U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 01:06 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

Vicki 3Vicki, you'll be lovely. As for losing words, I do it all the time. I just say it's an age thing & you know what? Other people laugh with me & say, "I do the same thing."

Nygal, I'm on a system where I can spend (not overly) one month & the next month I scrimp. That month I use up things in the freezer & cupboards, do not buy anything that's unnecessary. The money I save goes in the bank. It works for me.

I hated doing a bk too, but I had little money left & could no longer make a house payment. There were a lot of older workers in the same boat I was in & really, in the end we had to do it.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
NY2gal, are you sure you are taking advantage of all the resources available to you? SNAP? Food pantry? NY is the king of assistance states. Please get in touch with social services if you haven't already.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
NY2gal, are you sure you are taking advantage of all the resources available to you? SNAP? Food pantry? NY is the king of assistance states. Please get in touch with social services if you haven't already.
Just sent you a P.M.

I do need to check those things out. I did talk to someone fairly recently and after she took my info she said I might not qualify for help. The problem I have is that in my opinion, if I did not have these dang bills, I would be living easier (and not complaining). It's making those payments that keeps me cash poor. Maybe an adviser would be a good thing to help me over this big bump in my life.

The latest bump came when I checked what my next credit card payment amount would be. $454.00. I have never had a bill like that, it is usually about $118. I called the customer service rep for my credit card and spoke with someone who said my card was a signature card. I could charge up to $6500 and make normal payments, but anything over the $6500, all has to be paid in the next month's bill. I must have forgotten that, no doubt thinking I would never charge that much. Ha!

NY state does have a hefty welfare program, but we in the middle of the state tend to think the City gets most of it.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM

PM back.

You're in Syracuse, that's a pretty big city. But you'll never find out what you can get help with if you don't start being proactive. You worked for years to support these very programs. Use them. People live pretty well up here being deadbeats and our county social services budget isn't nearly as big as Syracuse's.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Vicki 3Vicki, you'll be lovely. As for losing words, I do it all the time. I just say it's an age thing & you know what? Other people laugh with me & say, "I do the same thing."

Nygal, I'm on a system where I can spend (not overly) one month & the next month I scrimp. That month I use up things in the freezer & cupboards, do not buy anything that's unnecessary. The money I save goes in the bank. It works for me.

I hated doing a bk too, but I had little money left & could no longer make a house payment. There were a lot of older workers in the same boat I was in & really, in the end we had to do it.
I really appreciate your sharing your situation and telling me how you have managed it. I think you have a pretty good system. I need to resist the urge to spend more thinking oh well, I'll pay it (eventually). Obviously, that has not happened.

Another poster suggested I cut up my credit card. Nice idea if there was money to back up car repair, oil changes, new tires, etc.

I currently have less than $100 in a credit union saving account. I have about $7000 in a money market saving. But afraid to use it in case of emergency. Also would increase my rent if I used it as income and I am currently trying to document reason why my rent should be reduced.

Why am I so intimidated of my financial planner when he advises not using it to pay bills? I'm really confused about what to do.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:18 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I really appreciate your sharing your situation and telling me how you have managed it. I think you have a pretty good system. I need to resist the urge to spend more thinking oh well, I'll pay it (eventually). Obviously, that has not happened.

Another poster suggested I cut up my credit card. Nice idea if there was money to back up car repair, oil changes, new tires, etc.

I currently have less than $100 in a credit union saving account. I have about $7000 in a money market saving. But afraid to use it in case of emergency. Also would increase my rent if I used it as income and I am currently trying to document reason why my rent should be reduced.

Why am I so intimidated of my financial planner when he advises not using it to pay bills? I'm really confused about what to do.
That would be me. If you cannot even afford to save up for an oil change then yes, you are in financial trouble.

And if you are only paying minimum the interest is racking up which only increases your debt.

Anyone can declare bankruptcy. My sister did it years ago. She realized she could not manage credit cards and got herself way over her head in debt.

Once the debt was all gone she got a secured credit card, one where you had to have money in the bank to cover it and the card would be rejected if you went over. And that is how she's lived since.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Onondaga County Department of Social Services - Economic Security (DSS-ES)

Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That would be me. If you cannot even afford to save up for an oil change then yes, you are in financial trouble.

And if you are only paying minimum the interest is racking up which only increases your debt.

Anyone can declare bankruptcy. My sister did it years ago. She realized she could not manage credit cards and got herself way over her head in debt.

Once the debt was all gone she got a secured credit card, one where you had to have money in the bank to cover it and the card would be rejected if you went over. And that is how she's lived since.

Thank you HappyTexan. Yes, I fill that description, can't save for oil change, only pay the minimum payments, etc.

I think one of the problems I'm having about bankruptcy is pride. Guilt (why didn't I do something earlier?) and won't those creditors be mad at me for doing this "to them", do I deserve it? I always think it is all my fault so I have to fix it.

Well, it is not ALL my fault and obviously I am not fixing it.

You just gave me a dose of courage, thank you.

So many very helpful people here. Can't thank them enough for having the patience.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you HappyTexan. Yes, I fill that description, can't save for oil change, only pay the minimum payments, etc.

I think one of the problems I'm having about bankruptcy is pride. Guilt (why didn't I do something earlier?) and won't those creditors be mad at me for doing this "to them", do I deserve it? I always think it is all my fault so I have to fix it.

Well, it is not ALL my fault and obviously I am not fixing it.

You just gave me a dose of courage, thank you.

So many very helpful people here. Can't thank them enough for having the patience.
I know what you're talking about but those days are long gone.
People now boast about how many bankruptcies and foreclosures they have behind them.
Unbelievable but true.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Serious question for those suggesting bankruptcy.
Knowing she had $7000 put away,(assuming it's not in an IRA or other similar account) would that even be granted without using it first a large portion of it to decrease debt?
I think NYS allows around $2500 to be kept.
Question is obviously irrelevant if she's already said it's a qualified retirement account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement