U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I brought my new cat home today. I'm naming her GG (good girl). She came right out of the crate and ran right behind the couch. Might be a while before she comes out.
Cats can be so predictable at times. Enjoy her when she finally emerges. I have two rescue cats here at home - used to have a third but found her another home as she didn't play well with others - and for the most part they all have distinct personalities. I've actually come to enjoy them after years as a dog person.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:23 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
I just started feeding the cutest tuxedo cat who now wants to come in the house and play with my own cat and 2 dogs. Ha ! He is feral, but not very much. Has the clipped ear, so has been a TNR, and now I don't think he wants to be "out there" anymore. Don't know what to do. He camps out on the patio and my 2 dogs will chase him if I let them out. Another dilemma.

What does GG look like NYGal??

Old 09-26-2015, 12:50 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
PhxBarb: GG is described in her paperwork as a tortie lynx point...... I have never heard of that (lynx point).
Her face, back of her head is a grey tiger type. Her back is quite dark (might be black) with patches of orange, her belly is lighter, but that's as far as I have gotten. Green eyes (I like green). She has the sweetest meow I have ever heard. She is small, about 7.5 lbs and they claim her b'day is 7/23/14. So she is quite young. Can't wait for her to come out so I can "show her around" (food and water dishes, her toilet). All in good time.

I hope you can adopt Mr. Tuxedo.

Curmudgeon: GG was at our local SPCA, brought to them as a stray. So she is a rescue, too. Rescues are the only kind I'd adopt. So many of them. Felt guilty (a little) taking her out of there while some other cats watched from their cages. Some are true seniors, 10, 12, 14. If I could, I would take them all.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:07 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I brought my new cat home today. I'm naming her GG (good girl). She came right out of the crate and ran right behind the couch. Might be a while before she comes out.
GG sounds adorable! Many years ago, friends talked me into adopting a tom cat. They had been feeding him and he was wanting to be inside. Well I got him home and he immediately disappeared. At first, I thought he had found some way out of my home especially as a few weeks passed by without seeing him. We had checked everywhere for him, even using a flash light and checking the rafters in the basement.

Imagine my surprise when he appeared on the basement steps over a month later! After that he settled right in, and I could never figure out where he had hidden as there were not any piles in the basement or elsewhere in the house.

Good luck with GG!

Old 09-26-2015, 03:17 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Deelighted: Thank you!! She came out after about an hour and has proven herself to be a loving, sweet girl. She needs to put some weight on, tho. Kind of skinny. She'll eat good here!!!

Love the story about the tom who came to live with you (somewhere!!). Aren't they the most amazing animals?? Their instincts are so good, they know just what they need and want, and get it somehow. I'm so glad he finally came out of hiding for you!

Old 09-26-2015, 05:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Best wishes with your new child, NY2gal.

We trapped a feral once at DH's work. The owner had haired someone to trap some strays and was going to drown them. We trapped Merlin and Big Red before they had the chance.

Merlin hid out in the laundry room (partial basement, we're built into a hill) and slept tucked away on the top of the foundation for six months. He would come out at night to feed and do his business.

Eventually he became part of our huge at the time kitty family. We could never pet him but the other cats loved him. He was a big grey guy and the little ones would pile up on him like he was a sofa. Happy times.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:19 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,173,596 times
NYgal2NC I am so sorry for your loss. I feel like I check these threads daily but I guess I missed some. So sorry.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:33 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
My little calico girl, now 13, was feral and it took us two years to gentle her. She's been more than worth the love and care we poured into her. She was six months old when we adopted her. Interestingly enough, we'd seen her on the evening news being rescued from a well she fell down at six weeks of age. You had to feel sorry for the vet tech who did the honors. As soon as he started to loosen the noose he'd snagged her with she bit his hand all the way to bone.

The newest one, my boy kitty, now two, is profoundly Bengal and huge; smart as a whip, curious as all get out, an escape artist par excellence but never goes far or for long, affectionate to beat the band and just plain fun.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:34 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Our first cat was a diluted calico kitten (gray/tan/white) my son found under a village plow when he was six. His babysitter called to tell me there was something he needed to tell me when he got home. I ran through all the scenarios of what he could have possibly done that he needed to tell me in the three minutes it took him to get from the babysitters to home. When he burst through the door shouting "I found a cat, can I keep it, can I keep it, please?" I was so relieved I immediately said yes before I thought about it.

That was the start of 33 years of loving cats.

NYgal2NC, yay for trying again and pics when you can!

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-26-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
So my inside cat, Callie, is 15.75 and a long hair calico. Her vision and her brain are slowly going downhill. Since cats are scorpion killers (so they say), I have to tell you she missed one last night and he stung me. It was a Bark Scorpion, has bad venom, and it hurt like an electric shock that started in my little toe and traveled up my leg almost to the knee with needles and pins. Hard time sleeping. Not much to do except ice and antihistamine. The thing is, I had just sprayed around the house the day before, so don't know how the little devil got inside. Just another reason to leave AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement