U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 06:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times

Advertisements

We've gone from hot Indian summer here to cold and breezy. Lots of rain. The sudden change precipitated in me a nasty cold on top of the fall allergies. I'm trying to decide whether to try to fast (I'm not much good at that, but dh swears by it). They do say feed a cold, but my throat hurts and anything I eat gets me coughing. This is just a preview of the winter months to come, and I'm already not doing well. I've upped all my supplements and was eating quite healthily, so not sure why I have this so early in the season. I'm going to curl up wrapped in blankets with hot lemonade and watch a DVD on (en?) Provence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
We've gone from hot Indian summer here to cold and breezy. Lots of rain. The sudden change precipitated in me a nasty cold on top of the fall allergies. I'm trying to decide whether to try to fast (I'm not much good at that, but dh swears by it). They do say feed a cold, but my throat hurts and anything I eat gets me coughing. This is just a preview of the winter months to come, and I'm already not doing well. I've upped all my supplements and was eating quite healthily, so not sure why I have this so early in the season. I'm going to curl up wrapped in blankets with hot lemonade and watch a DVD on (en?) Provence.
Poor baby. I also suffer from allergies & it is tough. Chicken soup is the best I can offer. That and a neti pot to clean your sinuses. Google it & you'll see how it helps people.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Sorry to hear you don't feel well. Did you get a flu shot? I know some people don't get one, but I get one every year ever since I got the flu a few years in a row. Sicker than sick.

Maybe there is something in the post on medical cures from long ago..... I think some of those really work. Here is hoping you are better very soon.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the well wishing. I slept like a brick last night and woke up feeling really good...so far. I had read to add cardamom powder (a warming spice) and honey to a hot drink (whatever kind of milk) before bedtime for a sound sleep. Seems to have worked, and it's delicious.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
I'm on the down side of a cold and recovering. Getting the NY house ready to close and opening the FL one is a lot of work, along with the drive and then.... I'm exposed to the grandkid germs. Not a good combo. This is the second year this has happened, so I need to have a plan for next year.

DH was gone while I ran a fever and was more infectious. I spent some time disinfecting surfaces and washing bedding yesterday. He has no idea how much I love him, because that was the last thing I wanted to do.

I noticed on a nighttime OTC med I took the one night, being >60 is a possible complication. Not feeling well, that bothered me more than it should have.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I'm on the down side of a cold and recovering. Getting the NY house ready to close and opening the FL one is a lot of work, along with the drive and then.... I'm exposed to the grandkid germs. Not a good combo. This is the second year this has happened, so I need to have a plan for next year.

DH was gone while I ran a fever and was more infectious. I spent some time disinfecting surfaces and washing bedding yesterday. He has no idea how much I love him, because that was the last thing I wanted to do.

I noticed on a nighttime OTC med I took the one night, being >60 is a possible complication. Not feeling well, that bothered me more than it should have.
Yes, it probably was the grandkids, who are now in daycare and who came here last week with runny noses and a cough. I didn't connect the dots, being new at this. They come here once a week for a day. If I wear a mask that would feel unnatural and weird, they'll report that to their mother who will think that I'm the one handing out the germs. A cold for me is tough to handle because it's on top of seasonal allergy. I"m always trying to build up my immune system but sometimes I think my location is the problem; I never had an allergy to anything the years we lived in the Midwest.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
It may be your current location but the immune system does start going down as we age and is the reason for the recommendations for the many vaccines for those over the age of 60. You were younger in the Midwest with a better immune system and that may be something to consider.

Grandkids are incubators and my little one hasn't had a lot of one on one kid exposure (beside his sister) so he's building his immune system while I'm just trying to keep mine up the best I can.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:29 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
It's horrible outside. I'm inside, roasting a chicken, but dh just came in from walking the dog and he says it's a howling gale out there. I'm hoping the oven will warm the house because I'm trying to hold off turning the heat on.

I've had good luck taking zinc and elderberry lozenges that I got at the health food store. Only problem is that they taste so good that I end up eating them like candy. But they do seem to knock a cold out before it gets bad.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's horrible outside. I'm inside, roasting a chicken, but dh just came in from walking the dog and he says it's a howling gale out there. I'm hoping the oven will warm the house because I'm trying to hold off turning the heat on.

I've had good luck taking zinc and elderberry lozenges that I got at the health food store. Only problem is that they taste so good that I end up eating them like candy. But they do seem to knock a cold out before it gets bad.

Sorry to hear about your weather. How close to the storm area are you? Our weather people say it is veering to the right and should miss the coast. But do they know what they are talking about?

Thank you for the info on zinc and elderberry lozenges. I need to try them.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:44 PM

I just found out (after living here for 4 years) that I could have claimed all of my medical expenses which in turn would have lowered the rent. I went over to the people who did this when I first moved in and was told no.

New mgmt., I hear they in fact do. Geeze when I think of all the medical I've had in the past 4 years and never claimed. I heard they do not pay retro-active, which does not surprise me.

Before 2015 I did not have the good medical insurance I have now and paid out a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement