U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM

22,606 posts, read 12,471,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

... It makes me mad, too, that they are going to build a 120-unit apt. building on that site. Is it included in any sort of historic district? I thought if it is in an official district they can't do that. It seems money & power talk. 120-units on a fairly small piece of land sounds like they will have to build up, OH - I see -- 6 stories -- and a higher building may cause some shade issues for the neighbors, as well as possible parking issues. I hope everything does go well with the new project. I like the others, consider it a loss.
Too late. Demolition was completed yesterday. There is now a pile of rubble were a proud mansion once stood for nearly 165 years.

My neighborhood is in fact in the National Register of Historic Districts. Doesn't mean squat. The National Register is only a list. It was not listed on the City List, and only structures on the City List have full protection from demolition.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,367,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Can we have pets? Fred the foul mouthed parrot has to come.

How about the cockatoo who is crazy about Elvis??

Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,466,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
"Clothing Optional Day" could be every Hallowe'en. That way we scare all the kiddies away and keep all the candy for ourselves.
Every other day would be clothing mandatory.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Any medical people participate in Chat? Had a chest x-ray today because I've been feeling pretty rotten and have a little pain in middle of chest. EKG came out fine. X-ray shows chronic interstitial markings in both lungs. Both of my sisters had/have lung cancer. One died 1999 and my other is dying from it now. So kind of worried. I'm going to have a chest CT soon. I looked it up online but there's more information there than I can digest.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 PM

6,178 posts, read 9,231,808 times
Hi NYgal: This is a hard thing to describe since it can be due to so many different things. It's kind of a honeycomb lung thing that develops around the air spaces and can be caused by drugs (such as statins, or antibiotics) or the air you breathe such as asbestos, silicosis, or other abnormal stuff that should not be in the air. It's most important to rule out the reasons (diagnoses) for this in your case, which they are doing with a CT scan. You will know more after the scan so try to be positive (I know, it's hard) and think good thoughts. Let us know what happens , ok? I, myself, have lung nodules which scared the bejesus out of me when I found out, but it turned out to be nothing. Barb

Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM

10,842 posts, read 8,187,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It's kind of a honeycomb lung thing that develops around the air spaces and can be caused by drugs (such as statins, or antibiotics)
That's scary.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 AM

6,178 posts, read 9,231,808 times
Yes, but it can be caused by a multitude of other things, so is not well defined in finding out the reason for having this. Cancer can also be included here, but is only one of several things, like the drugs, or the polluted air, or some hormonal imbalance, etc etc. A cat scan is the best next step.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:43 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,216,167 times
On a different note, word has gotten out that I am moving from San Francisco next year. I currently have my fourth set of visitors this year. I have 2 more sets to go and then I'm closing down my "B&B" to get ready for my move. Love having visitors, but after November if they want to visit me they will need to get a hotel.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
On a different note, word has gotten out that I am moving from San Francisco next year. I currently have my fourth set of visitors this year. I have 2 more sets to go and then I'm closing down my "B&B" to get ready for my move. Love having visitors, but after November if they want to visit me they will need to get a hotel.

I have a niece in FL who has a very big house and since they have moved there a few years ago they have had constant visitors. They are going to sell their house soon and get a much smaller one. Can't say as I blame them.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 PM

2,513 posts, read 1,736,933 times
This evening was one of those rare, unexpected perfect ones. We went sailing on the Hudson and a nice westerly wind let us sail up and back with no tacking. I had packed dinner and we had a cup of coffee after which was nice as the temp was 68 and felt cooler with the stiff breeze. We came in after the sunset and nightfall. The full moon is two days away and it was never very dark. No noise other than the slap of lines, an occasional boat passing by and the sound of seagulls and geese; our idea of a good time.

Chat Thread-image.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement