a plaque, a five year pin and a new name badge for me. Now how many companies do that for employees? I've never worked for one before. They do this every five years. We have some employees who've been there almost since day one and have nearly 30 years in. I wonder what they do for them?? lol I've never asked. Oh yes, and my raise went into affect July 2nd as well and it's "more than usual" so yay for me! AND I got a really good quarterly bonus this time.

Do I love Walmart?? I think so....
AZDesertBrat, in a couple of weeks it's my 3 year year anniversary as a "kampus kop" (that's my unofficial nick-name that many friends call me!) at the University of Pennsylvania. I never imagined someday I'd be wearing a uniform and a badge and be a patrolman and safety officer. I never dreamed college students would run up to me and say "Officer Clark! Two frat boys are fighting in front of the Wharton School of Business!" or "Officer, is it legal for me to park here?" (As if I'm with the Parking Authority!)

Safety Officer or no, I do not fit the stereotype. I'm actually a "sensitive" and "artistic" type of guy (nudge nudge wink wink). When I put on the uniform I have to change my persona ... have to "butch up my act" ... it's a macho job and I have to look and act the part. Almost none of my fellow officers know about my private life.

But I love the job. The pay is not so great, but the benefits are terrific! Retirement? In 3 - 5 years.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:18 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
AZDesertBrat, in a couple of weeks it's my 3 year year anniversary as a "kampus kop" (that's my unofficial nick-name that many friends call me!) at the University of Pennsylvania. I never imagined someday I'd be wearing a uniform and a badge and be a patrolman and safety officer. I never dreamed college students would run up to me and say "Officer Clark! Two frat boys are fighting in front of the Wharton School of Business!" or "Officer, is it legal for me to park here?" (As if I'm with the Parking Authority!)

Safety Officer or no, I do not fit the stereotype. I'm actually a "sensitive" and "artistic" type of guy (nudge nudge wink wink). When I put on the uniform I have to change my persona ... have to "butch up my act" ... it's a macho job and I have to look and act the part. Almost none of my fellow officers know about my private life.

But I love the job. The pay is not so great, but the benefits are terrific! Retirement? In 3 - 5 years.
What kind of weaponry do you carry? Please be specific and describe your ammo in detail as well as your guns. Be sure to tell us the what and why of your backup gun or guns because that's the kind that old folks carry.

Do you carry a Taser or pepper spray? Blackjack, knucks, sap gloves?

Old 07-05-2015, 06:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Hollyhock, that's a sweet story. I think I would have freaked out if someone began touching my things on a checkout lane. Yikes, am I OCD??

Clark, I'm sure the students are drawn to your inner gentler self. Don't be so quick to think how you think you 'have' to act in fromt of people. You are an intelligent, cultured, worldly well groomed handsome individual who takes pride in the University and city. That aura projects without any effort on your part.

LOL HiW, I doubt if Officer Clark is packing any heat in the big metropolis of Philly. I could definitely see you riding with shotgun on patrol out there in Cody.

Life is good, NY2gal. I know you think the cupboard is a little bare, but you are blessed.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:02 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You definitely need to get out here soonest! Right now is my favorite time of year. It might be sunny or cloudy in the AM around here but you can count on it clouding up more and more as the day goes on. In the early afternoon, usually, it'll rain like crazy with or without lightning and thunder, or it'll wait till evening and let loose. Either way I look forward to it. Yes it's humid when it rains but afterwards it cools way down and the humidity actually drops. It goes up and down all the time unlike other places where it just stays "up" 24/7. I've lived with that and it's pretty much miserable. We had a good rain about an hour ago, and short rain about 1 PM, but had a real storm yesterday. I have both front and back doors open and a decent coolish breeze is wafting through. Feels nice after the triple digits all last week. This time of year there is always 'some' humidity but only just enough to notice if you know how dry our "dry" feels otherwise. Oh, and the monsoons make our Valley a beautiful place to be/live too. The desert and mountains will be soooo green.
Sorry couldn't rep again - still need to spread some

I'll be out as soon as I can! The waiting is driving me a bit nutso! Daughter needs me to dog sit twice this month so I'll at least get out of this place for a bit

It finally reached the 80's yesterday and, for the first time in ages, the humidity was below 50% - it was 49%

Reading your post made my eyes turn green with envy!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Two very old people are in their rocking chairs on the porch of the nursing home. They are rocking, rocking. Finally one of them says to the other, "Say, what is your name?". There is no immediate response and they continue rocking, rocking. After a time comes the answer: "How soon do you need to know?"

Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL HiW, I doubt if Officer Clark is packing any heat in the big metropolis of Philly. I could definitely see you riding with shotgun on patrol out there in Cody.
Large private universities have real police departments with general powere of arrest. We had one at the University of Chicago when the enrollment was only a bit over six thousnd; it's still very much a police department today.. Northwestern has long had a police department as well. They certainly carry guns, arrest people, and occasionally kill people. There are criminals in our society.

I don't believe that ''Officer Clark'' and his fellows would have much succcess if they just politely asked criminals to please be good, then gave them ice cream when they promised. I bet the police even carry guns where you live.

I don't believe n calling 911; I let the coyotes, bears, and mice have them afterwards.

Policing at Penn | The University of Pennsylvania

University Of Penn Police
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement