U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 08:57 PM

237 posts, read 197,200 times

Advertisements

Don't leave us, Lenora!!!! Your knowledge and insight can't be replaced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
Been a little chilly in the morning here lately. Had to turn the heat on early Saturday morning. Getting that time of year. Just a few more weeks and we'll have to put our camper away.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Don't leave us, Lenora!!!! Your knowledge and insight can't be replaced!
I agree

Old 09-21-2015, 09:41 AM

2,907 posts, read 4,627,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I've had some success in taking some breaks from C-D but haven't been able to completely cut it out. I'll keep trying, though.

Grrrr, I probably need to shut down my internet access. <sigh>
Please don't leave...I always enjoy your posts.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times
Autumn officially begins on Sept. 23rd around 4 AM!

Here in Philly the Fall foliage doesn't "peak" until about Nov. 1st, but I'm already noticing some yellow leaves on the Honey Locust trees and the London Planes are turning a shade of olive green.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
It has turned very cold here today. Cold and dry like a desert climate. Our foliage season is mid October but it's not a big deal to me anymore. We used to get in the car and drive to find the most spectacular places for brightly colored foliage. Then you're stop and buy cider and apples. You'd battle the traffic jams all day long and at the end of the day you felt like you had accomplished that requisite rite of fall. What you were supposed to do. I feel like ho hum these past few years. New England Burnout?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 PM

16,586 posts, read 10,538,008 times
I don't know, in_newengland.

I've always lived where the leaves change color and after 66 years (well, not quite but since I've been aware of the change) I have never gotten bored with it.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:01 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I don't know, in_newengland.

I've always lived where the leaves change color and after 66 years (well, not quite but since I've been aware of the change) I have never gotten bored with it.
That's a good attitude and I think that's how most people feel. Fall is gorgeous here. It's the last hurrah, the swan song.

For me (trying not to be morose) fall is now a sad time. My dad's funeral was held when the foliage was at its height. It felt ironic and cruel. My mother died the next November. That was long ago but it affected my feelings for fall. It is also the time the gardens die. I just don't like it anymore.

But for those who still love it, get ready and make sure you hit the road when the timing is right. If you wait and it rains or is stormy most of the leaves get knocked off the trees. Got to have those cold frosty nights and bright sunny days. Then=WOW.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
It's hard when a season harbors sadness. I know I also feel the same sometimes. I find myself still looking for 4 season places to move to, just not as drastic as Minnesota is.

I used to love it here and always considered it home but with Mom gone, it's just not the same.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 PM

8,761 posts, read 9,832,522 times
[quote=meo92953;41286864]It's hard when a season harbors sadness. I know I also feel the same sometimes. I find myself still looking for 4 season places to move to, just not as drastic as Minnesota is.

I used to love it here and always considered it home but with Mom gone, it's just not the same.[/quote]

It isn't the same, is it? I miss my mom a lot. Sometimes things happen that I wish I could tell her and I can't. Things I'd like her opinion about, and I can't ask. But, you know, I still feel like she's with me and is still my 'prayer warrior'. I guess I'm lucky that I still love it here and it's still 'home' to me.

I have always wanted to see fall in New England and I've never made it. I did, however, experience fall in Arkansas twice and wow, was I impressed! I would think Arkansas might be a good place to get the four seasons. I really liked Arkansas and the small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement