U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times

Advertisements

I was on the phone with my daughter in Massachusetts. We always watched the Today show together, me in Tennessee and her at home in Massachusetts, so we saw it happen at the same time. I felt sick with the realization that she was so far away. That this thing was happening and we had no way of knowing what would happen next.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:12 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That was a day I called in to work and said I wasn't coming in. My oldest son and is wife lived in CT and both worked in NYC. I wasn't going to go to work until I knew their status. She normally got off the subway at the twin towers but had an errand that morning that caused her to get off one station further so she barely missed the tower collapses. I was getting ready for work and had the TV on to listen to the news so I rushed into the living room and watched all but the first hit live. I immediately stated trying to call my son and daughter-in-law but the circuits were always busy. I kept trying until about 4:00 p.m. when my son was able to get through and tell us the two of them were fine.

My former office in the Pentagon (Army Captain) was "ground-zero" of that plane hit. For me that was somewhat surreal. It hit too close to home.
Gee whiz, Curm. You have had a very very interesting life, at least to me anyway. I have such respect for former military and you seem to have done it all. The Pentagon? Wow. I am impressed. I think YOU should play Jack Reacher in the upcoming film, instead of Tom Cruise. Just sayin'.....

Old 09-12-2015, 03:18 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Gee whiz, Curm. You have had a very very interesting life, at least to me anyway. I have such respect for former military and you seem to have done it all. The Pentagon? Wow. I am impressed. I think YOU should play Jack Reacher in the upcoming film, instead of Tom Cruise. Just sayin'.....
It's had its moments. Perhaps that's why I'm gittin' old an' worn out! 'Course, it might just 'cause I was married.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:51 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
I will never forget that day. And now, to top it all off, tonight is the anniversary of my beloved step fathers' passing in 2012. Trust me, I will never forget 9/11 or 9/12.

Add to that the 10/12 terror threat (I forget what year) landed my mom who was coming to visit me having to spend the night at the Philly airport b/c it was locked down.

It's kinda weird, I was born three weeks before JFK was shot. 9/11 was my JFK moment, looking back in retrospect.

Yikes, Notre Dame is losing, spending the night listening to DH cursing the TV. At least if he's cursing he's alive.

Carpe Diem y'all.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:32 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That was a day I called in to work and said I wasn't coming in. My oldest son and is wife lived in CT and both worked in NYC. I wasn't going to go to work until I knew their status. She normally got off the subway at the twin towers but had an errand that morning that caused her to get off one station further so she barely missed the tower collapses. I was getting ready for work and had the TV on to listen to the news so I rushed into the living room and watched all but the first hit live. I immediately stated trying to call my son and daughter-in-law but the circuits were always busy. I kept trying until about 4:00 p.m. when my son was able to get through and tell us the two of them were fine.

My former office in the Pentagon (Army Captain) was "ground-zero" of that plane hit. For me that was somewhat surreal. It hit too close to home.
That is just "too close to home". I can imagine the worry and 'sweat' you went through until you heard they were okay. And I'm glad you were no longer in that office at the Pentagon! I'd never have got to 'meet' you and that would have been a loss.

I was off work the day it happened, in my room on the computer. My cousin/room mate was in the living room watching TV...he was off too. He yelled at me to turn on my TV so I did, just about five minutes before the second plane crashed into Tower 2. I was so shocked and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also, I had already scheduled my vacation to start two days later so I went ahead with it. I had a good time and a miserable time. Good time meeting new friends, etc. and miserable time because every night in the motel it was just constant 9-11 news that depressed the crap out of me. I probably should have put off vacation...

Old 09-13-2015, 12:10 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
I'm just finishing up a three week road trip around England and 911 was well covered here. It was all over the tv, the firefighters slogging through waist deep dust and debris, not being able to breathe, pulling a few survivors out here and there, people searching for their lost family members. It brought back memories of that horrible day that changed our lives forever.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:24 PM

16,598 posts, read 10,552,578 times
I've often wondered if they chose that date because of our 911 emergency call system or if it was just coincidence.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I've often wondered if they chose that date because of our 911 emergency call system or if it was just coincidence.
Either way, they both seem to have worked.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:01 PM

32,519 posts, read 37,194,693 times
On a positive note.....

Go see A Walk in the Woods with Redford and Nolte. If you are a Senior you'll appreciate the movie and it's got good laughs.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Got to admit that I'm addicted to C-D Three days without internet and I was going crazy so can't imagine how I'll do when I start traveling next month lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement