Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I don't wake up easily these days and am starting my morning later and later. I know this is counterintuitive to retirement, but I'm trying to find, online, a small digital alarm clock with a really gentle wakeup sound...like a soft ding or a light gong... I do not want the nerve shattering kind of sound that jolts you out of a deep sleep and makes you put a pillow over your head. Does anyone have a suggestion, thanks.

I have a medication alarm that I got from amazon for less than $5. I hate loud piercing noises. This is perfect and easy to shut off.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
I don't wake up easily these days and am starting my morning later and later. I know this is counterintuitive to retirement, but I'm trying to find, online, a small digital alarm clock with a really gentle wakeup sound...like a soft ding or a light gong... I do not want the nerve shattering kind of sound that jolts you out of a deep sleep and makes you put a pillow over your head. Does anyone have a suggestion, thanks.
Google: Zen Alarm Clocks.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Quote:
If you have a "smart phone", try the alarm that's built in to most. You can set your wake-up sound to suit your taste.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
I picked one up at Target that runs on batteries -Crosley - about 4"round, bronze color, soft bell. Less than $20 - I like it - it travels.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:06 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Get a small clock radio, set it on soft, relaxing...instrumentals?...music to wake you up. I used to do that till my radio got broken and I just haven't bought another one. Luckily we have a local radio station that plays nothing but that kind of music.

I wish I could sleep later in the mornings. Especially on my days off. Most of my work days seem to be 7 AM to 3 PM most of the time these days so I am up at 5 AM most days. I usually wake up before the alarm goes off so don't have to listen to the annoying thing. Days off I might 'sleep in' till 5:30. I think 7 AM would be ideal! It doesn't matter what time I go to bed either. The good thing about it lately has been being able to get started on big projects early in the day before it gets unholy hot. Like painting...

Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I have a medication alarm that I got from amazon for less than $5. I hate loud piercing noises. This is perfect and easy to shut off.
What is the sound like?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
RiverBed: I have a flip phone that has an alarm in its settings. You can choose the sound you want and the volume. I prefer it to a regular alarm clock. With clock radios I usually hit snooze too many times, but don't seem to do that with my phone alarm.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Get a small clock radio, set it on soft, relaxing...instrumentals?...music to wake you up. I used to do that till my radio got broken and I just haven't bought another one. Luckily we have a local radio station that plays nothing but that kind of music.
All I would get on a radio at that hour would be the news. What a depressing way to wake up, lol.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
RBird, do you have pets? Easiest alarm clock ever. Nobody sleeps past nine in this house. LOL

Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
RBird, do you have pets? Easiest alarm clock ever. Nobody sleeps past nine in this house. LOL

I recently adopted a cat that would get me up at 4 a.m. For a retired person (me) that doesn't go to bed till 1 a.m., this was not a good thing. I kept her for a couple of months hoping she would change her ways, but ended up having to take her back. Still feel bad about doing that, but I need to get enough sleep, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement