Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times

Advertisements

Oh, yes, I know. I haven't been on the U of Miami campus in awhile but I know security is high gear there. I never thought of our cultured Clark wielding a hogleg......

"Out here I am 9-1-1.' -Phil Robertson

Honestly, HiW, I'm surprised you're not teaching at a U somewhere, all that knowledge.....

Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Oh, yes, I know. I haven't been on the U of Miami campus in awhile but I know security is high gear there. I never thought of our cultured Clark wielding a hogleg......

"Out here I am 9-1-1.' -Phil Robertson

Honestly, HiW, I'm surprised you're not teaching at a U somewhere, all that knowledge.....
Our cultured Clark is a man of courage. I just hope that he's not eating too many doughnuts. I prefer jelly-filled which are called Bismarks in the Midwest.

Many have wondered why I'm not an academic. I'm one of them. I can't imagine myself as a cop, however, but definitely a vigilante.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 PM

I don't believe Clark would sink so low, however, if there were a beignet or bagel with lox and cream cheese to be had he might not write that ticket.....just kidding OC.

'I can't imagine myself as a cop, however, but definitely a vigilante.'

^^^So, a sheriff or ranger, then....

Seriously, they should teach self sufficiency and preparedness in the schools. I know of very few under thirty somethings that could not survive without a smartphone. Can you Google how to start a campfire or sleeping in the woods with frostbitten fingers?

Old 07-05-2015, 05:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
AZDesertBrat, in a couple of weeks it's my 3 year year anniversary as a "kampus kop" (that's my unofficial nick-name that many friends call me!) at the University of Pennsylvania. I never imagined someday I'd be wearing a uniform and a badge and be a patrolman and safety officer. I never dreamed college students would run up to me and say "Officer Clark! Two frat boys are fighting in front of the Wharton School of Business!" or "Officer, is it legal for me to park here?" (As if I'm with the Parking Authority!)

Safety Officer or no, I do not fit the stereotype. I'm actually a "sensitive" and "artistic" type of guy (nudge nudge wink wink). When I put on the uniform I have to change my persona ... have to "butch up my act" ... it's a macho job and I have to look and act the part. Almost none of my fellow officers know about my private life.

But I love the job. The pay is not so great, but the benefits are terrific! Retirement? In 3 - 5 years.
I know where you are coming from with the "macho" thing but I find it sad that you feel you have to do that. You are you and shouldn't have to "act like" something else. Stereotypes need to be dumped, IMO, because they do nobody any good. All are individuals and should be respected as such.

I work with a great many people and none of them know anything much about my private life either. Not that there's anything to hide, or even that it's so great, but I just don't talk about 'stuff'. They DO know about my house and my trials with all I'm doing to it but that's about it. If you asked any of them how many kids I have, etc. nobody would be able to say. Even after five years of knowing me.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:36 PM

AZDB I forgot to congrat you on your anniv at work, congrats and thank you for letting us see the good side of an otherwise evil percieved company

Old 07-05-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Sorry couldn't rep again - still need to spread some

I'll be out as soon as I can! The waiting is driving me a bit nutso! Daughter needs me to dog sit twice this month so I'll at least get out of this place for a bit

It finally reached the 80's yesterday and, for the first time in ages, the humidity was below 50% - it was 49%

Reading your post made my eyes turn green with envy!
How much longer do you think? I read so much here, from so many people, I can't remember all that's been said! lol You will like it here, I think.

Watched the fireworks last night and they were fantastic as usual. I have the MOST perfect viewing spot too. My couch in front of my large east facing window! They do this at the fairgrounds, which isn't that far from my house, and my house is up higher than where I lived before...which was also perfect viewing...except I could see the lower ones better here. It had been raining pretty good not 15 minutes before they started so I really wondered if they would! They did!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
AZDB I forgot to congrat you on your anniv at work, congrats and thank you for letting us see the good side of an otherwise evil percieved company
Thanks! "Perceived" is the operative word here. People hear things, accept them as fact and spread them around. All they have to do is ask a Walmart employee and they'll tell them. Well, unless they are a 'disgruntled' one and we do get those sometimes. So much rumor and myth going around but I guess that's what you get when you get that 'big'.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:46 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Thanks! "Perceived" is the operative word here. People hear things, accept them as fact and spread them around. All they have to do is ask a Walmart employee and they'll tell them. Well, unless they are a 'disgruntled' one and we do get those sometimes. So much rumor and myth going around but I guess that's what you get when you get that 'big'.
What is their age limit for hiring? I might have to get serious about a job.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
What is their age limit for hiring? I might have to get serious about a job.
I don't think there is one! lol One of our greeters just turned 90. When I started there we had a retired teacher who was nearly 90. We have quite a few people from 60 to 90 in our store. And most have been there quite a while. I was 68 when they hired me. The lady who works one of our self checkouts is in her early 80s. She does that because she can't really lift heavy things and she's not all that fast on a register. She gets to stay at self checkout because her doc told them she 'has to'. The rest of us get moved around from register to register all day. But there are LOTS of jobs in a store where you can be slower and work at your own pace. Many different depts. to choose from.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't think there is one! lol One of our greeters just turned 90. When I started there we had a retired teacher who was nearly 90. We have quite a few people from 60 to 90 in our store. And most have been there quite a while. I was 68 when they hired me. The lady who works one of our self checkouts is in her early 80s. She does that because she can't really lift heavy things and she's not all that fast on a register. She gets to stay at self checkout because her doc told them she 'has to'. The rest of us get moved around from register to register all day. But there are LOTS of jobs in a store where you can be slower and work at your own pace. Many different depts. to choose from.
Thank you!! I realize (after a rather awful pity party yesterday) that if I want to improve my situation I'm going to have to actually DO something.

You are my inspiration AZDesertBrat. I'm going over to the local store tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement