U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

Advertisements

Not to ignore Riverbird's post but I always look up any medication the dr prescribes. There are quite a few that I just ended up throwing out after I read the side effects. In addition, my cousin was almost put into a nursing home for dementia. Turned out her memory loss disappeared when the dr discontinued a prescription.

For allergies I take the Astelin that was mentioned and I do like it. I've used it for years off and on.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:18 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^ That just reminded me of a long ago "relative" I had..... Aunt Alice. Poor thing grew up in a family that did not look into her medical condition and more or less "sentenced" her to being mentally impaired. Turned out the woman suffered from epilepsy.

She missed out on so much (her whole life IMHO).

Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Nygal, that is so sad. The poor woman.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 AM

16,598 posts, read 10,552,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
^^^ That just reminded me of a long ago "relative" I had..... Aunt Alice. Poor thing grew up in a family that did not look into her medical condition and more or less "sentenced" her to being mentally impaired. Turned out the woman suffered from epilepsy.

She missed out on so much (her whole life IMHO).
If it was that long ago there might not have been anything they could have done. There has been so much progress in medicine in (relatively) recent years. We tend to look at what can't be cured or treated instead of all the things that can be.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,269,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Anyway, she's an elegant dog and doesn't bark...her weird habit is that she regularly makes a tear in every fleece cover or sheet we put over her bed. The tear is a PERFECT "L," the first letter of her name. No kidding. I mean a perfect L, with a clean angle at the corner of the vertical and horizontal meeting point. Always the same size, about 4" high. It reminds me of a "Z" for Zorro. It freaks me out, making me wonder first how on earth she does it (with teeth or claws) and second WHY. This dog, other than being dear, has no other talents to speak of.
Dogs have quirks just like people. No way really to know why she tears the fleece, and she may not be doing it intentionally. Maybe it is a way for her to lay claim to it, maybe she likes the way it feels to tear it, maybe she tears it with one of her toenails when she "makes" her bed, maybe she gets a toenail or dew claw caught and tears the sheet, maybe maybe maybe

My dogs have their share of quirks. My female is an interior designer who likes to rearrange anything that isn't nailed down- not destructive mind you, but she moves the dog beds from room to room, undresses my bed, moves the floor mats around My boy digs up anything he considers his bed including the actual dog beds, MY bed, the couch, etc. He isn't destructive just likes his bedding to be "just so".

Back to your question though- some of the covers I put on the sofa do have L-shaped tears in them as a result of my boy digging through them to get comfortable, so I wonder if maybe your pup is similarly re-arranging her bedding and inadvertently tearing them with her nails?

Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Dogs have quirks just like people. No way really to know why she tears the fleece, and she may not be doing it intentionally. Maybe it is a way for her to lay claim to it, maybe she likes the way it feels to tear it, maybe she tears it with one of her toenails when she "makes" her bed, maybe she gets a toenail or dew claw caught and tears the sheet, maybe maybe maybe

My dogs have their share of quirks. My female is an interior designer who likes to rearrange anything that isn't nailed down- not destructive mind you, but she moves the dog beds from room to room, undresses my bed, moves the floor mats around My boy digs up anything he considers his bed including the actual dog beds, MY bed, the couch, etc. He isn't destructive just likes his bedding to be "just so".

Back to your question though- some of the covers I put on the sofa do have L-shaped tears in them as a result of my boy digging through them to get comfortable, so I wonder if maybe your pup is similarly re-arranging her bedding and inadvertently tearing them with her nails?
Thanks, TP, I was going to DM you about this. First, Lily ("L") is almost 8 yrs old, so she's not a pup. She started doing this about a year ago. I just don't know how she manages to replicate a perfect L, the same size every time. It happens overnight, since I'm around her during the day. She's done this to a number of nice fleece blankets, including her own, and also to a few sheets (put down for her on her bed in hot summer weather). She also did the L on the zippered cover of her bed. Could this be sibling rivalry?? (we have the 3-yr-old male JRT, who dominates).

Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,269,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Could this be sibling rivalry?? (we have the 3-yr-old male JRT, who dominates).
Not likely sibling rivalry- dogs don't think that way. In any dog-dog relationship there is always one dog who is able to score more in terms of resources (who is more "dominant"), e.g. attention, treats, preferred sleeping place, toys, etc, but unless there are other signs of stress from your girl such as change in personality, inappropriate pottying or chewing, excessive licking, fights requiring vet visit, etc, so no, don't think it is a "dominance" issue.

It is possible something changed in the household about a year ago or something happened to change her behavior just a bit, but unless there are other issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If she is like my boy, she may be tearing the sheets/coverlets when she arranges her bed to get comfortable. As fabric has a warp and weft (are those the correct terms?), it makes sense that it would tear in both directions to make that "L" shape

We humans want to make sense out of things we don't understand, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it can get tricky with dogs since our respective thought processes are so different. I would just say, hey my dog does this wacky thing with sheets, no biggie. It doesn't sound like she is doing it intentionally or being destructive, rather it is just a by-product of her sleep habits.

I dedicate certain sheets and/or coverlets to my dogs so that a rip is just a rip in her bedding, and after it becomes unusable it gets tossed into the trash. I do buy all my doggie sheets/bedding that I use on the couch at Goodwill so it isn't a huge expenditure if something gets irreparably damaged.

Overall- just enjoy your girl's doggy nature, be glad she is healthy and happy, and appreciate that she has her own unique personality!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Couldn't rep you again, twelvepaw, but thank you! We love these dogs like our own kids. Lily is a purebred, whom we originally got as a puppy to be a comfort for an older rescue of the same breed who had been badly abused. That worked really well. Lily, now 7, is not high maintenance, and she's not a barker. She's a really cool presence in our house. She's one of those shy dogs whose thrill is to be out walking the trails with dh. I just worried that this habit of hers may be indicating some kind of anxiety. I don't really care about the blankets she's ruined (well, I sorta do!). In some ways her habit is amusing. All these "L's" are exactly the same size.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:25 AM

Another gorgeous "Indian Summer" day here in New England. This year the reds are richer than ever, on some trees spectacular. On the highway I see many tour buses that come through this time of year. The fall festivals are in full swing, and kids are making scarecrows and ghosts and picking orchard apples from wagons. The weather is perfect, the best time of year for this part of the country.

How's the fall doing in other parts of the country? I hope SC does not get the predicted rain. We have a poster (accufitgolf?) in Columbia SC—hoping he'll check in and post.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:04 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Hot as h*|| down in the lower left corner. Our 'summer' (usually mid-July to mid-September) is hanging on far too long! Hopefully this'll be the last heat wave for this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement