U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 10:08 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You have my condolences.

I lucked out this year. I arrived in NH a few weeks ago and have been staying in "my" cottage on the lake since then. I'm enjoying the weather as well as the visit with my NH son and his family. I've no plans to return to Baltimore until the dog days of summer are gone. Life is good.

Sounds really nice - lucky you.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Real hot here too, and humid, but given the alternative so happy to have it. Took the twins to see the horses in the stables. They know most of them by name, Poncho, Regan, Rain, Robert, etc. We brought a big bag of carrots to feed them and then sat under an apple tree to feel the breezes. It's been a great summer so far. Beach at the end of this month.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
For those of you contemplating surgery on hip or knee or other:

Surgeons Scorecard as seen on Morning Show Today is a great website to see how much experience a particular surgeon has had and whether their past surgeries were without complications. My hip surgeon had 2+% complications which is pretty low for the 149 hip replacements he did. Just another way to look up a physician's score, if you have Medicare.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:54 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
We had serious rain in San DIego - in July!!! This *never* happens!!! (It's left us muggier than New Orleans, though. I hope that goes away soon.)

It'll help top our our groundwater stores, and add some to the reservoirs. Won't go far to ameliorate the drought, though. For that we need the Sierra snowpack to build up.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:51 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
We've had a lot of rain & tornados. It was muggy but now there's a nice cool breeze. Delightful day.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It's hot here.

HOT!

Yesterday was in the '90's ... but "real feel" over 100. Heat advisory warnings. Stayed a good part of the day in my air-conditioned bedroom.
Same here, high 80s! Won't last, though. Holding off on cooking, running dishwasher, laundry to keep heat out of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
It's 75 here on our mountain. But will get into the 80's. Was in the 60's last night. Only 20% chance of rain-but if it does rain -it will drop the temperature back into the 70's again.

We are loving our retirement in Asheville.
Happy for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Can I get them for my 70th in a few years?
Hit them up on facebook, wouldn't that make a great video, crashing older folks' bd parties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

I lucked out this year. I arrived in NH a few weeks ago and have been staying in "my" cottage on the lake since then. I'm enjoying the weather as well as the visit with my NH son and his family. I've no plans to return to Baltimore until the dog days of summer are gone. Life is good.
Enjoy, girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Real hot here too, and humid, but given the alternative so happy to have it. Took the twins to see the horses in the stables. They know most of them by name, Poncho, Regan, Rain, Robert, etc. We brought a big bag of carrots to feed them and then sat under an apple tree to feel the breezes. It's been a great summer so far. Beach at the end of this month.
ditto, enjoy those grandies, negirl. Any luck on a crib donor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
For those of you contemplating surgery on hip or knee or other:

Surgeons Scorecard as seen on Morning Show Today is a great website to see how much experience a particular surgeon has had and whether their past surgeries were without complications. My hip surgeon had 2+% complications which is pretty low for the 149 hip replacements he did. Just another way to look up a physician's score, if you have Medicare.
Thx Barb, good to know!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We had serious rain in San DIego - in July!!! This *never* happens!!! (It's left us muggier than New Orleans, though. I hope that goes away soon.)

It'll help top our our groundwater stores, and add some to the reservoirs. Won't go far to ameliorate the drought, though. For that we need the Sierra snowpack to build up.
You all so need rain out there, yikes, the fires, scary!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
We've had a lot of rain & tornados. It was muggy but now there's a nice cool breeze. Delightful day.
Your weather comes to us, meo, looking forward to the next cool front!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

The kids picked up the car today. UHaul was a real cluftersuck. They didn't have the trailer available at their location. Had to drive to the next town to another UHaul.

They did not know anything about it. Then when they tried to tell the computer what vehicles were towing and being towed it repeatedly said not acceptible.

Their software does not have a C3500 dually option so it kept bleeping it back. The owner fudged things, made us initial a waiver and finally got us a trailer.

This was propbably a Godsend b/c the other place might have sent us off with no trailer, not knowing how to lie to the computer.

Then we find out the ball size is different. SIL didn't have one, one of his buddies borrowed it out of his truck. So, off to Wmart for a new bar, ball and 7 to four adapter. 60 bucks later we hooked up and left. This took over an hour!

It's finally gone, SIL has new hitch bar with three different ball sizes so he will never have this problem again, and we finally got to meet new SIL. It's been ten years since DD saw us.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Played my first game of pool tonight, at a pub after several dark beers. I won only b/c partner let his 8 ball fly into the hole too soon. I'll get the hang of it, it's my new Monday night sport, no impact. Reminds me I want to see The Hustler again, such a great movie.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
I just ran down to the store for banana chips and dr pepper. The man behind the counter made me laugh as I checked out and I was still laughing when I left. I met a salesman on the walk outside the store and he looked at me like I was crazy and that made me laugh

make someone laugh today!

boogie'smom

Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 PM

LOL are you guys stoned just kidding! negirl a pool shark and newcomp with the munchies..........too funny!

Someone flamed me for this post, IDK....................Someone give me a reason to keep going. Just find me a reason.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:23 PM

boogie'smom, lost your password???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement