U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 04:01 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

My smoke alarm goes off when I stir fry, I suppose of the heat. Why do they always put the smoke alarm next to the kitchen? I feel for all that are having alarm problems.
My toilet is leaking a bit. It's a slow leak & I contacted the handiman who lives here & he'll look at it but he's not a plumber & May have to contact one, but since it's a holiday, he may not be able to get one until Tuesday & he's the school bus driver & goes back to work Tuesday. It only started last night, nothing I could help. He'll figure something out I'm sure but it won't be easy.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My smoke alarm goes off when I stir fry, I suppose of the heat. Why do they always put the smoke alarm next to the kitchen? I feel for all that are having alarm problems.
My toilet is leaking a bit. It's a slow leak & I contacted the handiman who lives here & he'll look at it but he's not a plumber & May have to contact one, but since it's a holiday, he may not be able to get one until Tuesday & he's the school bus driver & goes back to work Tuesday. It only started last night, nothing I could help. He'll figure something out I'm sure but it won't be easy.
If what you mean by a leak is that when the toilet fills back up there's a trickling noise, it means that the mechanism that shuts the water off needs to be adjusted. Putting a brick (a regular brick) inside displaces the water and makes the water level higher, which might be enough pressure to force the valve to shut the water off inside the tank after a flush. There are adjustments that can be made on the mechanism to accomplish the same thing, but in the meantime try the brick (now where to get one of those....).

Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 PM

Ha, ha. Have no idea where to find that brick & now I just realized it may be the sink as the rag by the toilet is moist but not wet. The one by the sink was soaked. There is no drip from the pipes & they are dry. It's a mystery.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:29 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
I caught a pic of anticrepuscular rays as the sun set this evening. I love looking at the sky.
Google helped me find what this is.

Chat Thread-image.jpg

Old 09-05-2015, 09:23 PM

That is so beautiful.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:53 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post

I think I have the mystery solved. The unoccupied bedroom is the coldest. The window is always fogged up in the morning, and this is where the relatively new detector resides. I am going to close the ac vent and the bedroom door tonight and see if that helps.

(yada, yada, yada)

Most irritating is that I used to be very handy

It worked! No condensation on the window and no beeping alarm. I love the internet! It makes being old so much easier.

boogie'smom

meo, good luck with your leak.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanks newcomputer. The handyman came down & it's still a mystery. My rags were obviously wet but no amount of flushing or running the sink water produced water on the floor. He's calling a plumber but obviously won't come until after Tuesday. May be the toilet seal. Who knows. It takes a long time -overnight- for the rags to get wet so whatever it is, it's very slow.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:33 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Not everyone who posts on the retirement board is...retired that is. So for those of you who aren't I hope you're enjoying tour Labor (3) Day weekend. For now, this and others are things to look forward to. Once retired you'll likely find that they're times to hole-up at home with good food and drink and avoid the crowds and crazy drivers.

Come to think of it, I avoid crowds, stores and driving on all weekends.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:31 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
I remember when I worked full time for the state that we (in our unit) would get out our new calendars in January and mark off all the holidays for the year right away. This was so we would never forget when we had a 3 day weekend ! LOL Now, every weekend is 3 days, or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7...

Old 09-06-2015, 04:59 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I remember when I worked full time for the state that we (in our unit) would get out our new calendars in January and mark off all the holidays for the year right away. This was so we would never forget when we had a 3 day weekend ! LOL Now, every weekend is 3 days, or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7...
A benefit of working was that you always knew what day it was. A benefit of retirement is that you likely don't, nor do you care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement