U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 AM

7,444 posts, read 15,547,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Wahsatch Front is the most pleasant metropolitan area in the world. I'm no city boy but if I were you can believe that's where I'd live. My choice would be Utah County. I'm not LDS.
I have always loved the red rock country around Moab - but the problems with Moab are: tourists, Real Winter and Real Summer. I can cope with either Real Winter OR Real Summer, but, please, not both......

Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,612,787 times
Though I'd share my newest "discovery": green smoothie. I bought a smoothie blender last week and enjoy it tremendously. Husband refuses to drink anything that has "strange" colours, so everything I make is to my taste, and I do it daily.

So far, I've made and drank: kale and strawberries; kale, orange, and mango; spinach, celery, and apple; kale, grapefruit, and banana; spinach, mango, mint, strawberries, and banana; spinach, tomatoes, and blueberries; parsley, banana, and apple; parsley, avocado, and banana; celery, banana, and blueberries; cucumber, zucchini, mango, and tomato. I added honey to most, and yogurt to some.

All the drinks were absolutely delicious, and since I only use fresh vegetables and fruits, nothing frozen, I know they're also very healthy. We eat vegetables and fruits twice daily so I don't actually need to increase the intake, but the drinks taste so good and I feel good drinking them as well, I wish I'd done it sooner.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-20-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM
mlb

3,317 posts, read 2,934,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Wahsatch Front is the most pleasant metropolitan area in the world. I'm no city boy but if I were you can believe that's where I'd live. My choice would be Utah County. I'm not LDS.

You're a very brave man - hah!

They still roll up the sidewalks on Sundays in Utah County.... it's just a little too whitebread for my taste.

As for Moab - I know folks who have lived there forever. You get used to the heat (it's dry) and the snow and it's big enough you can avoid the crowds.

Spring and fall are supremely delightful there.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Though I'd share my newest "discovery": green smoothie. I bought a smoothie blender last week and enjoy it tremendously. Husband refuses to drink anything that has "strange" colours, so everything I make is to my taste, and I do it daily.

So far, I've made and drank: kale and strawberries; kale, orange, and mango; spinach, celery, and apple; kale, grapefruit, and banana; spinach, mango, mint, strawberries, and banana; spinach, tomatoes, and blueberries; parsley, banana, and apple; parsley, avocado, and banana; celery, banana, and blueberries; cucumber, zucchini, mango, and tomato. I added honey to most, and yogurt to some.

All the drinks were absolutely delicious, and since I only use fresh vegetables and fruits, nothing frozen, I know they're also very healthy. We eat vegetables and fruits twice daily so I don't actually need to increase the intake, but the drinks taste so good and I feel good drinking them as well, I wish I'd done it sooner.
I was out looking at those today - now you have talked me into it. Sounds really good!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,019,889 times
The forecast is calling for a rain/snow mix on Tuesday. The way things are going it will be snowing in May!

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,612,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
The way things are going it will be snowing in May!
Doesn't matter how short our winter is, we almost always have one snow fall in May, just before Mother's Day and smack dab in the middle of a beautiful spring.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,141,863 times
Quote:
The forecast is calling for a rain/snow mix on Tuesday. The way things are going it will be snowing in May!
The weather in Texas is pretty weird as well. Nights going down to 40 or even lower in mid April.
Should have had all my indoor veggie starts out there by now but holding off.

That quilt keeps getting put away and then taken out as we get these cold fronts blowing through every few days.

I have a poor tomato plant I bought and planted that has died off and restarted growth three times now.
Boy those plants are resilient.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
mlb

3,317 posts, read 2,934,891 times
Quote:

Mid-June it is not uncommon to still see snow on the mountain tops here in the Rockies.

The "spring" flower displays in the upper elevations are not possible - until July.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post

I bet your hubby would love a peach smoothie (with frozen or fresh peaches), the color is lovely. I add ground up flax seed (golden) and ground chia seeds to the mix, both highly nutritious. What is a smoothie blender? I use a regular blender. For juicing I have a Breville.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM

9,666 posts, read 11,120,907 times
I received a bushel of Florida Valencias about a week ago; they're superlative, far better than the Californias. I only use a manual juicer because the power juicers go into the rind and impart a bitter taste. This is even true with dedicated orange juicers at grocery stores. Sometimes something very simple is truly wonderful. I'll order another bushel to be shipped next Friday; shipping ends on April 30th.

I've been doing some good thins with Haagen Daaz vanilla ice cream as well. I bought some Morello Cheeries in Kirsch imported from France. A few cherries and a bit of the liqeuer imparts a wondrous taste. I also tried Cointreau over the ice cream as well as a mixture of creme de cacao and creme de menthe, less of the latter. Everything was really great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement