Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

^^^+1 More corned beef good memories, please......

I remember back in the early days of my automotive career as a parts driver, the best thing about St. Paddy's Day was the day after, there was an old time diner that would serve CB&C sandwiches; yep, the whole mess of corned beef, cabbage and potato on rye with mustard to go. Try eating that driving a Nissan D21 with a manual trans on I95

Old 08-18-2015, 02:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I looked it up. Lutefisk. It is awful but my mom loved it.
Disgusting stuff. My grandmother would make it. We lived 3 blocks from her when I was young and could smell her cooking when we opened our front door. The smell was so bad I refused to eat it.

Maybe I'm part Irish - love corned beef & cabbage.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Umbria, it's possible you are Irish. I didn't find out that my maiden name is Swiss into I was in my late twenties. Unfortunately both grandparents, as well as my dad, were deceased by then. No idea where the Swiss came from. On Gramma' s side, the courthouse where her grandparents were in Pennsylvania burned down. Have you ever tried to find a John Kelly or some other common name when there are no records? I think it's going to be a mystery all my life.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
For some reason there is a different kind of corned beef ... the Jewish or kosher corned beef that's served on rye bread in Jewish delis. Tastes nothing like Irish corned beef. Kosher corned beef is mostly served as a sandwich meat and can be combined with kosher pastrami with spicy brown deli mustard on seeded rye. It's delicious. A famous sandwich is a combination of corned beef, pastrami, cole slaw and "Russian dressing" (similar to "Thousand Island" dressing) on rye. A kosher dill pickle on the side completes the plate.

In New York the most famous delis include Katz's Delicatessen (When Harry Met Sally was filmed there), 2nd Avenue Deli (no longer on 2nd Ave.), and the Carnegie Deli. In Philly there's Schlesinger's (formally The Kibitz Room), Famous 4th Street Deli, Rachael's Nosherai, and Herschel's in Reading Terminal Market. Baltimore boasts one of the greatest of them all: Attman's on Lombard Street.

Yes, I'm a great fan of deli sandwiches.

Growing up near Miami we had Pumpernick's, Wolfie's, Corky's (in North Miami Beach, they had the BEST potato latkes!) and The Rascal House. I wonder if any of these places still exist?

It's an East Coast thing. If you've never tried it, you might want to.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Umbria, it's possible you are Irish. I didn't find out that my maiden name is Swiss into I was in my late twenties. Unfortunately both grandparents, as well as my dad, were deceased by then. No idea where the Swiss came from. On Gramma' s side, the courthouse where her grandparents were in Pennsylvania burned down. Have you ever tried to find a John Kelly or some other common name when there are no records? I think it's going to be a mystery all my life.

Have you tried doing the family tree thing? If you only have a name like John Kelly, then you are probably out of luck with that, but if you have a birth date, birth place, something like that, maybe you would have some luck.

My maiden name is Smith..... hahahahaha My father was born in England, but not sure exactly where. Nobody to ask, everyone gone.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
For some reason there is a different kind of corned beef ... the Jewish or kosher corned beef that's served on rye bread in Jewish delis. Tastes nothing like Irish corned beef. Kosher corned beef is mostly served as a sandwich meat and can be combined with kosher pastrami with spicy brown deli mustard on seeded rye. It's delicious. A famous sandwich is a combination of corned beef, pastrami, cole slaw and "Russian dressing" (similar to "Thousand Island" dressing) on rye. A kosher dill pickle on the side completes the plate.

In New York the most famous delis include Katz's Delicatessen (When Harry Met Sally was filmed there), 2nd Avenue Deli (no longer on 2nd Ave.), and the Carnegie Deli. In Philly there's Schlesinger's (formally The Kibitz Room), Famous 4th Street Deli, Rachael's Nosherai, and Herschel's in Reading Terminal Market. Baltimore boasts one of the greatest of them all: Attman's on Lombard Street.

Growing up near Miami we had Pumpernick's, Wolfie's, Corky's (in North Miami Beach, they had the BEST potato latkes!) and The Rascal House. I wonder if any of these places still exist?

Wasn't there a corned beef sold in a can, too? Long time ago. For sandwiches.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:52 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, no.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Unfortunately, no.
Thanks for the memories...it's been awhile but it's a Chicago thing as well. Great food for many years and still great!

Manny's Cafeteria & Delicatessen
Chicago since 1942

https://mannysdeli.com/

Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Nygal, my sister is really into that. We can easily trace mom's history, outside of the fact that we have, however far back, our great grandfather or great-great' s immigration papers from Ellis Island. But dad's is at a standstill. No clue who came over when &/or how/when they got here.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Y'all are killing me talking about corned beef and cabbage and deli sandwiches. Since moving to Texas, just about all there is here are Mexican restaurants, BBQ restaurants and the chains. The Mexican and BBQ restaurants serve delicious food for this region, but I miss food I used to be able to get when I lived in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement