U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
When someone changes their SN, all of their previous posts are automatically changed from the old SN to the new SN. The only exception is when a post has been quoted by someone else. That quote remains under the old SN.
'Tis a puzzlement! Thanks for the info. It almost seems to make some sort of sense.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps the same RiverBird who posted these in Chat in 2011? If so, not a new screen name by any means.
I would not have been allowed that name if it were already taken.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Just a heads up but that thread about retirees and their Medicare plans got moved to the Medicare Forum up in Health and Wellness. There are questions waiting to be answered that were addressed to people here. (I didn't move the thread, I wish it could have stayed here.) At least we have a clickable link to that forum.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We always go to an Irish pub on St Paddy's Day for corned beef and garbage. (We always called it corned beef and garbage, lol.)

But the best memory of it is the winter dh and I were sick all.winter.long. Both of us could barely eat. By March 17th he dragged himself into the kitchen and made corned beef and cabbage. Nothing has ever tasted so good--and it was so nourishing that we got well.
My biggest nightmare as a kid was when my mother, a poor cook, made corned beef. I tried to work OT at the library when I knew she was making it so I could come home late and make a quick supper like cereal. As for boiled cabbage, no way.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:20 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Back on the subject of restaurants ...

This past weekend I was in the "Pennsylvania Dutch Region" (aka Amish Region) in Lebanon and Lancaster Counties. It was hot, but the countryside was beautiful. Yes, as always I saw of lot of the "Plain Folk" in their horse and buggies.

Now just east of the city of Lancaster has a huge Discount Outlet Shopping district with several large outdoor outlet malls, surrounded by hundreds of acres of parking, shuttle buses, stand alone stores and so on. Parking was difficult ... hundreds of cars circling around looking for parking spaces, sores of families carrying large shopping bags ...

You would think they were giving away stuff free!

An uninformed foreign visitor would surmise the economy was booming with so much frantic shopping going on.

What both amazed and annoyed me was as early as 5:30 PM the crowds forming lines - outside in the heat! - to get into mediocre mega chain restaurants: Appleby's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Outback, Carrabba's, California Pizza Grill, Texas Roadhouse, Bonefish Grill, etc. These places are not cheap, and are quite frankly MEDIOCRE! They must be unaware that there are some good unpretentious and reasonably priced Amish owned restaurants in the area where the food is both plentiful and great. Sometimes they appear like ordinary diners. Shoo-Fly Pie, anyone?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:41 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Back on the subject of restaurants ...

This past weekend I was in the "Pennsylvania Dutch Region" (aka Amish Region) in Lebanon and Lancaster Counties. It was hot, but the countryside was beautiful. Yes, as always I saw of lot of the "Plain Folk" in their horse and buggies.

Now just east of the city of Lancaster has a huge Discount Outlet Shopping district with several large outdoor outlet malls, surrounded by hundreds of acres of parking, shuttle buses, stand alone stores and so on. Parking was difficult ... hundreds of cars circling around looking for parking spaces, sores of families carrying large shopping bags ...

You would think they were giving away stuff free!

An uninformed foreign visitor would surmise the economy was booming with so much frantic shopping going on.

What both amazed and annoyed me was as early as 5:30 PM the crowds forming lines - outside in the heat! - to get into mediocre mega chain restaurants: Appleby's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Outback, Carrabba's, California Pizza Grill, Texas Roadhouse, Bonefish Grill, etc. These places are not cheap, and are quite frankly MEDIOCRE! They must be unaware that there are some good unpretentious and reasonably priced Amish owned restaurants in the area where the food is both plentiful and great. Sometimes they appear like ordinary diners. Shoo-Fly Pie, anyone?
You've struck one of my pet peeves. Those junky, overpriced boring chains. The only one I ever bothered with was Applebee's and that was a long time ago. There are so many good places that have real food and they are independently owned. We need to support them or these chain places will take over.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Like walmart took over all across the country? Yup, mom & pop restaurants will go by the wayside unless WE give them grades on the internet. Whatever vehicle you use, let people know about those places. You know it will spread like wild fires.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
A new question, does anyone know recipes or drinks that includes Amaretto? I had a recipe that called for 2 Tbls but the liquor store only had a one liter bottle. I bought it because I remembered having it years ago. I'll do a search, but do want to know if there are any recipes my favorite people make.
Ooops, does this belong in food & drinks? If so, please move it. Thank you.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:03 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A new question, does anyone know recipes or drinks that includes Amaretto? I had a recipe that called for 2 Tbls but the liquor store only had a one liter bottle. I bought it because I remembered having it years ago. I'll do a search, but do want to know if there are any recipes my favorite people make.

Drink Ingredients...
Amaretto
Ice

Jut when we thought it was safe to put the garbage out again, a bear bent a neighbor's chain link fence getting after theirs.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Anything and everything is appropriate in the Chat Thread. Now, had you started a new thread to ask this question with some B.S. comment about wanting to know how seniors drink Amaretto, then it possibly could have been moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement