U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 01:37 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So my inside cat, Callie, is 15.75 and a long hair calico. Her vision and her brain are slowly going downhill. Since cats are scorpion killers (so they say), I have to tell you she missed one last night and he stung me. It was a Bark Scorpion, has bad venom, and it hurt like an electric shock that started in my little toe and traveled up my leg almost to the knee with needles and pins. Hard time sleeping. Not much to do except ice and antihistamine. The thing is, I had just sprayed around the house the day before, so don't know how the little devil got inside. Just another reason to leave AZ.
Wow, I feel for you Barb. I was stung by two wasps this summer & they were very painful. I can't imagine what a scorpion sting would be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
PhxBarb: Oh, so sorry to hear that! I thought all scorpions were poisonous. I hope the pain goes away very soon. You are right, good reason to leave AZ. Hope it is soon for you!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,217,266 times
PhxBarb - ouch - hope things are better soon.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:27 PM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
PhxBarb -- Sorry to hear about your scorpion bite! I hope you are doing a little better by now. I have never seen one. My daughter and SIL saw a couple in their Tempe apt. near ASU, including one on their bed! They have since moved further from campus. One time I worked in an office very close to a Mountain Preserve, on the first floor. We had a file room, and one time an older lady had to go in there looking for a file, and came out with a scorpion bite on her foot! She swelled up quite a bit, went to the Dr., and was told to stay off her foot until the swelling went down. Workman's Comp had to pay the bills. Take care, PhxBarb!!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:36 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
There are all sorts of scorpions, including the kind who lie in wait on City-Data, but at least their stings do not cause any physical pain and moderators can usually be persuaded to remove them. The City-Data scorpions do serve a function though - they make us appreciate the nice people all the more.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,027,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So my inside cat, Callie, is 15.75 and a long hair calico. Her vision and her brain are slowly going downhill. Since cats are scorpion killers (so they say), I have to tell you she missed one last night and he stung me. It was a Bark Scorpion, has bad venom, and it hurt like an electric shock that started in my little toe and traveled up my leg almost to the knee with needles and pins. Hard time sleeping. Not much to do except ice and antihistamine. The thing is, I had just sprayed around the house the day before, so don't know how the little devil got inside. Just another reason to leave AZ.

You started me studying scorpions, PhxBarb. I know we have them in Tennessee, but they are not as dangerous as your barks. I hope you are feeling better today.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 AM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
Thanks everyone. I am better today, 36 hours later. A Bark scorp never stung me before and it was weird how the numbness and tingling spread up the leg so fast. Very painful. Today I am going to the Bug and Weed store to buy some strong stuff to spray around the house. Others in AZ say alot more scorps this year in the yards.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Eek, Barb, get better and so glad it wasn't a killer. In all the years I lived in SoFla I only saw one scorp and that was in Key Largo. All those years as a kid running around barefoot, never gave it a second thought.......

Old 09-29-2015, 10:14 AM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
I am over it now, thanks. You mean they are in Florida too? I just recently found out they are in Arkansas. We need some kind of campaign to kill these suckers.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Just buried my sister today. Very small, graveside service, rain tapered long enough but there was a tent to stand under. My niece, her boyfriend, her daughter, and me. The funeral director did a wonderful job and I was very pleased. The flowers were beautiful.

So I am the last of the "Smith sisters". Life is for the living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement