Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 03:27 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times

Advertisements

That IS a great idea. I've decided to get healthier & although I do eat healthy, I'm incorporating smoothies. Just bought a great book, Green Smoothie Magic which has 132 recipes along with a well written forward explaining the why's & benefits of smoothies. Some include parsley & mint, which I could grow on the windowsill in one of those cute containers.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,361,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Lately I've been seeing a lot of daylilies in people's gardens, front plantings, city parks, and public green spaces. Not just the more common tall orange ones we saw as kids growing wild on country roads that we (erroneously) called "tiger lilies" or the now commonplace short yellow prolific bloomers called "Stella d'Oro" but other varieties as well - reddish ones, purple ones, and some very large flowered ones a gorgeous shade of salmon pink.

For many years there was a huge tree in my backyard - not as old as the house, which is 120 years old - but about 50' to 60' feet tall and more than 75 years old I think. It was an American or Green Ash tree (Fraxinus Pennsylvanica) - a common shade tree in this area. The tree died about 3 or 4 years ago. I waited a year to see if it was really dead. It was dead. No leaves appeared for a second year and then it started shedding bark. It was very expensive to cut down. When the tree was there my backyard was very shady. Now it's gone the yard is drenched in sunlight. On one border I thought it was a tall ornamental grass growing there ... but with the sunlight it proved to be daylilies which have been blooming continuously since the beginning of June.
Just down the road from me is a place that has hundreds of daylilies in so many colors and right now almost all of them are in bloom and it is a wonderful sight to see.

Wildwood Farms General Store - Home

Old 07-12-2015, 03:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have a topic to talk about that may not fit in chat and trust that someone will let me know. It is also a topic that may draw a lot of flack. But it is really important to me and I need to hear what others have to say about it.

I was born in 1942, certainly did not understand anything about the brutality going on in Europe at that time, but do recall a little about rations, black-outs, nylon stockings, etc. Funny how the mind can hang onto things remembered from such a young age.

But I am noticing an awful lot of casual use of the word "nazi". I gasp when I hear people calling someone that, or some variation thereof... soup nazi, etc. How did we get from the reign of terror that existed then to now when it's just another slang word? People may say oh it's just a word. But is it? How do we change the meaning from terror to joke? Why are we forgetting what it meant?

Oh, I'm sure there will be some who will tell me to lighten up. But this is something I can't lighten up about. I am not Jewish and I never lived over there. No one in my family fought the war. But I feel a deep compassion for those who suffered at the hands of Hitler and his cronies.

Opinions?
Embedded in language are connotations, no matter how hard we try to "get over" those connotations. There are a number of words formerly used freely (both in and out of original context) that are now no longer used, as they're racist or aimed at religions or physical inabilities, etc. There will always be those who'll say it's just said in a lighthearted/offhanded way, but especially with the young we may want to think twice. Again, many will disagree with you and label you as having to be "politically correct." Be prepared for that.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:02 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,098,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Embedded in language are connotations, no matter how hard we try to "get over" those connotations. There are a number of words formerly used freely (both in and out of original context) that are now no longer used, as they're racist or aimed at religions or physical inabilities, etc. There will always be those who'll say it's just said in a lighthearted/offhanded way, but especially with the young we may want to think twice. Again, many will disagree with you and label you as having to be "politically correct." Be prepared for that.
I have gotten a few rather nasty comments from some. I am guessing much younger. I've been told before I am "too sensitive" and that could be true. And truthfully it has only been in older age that I have been repelled by this language. I may have watched too many documentaries.

Also, remembering the guy in Iran who claimed it was all a "fairy tale." Sad, so very sad.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:14 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
Quote:
Clark Park: Thank you for that post! It was interesting to me. I love flowers, trees, etc. I am in a one-bedroom apartment with a balcony that gets almost no sun. I am wondering what flowers/greenery I can put out there that will survive the lack of sunlight. Ideas? (I've gone the plastic fake route, prefer the real).

I also saw a fairy garden and fell in love with it, so cute. I am thinking of making one but can't afford pricey containers or plants. Suggestions?
You can google "shade tolerant flowering plants."

Hostas are usually grown for their foliage - which comes in dozens of varieties - but in the late summer they do send up spires of pretty flowers in shades of lavender and white. Another fool proof shade loving flowering plant is impatiens - they come is many colors and do well in shady places. Begonias seem to do well in semi-shady spots - one variety I had success with is the Angel Wing Begonias with elegent small red flowers.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Just down the road from me is a place that has hundreds of daylilies in so many colors and right now almost all of them are in bloom and it is a wonderful sight to see.

Thank you so much for sharing that. Beautiful!

Old 07-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Also, remembering the guy in Iran who claimed it was all a "fairy tale." Sad, so very sad.
I think you're referring to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - the former president (?) or prime minister (?) of Iran. What a perfectly repulsive and contemptible moron that guy is. He's the same guy who claimed there are no gay people in Iran.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

Wow!

I wish that place was just a wee bit closer to where I live.

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,995,393 times
My sister and I were in Floyd on Tuesday property hunting. We passed by the Wildwood Farms Store and saw those. Just beautiful. They were so pretty we had to go back by just to look again!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
To poster NYgal2NC: Several years ago, did you used to post on City-Data under the user name Imcurious? Just curious (pun intended, but question serious).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.