U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Serious question for those suggesting bankruptcy.
Knowing she had $7000 put away,(assuming it's not in an IRA or other similar account) would that even be granted without using it first a large portion of it to decrease debt?
I think NYS allows around $2500 to be kept.
Question is obviously irrelevant if she's already said it's a qualified retirement account.
I have not as yet consulted a lawyer regarding bankruptcy. If and when I do, I would ask these questions first and decide from there. I am looking for better ways to get my problem under control. I am getting paperwork together to see if I qualify for lower rent. And I believe those who decide this also consider medical expenses.

With the article I just read this morning regarding increases in medicare premiums, etc., I wonder how a lot of us are expected to keep up with expenses. Once the bills are paid, some of the problems will go away and I won't be is this predicament.

There are many medicare insurances out there that are very attractive when you first see them (no premiums every month), but when you stop to see what your coverage is with these policies, it is really nothing but a crap-shoot....... will I stay healthy this year..... or will I find I have a problem that needs a lot of care. I'm going with the better insurance, at least there are no surprises.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Yesterday was an uplifting day for me. My grandson didn't have preschool so we went to the beach. We got ready and joined the other early birds for the first ferry ride across the ICW to the beach. Our community has a 20 passenger electric boat/docks/beach as part of a settlement after the walkway bridges were removed when the ICW (Intercoastal waterway) was built years ago. It's maintained and run by volunteers.

Being a work day, it was all retirees on the first trip. We had all the usual beach paraphanelia along with shell basket rakes and fishing poles. People set up on the beach and then went for a walk/run or swim. The nearest public beaches are three miles north and south with more after that, so it's almost unlimited beach to use.

I was frankly amazed and happy to see the age of the people out there being active. There were all sizes and fitness levels but everyone was moving, they weren't just planting themselves on the beach. Many seemed to be regulars and they were getting in some cardio-vascular for the day.

Waiting for the ferry and on the five minute trip over, there was lots of chit-chat. One woman had spinal surgery the week before and said she was feeling good but decided not to bring her bag to pick up trash like usual. The volunteer captain when asked, said he would be done at 9 pm and this was at nine in the morning with runs every half hour. He loves what he does and it showed.

Just getting from the dock and using the wood walkway through the mangroves is a good walk and as the morning went on, people came and went on the beach. It was great to see a large elderly population getting out there and enjoying the day.

Chat Thread-image.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-16-2015 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 AM

706 posts, read 808,797 times
Jean, I am familiar with this beach, and have been there. We have dear friends in your town. I love hearing about your adventures with your family. What a beautiful day in Paradise. Thanks so much for sharing.

Marie

Old 10-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Thank you, we love it here. We are not in an upscale gated neighborhood/community and the ferry does have an annual fee, it's not free. We live two miles from the ICW and it's affordable for us here. There are RVs and boats parked in yards and the neighborhoods are an eclectic mix. It's a good fit for us.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:23 AM

706 posts, read 808,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Thank you, we love it here. We are not in an upscale gated neighborhood/community and the ferry does have an annual fee, it's not free. We live two miles from the ICW and it's affordable for us here. There are RVs and boats parked in yards and the neighborhoods are an eclectic mix. It's a good fit for us.
They also have an annual pass for the ferry. They are in a condo. It is a condo within a gated complex of homes and villas. They got a very good deal on it less than 2 years ago, fully furnished. They hit the market at the right time. It is a lovely area, indeed. We are hoping to snowbird there in 2017.

We are headed to Statesville, NC for the weekend. We are attending a balloon festival. I have always wanted to attend the one in New Mexico, so this is the next best thing!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM

Our neighbor across the street owns a condo in that complex that she rents out and several other rentals in the area. Her plan is to move there in a year or so. Right now she has a SFH with xeriscaping all around her house, but it's getting to be more than she enjoys with some health problems now.

We went out to dinner last night and were seated next to a large group who were counseling a couple about moving down here and had all sorts of advice, they were pretty boisterous. That seems to be how most people retire or snowbird here; they have friends in the area to guide them. Our next door neighbor's snowbird from MA and there is a large contingent of their friends from their hometown that do the same every year, either owning homes, condos or seasonal rentals. Some are year round or stay from weeks to six months. Making friends isn't necessary, they are already here for many people.

A balloon festival will be fun, the balloons are so awesome and it's great to go in the early morning as they are bring set up. It sounds like a lovely weekend for you, enjoy. And take pictures!

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-16-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 AM

What does ICW stand for?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 AM

971 posts, read 1,204,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
What does ICW stand for?
I think it is Intercoastal Waterway or similar.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I think it is Intercoastal Waterway or similar.
Thank you.

A lot of people use initials that mean something to them, but don't mean a thing to others. Always nice to know what people are talking about!!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you.

A lot of people use initials that mean something to them, but don't mean a thing to others. Always nice to know what people are talking about!!

I did put it in parentheses in my first post the second time I wrote it, realizing people may not know what it means. I'm sorry you missed it. Acronyms are a blessing and a curse, depending on whether you are writing them or reading them.

Quote:
..... the walkway bridges were removed when the ICW (Intercoastal waterway) was built years ago. It's maintained and run by volunteers.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-16-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement