Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've only ever had one ticket and it cost me $185...at Christmas and no job! lol I couldn't deny the ticket either since it was one of those camera things and, yep, that was me alright! It's been a few years now so don't remember my speed...50 something in a 45, I think. I was gawking at all the new businesses built in the area since I'd been there last and not paying attention. Need I say that I ALWAYS pay attention when I drive through there anymore!
Those of you who have received ONLY one speeding ticket!! You learned a lot quicker than I did, and I sure hope I don't ever forget this one. This is #5 for me. Duh.

To top it off, I got a pail of very cold water thrown on me today when I discovered how badly I had used my credit card. Thankfully, the man in customer service was able to help me. I need to find a 12 step program for people who spend too much.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Gossip is a wicked thing. I try to stay away from it but living in this place, it is sometimes hard to do.

If I had not seen a lawyer, my insurance would have gone up and maybe I would have gotten more points on my driver's license. I guess I could be suspended from driving, too. So for me it was worth seeing the lawyer.

Seriously thinking of bankruptcy. It seems every time I turn around, I get hit with another big bill and I wonder how it's going to get paid. This lawyer and ticket fine really hit me hard.
Wow good luck!

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Those of you who have received ONLY one speeding ticket!! You learned a lot quicker than I did, and I sure hope I don't ever forget this one. This is #5 for me. Duh.

To top it off, I got a pail of very cold water thrown on me today when I discovered how badly I had used my credit card. Thankfully, the man in customer service was able to help me. I need to find a 12 step program for people who spend too much.
I was definitely shocked when I got that thing in the mail! Only ticket in my life but I can't lie and say I "never deserved one" because I probably have.

I got in 'trouble' with credit cards myself years ago but it wasn't from spending too much. It was simply trying to live and survive and pay bills. I had a couple of really rough years in the late 90s/early 2000s but I survived and so will you. I promise.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Here's a 1 step program:

Cut up the credit card and don't ever own one.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:20 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
That's what I did after the bk. Thankfully I had good credit with my bank so when I moved my new bank was gracious. I use my debit card if I need a credit card & it works for me. I'm only using my own money, not a credit card company.

The bk scared me enough that I've never gone over my budget again. And, if I hadn't bought the house, I would never have had to declare bk. You've got to quit using credit cards & follow a budget. That's the only way you're going to get out of debt.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That's what I did after the bk. Thankfully I had good credit with my bank so when I moved my new bank was gracious. I use my debit card if I need a credit card & it works for me. I'm only using my own money, not a credit card company.

The bk scared me enough that I've never gone over my budget again. And, if I hadn't bought the house, I would never have had to declare bk. You've got to quit using credit cards & follow a budget. That's the only way you're going to get out of debt.
Or use a lot of self discipline. If you'd been raised by my mother who grew up in the Depression and was extremely frugal all her life, even when she didn't have to be, you wouldn't have a problem. So I have the reverse problem from you--I cannot spend money. I still save aluminum foil (for the war effort?) and I use credit cards but I pay them right off. Those *&!!#** banks aren't going to get one penny out of me!

Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. They gave me the confidence boost I needed to make a decision. I AM going to wear the red dress. I am also going to wear a pair of black leather pumps with teeny-tiny heels that I purchased a couple of years ago when I testified in court for a friend [ I had researched what is appropriate to wear in court] My stepsons cousin has agreed to do my hair and eyebrows the day of the gala. She will also remind me to shave my legs if I forget. I will wear one of my Autistic Pride necklaces [NO puzzle piece. Never! ] in black, sparkle silver and red with Swarovski crystals for the eyes of the owl and the feathers. The Autistic pride symbol will be on the chest of the owl. I will not put any of my jewelry up for auction, but IF someone expresses interest, I will have an assortment of necklaces in my car, and any proceeds will go to the Autism Society.

As an Autistic person, I will also observe Autistic gathering etiquette[ even though it is not actually an Autistic gathering] and wear a color coded interaction badge which is baking in the oven right now. They are usually plain but mine is studded with flat Swarovski crystals. I found out a few of my friends will be there, and I will make them badges as well. Possibly other attendees will inquire and that will give me the opportunity to share the reasons behind the badges and how they make life easier for us. I will also wear a "YES-NO" bracelet a friend made for me in case I "lose my words."

I hopefully will not need them, but I will slip a pair of collapsible sound-proof headphones and dark sunglasses into my bag and not be embarrassed to wear them if needed.

I am starting to look forward to this event. I wish you all could come as well.
Your outfit and jewelry sound perfect. Have a wonderful time!

Old 10-15-2015, 06:28 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
NY2gal, just a thought; check out your local senior center for what they offer. Here's a quickie from the NYS website.

DFS - Credit & Debt

vicky, so happy for you! May your evening be a joy.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:17 AM

CCc girl: Thank you for the link. I will read it more thoroughly later this morning.

When I wrote saying how badly I have used my credit card, I didn't mean to infer that it was all fluff and stuff. I had some pretty big medical bills to pay, co-pays, surgeries, etc. But I also used it when I needed some groceries and did not have the cash to buy them. I realize more and more I have to start shopping wisely..... not just at the one store I go to every week. I've been trying to cut back from every week to every two weeks with a milk or other necessary item run if needed.

I tend to overspend when I visit my nephew and his family; also I am guilty if I need to replace a piece of clothing.

I have found a great place for getting hair cut. Much cheaper than other salons.

There are a few consignment shops around me, prices are low, sizes not always available.

Social life is coffee with a friend at McDonald's or Burger King. Occasional lunch less than $10.

I do not have cable or other enhanced TV; I use a Terk indoor antenna. My TWC internet is $14.99/month.

I am applying to get my monthly rent lowered. When I moved in here a little over 4 years ago I was told I did not qualify for help so I did not pursue it further. A conversation with another resident here made me realize I needed to check that out again. So I'm getting the necessary paperwork together.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was travel to NC 3 or 4 times to see about moving there. None of it turned up anything that would work and made my peace with staying where I am.

I'm going to wait a little longer before seeing a bankruptcy lawyer. Being who I am, I hate the idea of doing that. But if I can't get things in better shape soon, I'll have to take that route.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 AM

vicky3vicky: I really hope you will write after your night out. It sounds to me like you have great taste, good sense, and talent! I hope it all goes well for you.

It bothers me a lot when I know that people are judging us, only seeing the differences and not the sameness. And some of those people may be harboring some jealousy, too. You are doing what a lot either can't do or won't do.

My late sister went through life with cerebral palsy. I remember the people who stared and did other mean, thoughtless things. Makes me angry.

Keep up the good work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement